Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:42 PM

23 posts, read 32,019 times

Advertisements

Why can't a school district just get rid of all of them? Seriously. I
don't know anything about teacher contracts with school districts, but
when they expire can't they just all be let go? Let them all go in June
and replace them by September. Qualified school teachers are a dime a
dozen on Long Island. They can be replaced within a few days.
I'd like to hear some opinions from those who are in the know about this.
Has this ever been tried on Long Island? Elsewhere? What are the legal
issues involved?

It doesn't make sense to me that approximately 50,000 people are so
easily able to bully around approximately 3 million.

Please don't turn this thread into bashing teachers. I don't want the
thread quickly closed, as some would like. (I will find other forums BTW).
We all know the issues. We all know it's out of control. What I want to know
is what can be done to fix it.

Now cue up the Teachers Defense League Talking Points: Masters degree,
the children, why don't you try teaching for a day, blah, blah, blah.

I'm talking about Supply and Demand. Very simple.

Last edited by HelpSaveLongIsland; 05-13-2010 at 06:51 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,892 times
No we shouldn't fire them, won't someone think of the children?

We should make them work for free. So we don't have to pay taxes.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:49 PM

23 posts, read 32,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
No we shouldn't fire them, won't someone think of the children?

We should make them work for free. So we don't have to pay taxes.
Yes. I want them to work for free. That's my position.

My point is to let the market determine what their salaries should be.

What do they call that?

Oh yeah - Capitalism.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:56 PM

213 posts, read 702,919 times
Why do you think firing them all would help?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:29 PM

313 posts, read 1,052,988 times
So you're suggesting that they all be fired randomly, but don't want this to become bashing? It sounds like bashing from the start.

I don't see how firing every last teacher would solve any problems. There would be people interested in taking the jobs- but you'd be creating a climate where many people were afraid to go into teaching as a profession for fear of being canned without cause the next time a recession rolls around. (And that is what this would be- I assume most LI teachers are satisfactorily rated). I teach in NYC and I feel that we will have this potential problem- the mayor does not want an experienced teaching staff in part because they cost more money so he and the chancellor are trying to get out as many vets as possible. A good solution for now, but leading to instability and a lack of quality down the line. IMO that would be a potential danger down the line.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:50 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,880 times
Well, they can fire them all, but first you would have to repeal the tenure law in NYS. The introduction of this bill would be akin to political suicide for the initiator, and we all know how politicians LOVE to be re-elected. Then you would have a district of inexperienced teachers. A district where the kids would have more "seniority", ie. years of experience in the district, than the teachers. BTW, ie. means 'that is'. The kids would rule the roost and I doubt if much quality teaching would get done. Las Vegas has schools staffed by inexperienced teachers and the results are dismal. I agree with TeaJay, it sounds like bashing from the start. The OP goes so far as to say he does not want to hear the usual defenses for this action. I am sorry that the price of teachers is high and that you must be burdened by taxes to pay for it. You get what you pay for. You can always blame the teachers and the unions, but to be more correct, blame the spineless politicians that were comfortably placed in the union's pocket. Good luck trying to change it all, but most BOE's realize that such a radical change would be a disaster.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:55 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,632 times
OP:
This is the dumbest thread ever!!!!!
Yes get rid of experience and hire random people to teach children. It speaks volumes of your respect for education. I guess quality means nothing.
You can complain about pay, raises, etc, but at least make sense.

Let's fire all of the doctors and let an inexperienced surgeon take over your procedure. I think you would have a problem with that.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:57 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,880 times
It doesn't make sense to me that approximately 50,000 people are so
easily able to bully around approximately 3 million

US Congress is about 500 that bully around 300 million

Last edited by Fastrudy; 05-13-2010 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,824 times
Why not just outsource all of our teaching jobs to China?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,824 times
Oh, and i'm repping you just because of the sheer stupidity of this thread. That's the kind of crazy talk that get's me in a repping mood!

(Count the prepositions in the above sentence)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island