Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,704 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We will be moving to Locust Grove, Syosset in January and need some help with preschools. We have a 3yr old son who is in preschool, a 1 yr old daughter and another one due soon. Our 3yr old son just started school this September and it breaks our heart to relocate at this time just when he has warmed up to his teacher and developed friends.

So, we would like to find another preschool for him. Although he will have to start over, it is still better than staying at home. Plus, he loves going to school and enjoy playing and participating in all the school activities. Please advise if there are any good preschools around Locust Grove.

Other information:
1. By January 2012, our son will be 3 1/2 years old
2. Currently, he is in private preschool from 8:30 to 2:15 on a daily basis, so we would like to keep the same time schedule if not longer.
3. Would be ideal if there is transportation to the school, but not a deal breaker

Thanks for your help in advance! If I left out any information, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Nuriko

Last edited by Nuriko; 11-08-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 09:42 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
I don't know of any in Locust Grove, but there's a bunch in nearby Plainview and Hicksville. Miss Sue's, Carousel Day School, the Plainview Y has one, Just Wee Too, Plainview Cooperative. One of the schools in Plainview got in serious trouble a few years, but I can't remember which one.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:46 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Concomitant with the 1990 Census, the Hamlet of Locust Grove, the part of the Hamlet of Syosset south of the Jericho Turnpike, was made part of the Hamlet of Syosset.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:41 AM

292 posts, read 820,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I don't know of any in Locust Grove, but there's a bunch in nearby Plainview and Hicksville. Miss Sue's, Carousel Day School, the Plainview Y has one, Just Wee Too, Plainview Cooperative. One of the schools in Plainview got in serious trouble a few years, but I can't remember which one.
It was Carousel - kid choked to death on a carrot a teacher had left out. There were other violations discovered at that time.

Not sure where Locust Grove is but there is a YMCA in HUntington you might consider.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:16 AM

1,110 posts, read 672,609 times
Tutor Time in Syosset, should be convenient for you. Variety of timeframe/ rates available. Max 7AM - 7PM. We've been fortunate that many of our kids caretakers have been either acquiring practical experience for a career in education or returning or transitioning from a career in education to child care (so it's more valuable from an educational angle than glorified babysitting).

All in all, more than adequate for our needs but I am getting the feeling they are taking on a higher percentage (either via pressure or necessity) to accept state and federally subsidized students into the program. This paradigm would have to accelerate significantly for me to consider moving by business elsewhere (It's fairly well balanced right now).

There's is also Countrywood in Melville (which would be convenient if you worked (my assumption) East of Syosset, logistical issues if you work west of Syosset). Countrywood has a more developed curricullum than TT but their hours of operation make it an impractical choice for my family (8-4)

Old 11-09-2011, 06:23 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Tutor Time in Syosset, should be convenient for you. Variety of timeframe/ rates available. Max 7AM - 7PM. We've been fortunate that many of our kids caretakers have been either acquiring practical experience for a career in education or returning or transitioning from a career in education to child care (so it's more valuable from an educational angle than glorified babysitting).

All in all, more than adequate for our needs but I am getting the feeling they are taking on a higher percentage (either via pressure or necessity) to accept state and federally subsidized students into the program. This paradigm would have to accelerate significantly for me to consider moving by business elsewhere (It's fairly well balanced right now).

There's is also Countrywood in Melville (which would be convenient if you worked (my assumption) East of Syosset, logistical issues if you work west of Syosset). Countrywood has a more developed curricullum than TT but their hours of operation make it an impractical choice for my family (8-4)
I cannot speak for this particular TT school, but the problem with some of them is that turnover for the teachers and directors is pretty high. Many of the employees are rather inexperienced and work there for a while for the experience and then move on. If the center is registered with DSS, then there should not be "babysitting" during "school hours," as they are required to submit lesson plans and curriculum content to their inspectors (providing the inspectors are doing their job, which some DO not). There are still centers out there on Long Island where most of the staff has been there for 10-20 years and few new teachers are hired because most do not leave (when they are treated fairly well). I think that all of these places pay their staff low wages, but some treat their employees better than others.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,704 times
Thanks for all the recommendations. We are definitely not looking for a glorified babysitter, but would like a school with a curriculum. I know he's only 3 years old but I rather he learned and engage in activities than to waste his time and hopefully get a head start.

I work in NYC and my wife is a full time mom, so we are not restricted by the hours. Definitely don't need 7am-7pm, but something along the lines of 6-8 hours would be great.

We will definitely call and do more research on the ones that have been mentioned. Thank you all once again.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:26 AM

1,110 posts, read 672,609 times
Name correction: Not Countrywood (it's Crestwood) If hours are not an issue, they seem to have the most thorough curriculum.

There is also West Hills Montessori and Huntington Montessori school (West Hills would be closer/ Huntington M is adjacent to the S. Huntington public library).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island