Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:11 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,872 times

Advertisements

The thing is whyu does he get to be off topic and everybody else cannot be.

I work on main street in huntington and everybody here calls it huntington village. Who cares if its not a real village. When yo usay huntington village everybody knows where you are talking about. If I say main street in huntington not a lot of people will know where that is.

EVEN the town of huntington calls it huntington village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
EVEN the town of huntington calls it huntington village.
But, the official keeper of the official maps of Suffolk County -- the Suffolk County Planning Department -- does not.

The New York State Constitution requires the New York State Secretary of State to maintain official maps of New York State, and the Secretary of State, in turn, requires each county, as the representative of the State, to maintain the official maps of that county; and, Suffolk County assigns this responsibility to the Suffolk County Planning Department.

(In Nassau County, the Town of Hempstead refers to the southern part of South Valley Stream as North Woodmere. Pending any change in the official maps as maintained by the Nassau County Planning Commission, there ain't no North Woodmere.)

Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 PM

33 posts, read 78,640 times
This is a ridiculous topic. Huntington Village has been called Huntington Village for over TWO HUNDRED years*. Thats longer than there have been zip codes, "hamlets", CDPs or any other modern designation. I'm willing to wager it will be referred to as such long after these official terms have passed from official favor.

Place names come from the minds and usage of people - not just from whats written in documents. A few strokes of a pen from some bureaucrat in Albany or Riverhead does not change the name of a place. If centuries of common usage don't mean something, than what does?

*I was able to easily find references to it called such in a few seconds (Gazetteer of New-York, page 212, c1813). I'm sure with some searches in the actual town archives in the library, I could find references back to the 18th century as well. Perhaps even the 17th century.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:46 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
The issue would disappear if "Huntington Village" actually incorporated and formed a village (a municipal corporation).

Does anyone know if this has ever been discussed by those living in "Huntington Village"?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:54 PM

325 posts, read 737,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The issue would disappear if "Huntington Village" actually incorporated and formed a village (a municipal corporation).

Does anyone know if this has ever been discussed by those living in "Huntington Village"?
No, but there has been a movement to rename it "The Local Downtown Business District in the Hamlet of Huntington in The Town of Huntington."

JK! Actually, no. Only you and handful of other posters on CD (mainly people who aren't from the area) seem to think it's an "issue." Yes, this is a ridiculous topic.

Last edited by h-tonian; 01-03-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 01-03-2011, 06:03 PM

325 posts, read 737,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llaurenn View Post
Honestly I call it Huntington Village, and I'm aware that it's a hamlet. And I think people should call it Huntington Village, because why not. I just don't know why people are all of a sudden up in arms about Walter, who does the same thing in every post. He's not trying to be an a**hole. And the argument between h-ton and Walter and others just got to a ridiculous point, because no one is implying that we aren't smart enough to know where we live or smart enough to figure out what hamlet vs. what zip code we're in, but like h-ton mentioned, both are legitimate, and both are confusing at times.
I'm afraid I don't agree with this. If you'd like, DM me and I'll point you towards multiple threads where certain posters do exactly this. If you spend a couple minutes hunting, I'm sure you can find them yourself. Certain posters can be very condescending about their incomplete and erroneous information.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:04 PM

33 posts, read 78,640 times
Not that I'm aware of... and I can't imagine why anyone in The Village would want to do so - its the heart of a town that basically has been run on its behalf for centuries.

To incorporate would reduce its influence, not increase it. Not to mention be a bit absurd. It would be like Rome seeking independence from itself at the height of the Roman Republic.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llaurenn View Post
Besides mailing and mapping purposes and things like that, I just think CDP does "trump" zipcode when you're actually talking about where you live on a more casual level. I guess Dix Hills 11746 is technically correct too (thanks Walter!) but the Elwood thing is still a good example of what I mean.
I wasn't trying to belittle the area, there are a lot of nice parts of South Huntington. A lot of Football players live in Dix Hills, I work on they're cars sometimes. I don't know the area well but I know where it is.
I wouldn't belittle anyone's area without knowing the area well.
I was merely making an observation. I believe that the quality of an area is not based on reputation alone. It is directly related to the people that make up the community.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
The word "village" is used in New England Towns to describe unincorporated communities, sort of the way we say "hamlet". The difference is that a New England village is often a business district and often the oldest or most central part of the Town.

This is exactly what Huntington Village is. It is the orginial or the oldest part of Huntington Town, the so called Town Spot or Village Green. In fact, Huntington was orginially settled by colonists from New England.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:57 PM

177 posts, read 471,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
I've had people tell me they're from Huntington when in fact they're really from East Northport, or Melville, or Elwood, or Huntington Station, etc. You get the picture. Granted, those areas are in the Township of Huntington, but aren't near Huntington, 25A/Main Street area. Everyone wants you to think they're from the Huntington "village" area.
As long as you pay your taxes to the Town of Huntington, you can say you are from there. Besides more people know where Huntington is than East Northport. It's easier and central, most people know where it is.

Most of my conversations go like this:

Where are you from?
Long Island
Oh, my friend if from Long Island.
Really? What town?
I don't know, Long Island.

Whatever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island