Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:51 AM

176 posts, read 730,274 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I noticed that Elmont has reasonable homes and the taxes are not as crazy as other parts of Nassau county.

Also does anyone know any where that is close to Long Island and Queens with houses price range of 400k or less? I work in Roslyn heights and husband works in Queens we really dont want to move to Long Island but need a suburbs that is affordable with decent size back yard. We have kids so the closer the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 12:03 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,535 times
sent you a PM

Old 11-30-2010, 01:17 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
Hi all,

I noticed that Elmont has reasonable homes and the taxes are not as crazy as other parts of Nassau county.

Also does anyone know any where that is close to Long Island and Queens with houses price range of 400k or less? I work in Roslyn heights and husband works in Queens we really dont want to move to Long Island but need a suburbs that is affordable with decent size back yard. We have kids so the closer the better.
80% of Elmont (entire middle + west side) is now basically an extension of Jamaica and does not even look like Nassau anymore. Illegals are taking over, crime is through the roof, the schools have plummeted into the bottom 10 list (comparable to hempstead, roosevelt), Airplanes fly real low over most of elmont (Johninwestbury would snap if he lived there) as it's directly in the path of JFK's main runway. I would say the only habitable area left is off Covert ave by stewart manor/floral park.

Here's another post that could be of some value to you:
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ne-elmont.html

------------

Old 11-30-2010, 01:23 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,535 times
franklin square would be better, and you can find a home between 375-425

Old 11-30-2010, 01:29 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
80% of Elmont (entire middle + west side) is now basically an extension of Jamaica and does not even look like Nassau anymore. Illegals are taking over, crime is through the roof, the schools have plummeted into the bottom 10 list (comparable to hempstead, roosevelt), Airplanes fly real low over most of elmont (Johninwestbury would snap if he lived there) as it's directly in the path of JFK's main runway. I would say the only habitable area left is off Covert ave by stewart manor/floral park.

Here's another post that could be of some value to you:
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ne-elmont.html

------------
I hear a lot of people saying that Elmont performs poorly academically but they have a very excellent graduation rate, well above than average;
Reference: Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com

Old 11-30-2010, 01:54 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I hear a lot of people saying that Elmont performs poorly academically but they have a very excellent graduation rate, well above than average;
Graduation rates mean zilch if half end up working and the other half in community college. More importantly the kids can't read when they enter the real world. The numbers will get dramatically worse as the illegals that immigrated there over the last 2-10 years start sending their kids to Sewanhaka & Elmont Memorial.

Elmont memorial jr/sr and Sewanhaka are both in the bottom 20...
> Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com

Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,847 times
Huntington isn't far. Greenlawn is out of our price range right now but there about 10 houses in $350-$400K range and Harborfields and Elwood are good school districts.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:47 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,847 times
Also, Elke knows where to steer you in the Huntington area. It's big and diverse, so drive it to check out for yourself

Old 11-30-2010, 04:22 PM

62 posts, read 251,795 times
Default What do you think about the Elmont area in LI?

I am thinking of moving to Elmont LI. Its close to 'L' street and Mecham Ave. Is there any bad or good areas in Elmont? how about the schools, people, shopping, taxes, crime and overall quality in life? If you have any ideas, please share. Thank you.

Last edited by geethal; 11-30-2010 at 04:49 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 06:03 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,347 times
Elmont is fine. I live here. Never had any issues here and ive been living here for over 6 years.

I love the proximity to the highways.

You wont have any problems here contrary to what people are saying who does not live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island