Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:11 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Honestly $440 is a steal if you use it like we do..

Crooks
I agree. We used our library a ton. I have no idea what we paid in tax in Garden City, but I used to make a donation to them as well. We practically lived at the library. I hate waiting for new releases too, but libraries are all in the same boat and they share their books nowadays.

Take advantage of the programs they have to offer, for adults and kids, and you'll feel better about paying the tax. And most librarians are really very helpful. It's a lot cheaper to take books out of the library than to buy them, even with a late fine. TO me it's a lot better deal than paying $25 for a book and then having it lay around your house looking lonely, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 07:24 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I have no idea what we paid in tax in Garden City ...
The Garden City Public Library is a municipal (village) library, and I'm guessing that its cost would then be included in the village property tax.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:34 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Silly me, while checking out my school taxes, just noticed they slide the library tax in underneath. $440/yr!
Hmmm, your post made me check my new library tax - and it's $601.49 (And that's after my recent successful grievance, courtesy Property Tax Adjusters.)

Wanna switch?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:38 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
$430 here but it's got great resources... will be using it a lot with the kids growing up. I'm sure they put a lot of money into renovating it too over the last 10 years - it's come a long way from what I remember it when I was in HS here.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:39 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,872 times
Default hmm

I guess it all depends on the library. I work in a library. IF the library I worked in closed there would be an UPROAR. Heck we tried to move to get a bigger building central to our two branches and clsoe them down and to add parking and the whole town threw a fit. Imagine if the library closed.

The library is the one place that can save you money. You can rent blu-rays, take out books, bring your laptop in to use the free wifi or use the public machines. Watch international movies, bring your kids in for programs.

Imagine cancelling your internet bills, and netflix and using your libraries resources that could save you $100 a year. What other parts of your taxes can you say does that ?

Also YOU VOTE on your library budget unlike other portions of your tax bill. You cannot complain if you did not vote on the budget.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Also YOU VOTE on your library budget unlike other portions of your tax bill. You cannot complain if you did not vote on the budget.
Only true for those who live in a school district-library district; not true if you live in an association, municipal (city, town or village) or special district library district.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:59 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,750 times
Is Jericho a school-district-library-district. So that would mean the school district owns the library buildings?

Old 12-17-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Is Jericho a school-district-library-district.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
So that would mean the school district owns the library buildings?
Yes.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:40 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
I don't agree with this train of thought. Not to get too philosophical, but this is one major problem with "democracy" ie-if youre part of the under 50% vote, you're SOL. That poses a major problem if 51% take advantage of the other 49% imho.

Why can't he complain? Let's say hypothetically that a county had a vote: THE PROPOSAL: That every county resident kick in $4,000 bucks to build a giant 400 ft indoor ski mountain resort. And it passes 51% voting yes.

Now what if 49% of the county has no interest in skiing yet the other elite 51% of the county loves the idea and has the cash to burn on this project. What do you say to the 49% that voted "No" to the ludicrous ski mountain?? Would you say, "YOU VOTED on your indoor ski mountain, so you cannot complain that it passed??"

That makes no sense if you really think about it. I can't stand when people do this. It applies to all levels of voting, all the way up to the presidency..how many comments did we all see around the web from foreigners "YOU STUPID AMERICANS VOTED IN BUSH". Same thing applies to all voting.

Last edited by Pequaman; 12-17-2010 at 12:48 PM..

Old 12-17-2010, 01:33 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I don't agree with this train of thought. Not to get too philosophical, but this is one major problem with "democracy" ie-if youre part of the under 50% vote, you're SOL. That poses a major problem if 51% take advantage of the other 49% imho.

Why can't he complain? Let's say hypothetically that a county had a vote: THE PROPOSAL: That every county resident kick in $4,000 bucks to build a giant 400 ft indoor ski mountain resort. And it passes 51% voting yes.

Now what if 49% of the county has no interest in skiing yet the other elite 51% of the county loves the idea and has the cash to burn on this project. What do you say to the 49% that voted "No" to the ludicrous ski mountain?? Would you say, "YOU VOTED on your indoor ski mountain, so you cannot complain that it passed??"

That makes no sense if you really think about it. I can't stand when people do this. It applies to all levels of voting, all the way up to the presidency..how many comments did we all see around the web from foreigners "YOU STUPID AMERICANS VOTED IN BUSH". Same thing applies to all voting.
I get the frustration (and I'm the OP who started this rant), but I don't know of a better alternative than 51% wins. The 1% dictatorship decides? That's certainly not better. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If the 49% are really indicative of the voice of the people then they need to become the 51%. They can grumble and vent. I do that when I lose. I don't think it's unfair....unless of course the supreme court allows unseen gazillionaires to directly manipulate elections...but that can't happen, can it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island