Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:20 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times

Advertisements

I still think its pretty fantastic to have SUSB here.

Crooks

Stony Brook named among ‘top value’ public universities | North Shore Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 10:33 AM

939 posts, read 2,312,343 times
go patriots

Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
It's too bad the school doesn't have the same sort of campus life that most Universities do. Of course it would have it's drawbacks with more frat parties going on, but you visit the surrounding area and there's no sense that you have 14,000+ college kids in the area, because half of the place drives home after classes, and half of the other half goes home on weekends.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:03 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
You and me, both!

It has been great to take courses, take advantage of cultural offerings, lecture series, sporting events and be able to walk to the school from my home. Stony Brook has made significant improvements over the years academically and physically. (I must admit, however, to being saddened by the removal of the Bridge to Nowhere, but that's progress for you.)

I've been a student and I've worked with members of faculty and administration, too. Those with whom I have had the pleasure of working with have been consummate professionals whose desire it is to impart their knowledge on the students. There is some incredible, experienced talent on campus -- how many colleges have Dr. Richard Leakey on Staff?

Turkana Basin Institute - About Stony Brook University (http://turkanabasin.org/about-stony-brook-university - broken link)

Tuition is a bargain, almost a fire sale compared to some other state colleges. In state tuition is listed on the website as just under $5K a year, but with fees and such it works out to a shade over $8K -- provided the health insurance waver is signed. (My oldest is a student there this year.) Students (in state) attending UNH are paying just a shade over $13.5K (no health ins) and in state students at UVM are paying $14K.

Having SBU in my backyard has made for some interesting moments, but has led to some great experiences and awesome friendships. Yeah, I'm a townie now.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's too bad the school doesn't have the same sort of campus life that most Universities do. Of course it would have it's drawbacks with more frat parties going on, but you visit the surrounding area and there's no sense that you have 14,000+ college kids in the area, because half of the place drives home after classes, and half of the other half goes home on weekends.
They have made some progress on that. Weekends are livelier than they were when I was first on campus. As for frat parties -- they do exist; just no fraternity row to speak of as the clubs and such are peppered throughout town. There has been new dorm construction on campus and an increase in the number of students applying from out-of-state or from too far away in state to head out on weekends.

I might dare say that there is far more school spirit. I miss cheering on the Patriots, but don't mind calling myself a Seawolf and wearing red on Fridays.

There has been effort within the community, too, to break down the proverbial wall which surrounds the campus and have more campus/community interaction. The local chamber of commerce in addition to the campus heads have been collaborating on community events as well as campus sporting events. Rome wasn't built in a day, but there are small signs that the collaborative effort is beginning to bear fruit.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times
[quote=ENFD240;17253925]go patriots[/QUOT

Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,147,015 times
My kids go there & I just don't understand with all those facilities why they can't take one "gym" class.

Am I missing something?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
They have made some progress on that. Weekends are livelier than they were when I was first on campus. As for frat parties -- they do exist; just no fraternity row to speak of as the clubs and such are peppered throughout town. There has been new dorm construction on campus and an increase in the number of students applying from out-of-state or from too far away in state to head out on weekends.

I might dare say that there is far more school spirit. I miss cheering on the Patriots, but don't mind calling myself a Seawolf and wearing red on Fridays.

There has been effort within the community, too, to break down the proverbial wall which surrounds the campus and have more campus/community interaction. The local chamber of commerce in addition to the campus heads have been collaborating on community events as well as campus sporting events. Rome wasn't built in a day, but there are small signs that the collaborative effort is beginning to bear fruit.

I get the feeling things have improved substantially from the time I graduated in the mid 90's to when I was taking a few business classes there recently. The campus looks better, people SEEM happier...of course while I was there it was during the "It's cool to be depressed" grunge 90's.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
My kids go there & I just don't understand with all those facilities why they can't take one "gym" class.

Am I missing something?

Are you referring to taking a physical ed class for credit, or fitness schedules/open gym times? It once was that you had to have 2? (early 80's) credits of gym in addition to core and DEC to graduate. As I had already competed it back when, it never came up as a returning adult student in the mid/late 90's.

Looking over the current tuition bill on SOLAR, we are paying an athletic fee -- perhaps instead of charging a credit for a gym class, PE has been made optional,but everyone's paying for optional use and to help subsidize facilities improvements?

Your kids are probably familiar with the student affairs website, but in the event you aren't I included this for you. I hope it is of some help.

Stony Brook University - Campus Recreation

Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I get the feeling things have improved substantially from the time I graduated in the mid 90's to when I was taking a few business classes there recently. The campus looks better, people SEEM happier...of course while I was there it was during the "It's cool to be depressed" grunge 90's.
They have and they are.

I don't remember this in the 90's -- perhaps you might recall -- was the university broken down into smaller schools? My son is in the College of Science and Society, for example. Students with similar likes and interests are placed in colleges such as Science and Society. My outside observation is that grouping the students in this fashion appears to foster a greater sense of community amongst them. Dorms are also assigned that way -- SSO students are housed in Roth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island