Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 13,405 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain why the LIRR things it can get away without refunding monthly passengers for a trip where a customer forgot his/her pass? I have the LIRR refusing to to send me the next months pass because I forgot my monthly pass one day, and did not have cash (heavens be they don't take a debit card). If they won't send me my next pass, they certainly know I paid them for that trip. Just because they make up a policy, it doesn't make it right or legal.

LarryRUP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 03:25 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRup View Post
Can someone explain why the LIRR things it can get away without refunding monthly passengers for a trip where a customer forgot his/her pass? I have the LIRR refusing to to send me the next months pass because I forgot my monthly pass one day, and did not have cash (heavens be they don't take a debit card). If they won't send me my next pass, they certainly know I paid them for that trip. Just because they make up a policy, it doesn't make it right or legal.

LarryRUP
I'm not taking sides here
It's about a "contract", which makes it legal.
When you request your mail-n-ride ticket(s), you consent to their rules and regs - it's voluntary! You're doing it because of the convenience and possibly because of the small savings. Occasionally you may find a conductor who has seen you regularly and will let it pass, but rarely both ways.
If you don't pay, they won't provide the means to provide service

During the many years I commuted, occasionally I'd forget my ticket, so I understand your frustration and feeling of being treated "unfairly"; however, for all they know, you lent your ticket to someone else (I know people who do that) and they don't collect the fare they're entitled to.
It stinks - but there are too many deadbeats out there... Your problem came down to not having cash on you; otherwise you could have requested a refund after providing appropriate information.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 PM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRup View Post

LarryRUP
Pay the ticket you owe money for and move on. All of us forget once in a while. Some of use to keep oneway tickets in our wallets for such occassions. This is useless now since the tickets are only good for 14 days.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 AM

398 posts, read 837,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Pay the ticket you owe money for and move on. All of us forget once in a while. Some of use to keep oneway tickets in our wallets for such occassions. This is useless now since the tickets are only good for 14 days.
I normally would keep an extra $1.50 ticket in my wallet just in case I was in a rush and couldn't make it to the machine at the train station, I would simply pay the difference for the destination I was heading when on the train and avoid the surcharge. Also I've noticed when traveling the LIRR on weekends often the conductor would not come around to collect and I would have a few tickets in my wallet. I assume the 14 day rule is new, and a result of the LIRR not being properly staffed to collect tickets? I've often benefited with a few free rides because of this, so I understand why they would enact the 14 day ticket expiration.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 AM

92 posts, read 432,835 times
The LIRR had this policy, but a few years back when they merged their operations with Metro North (who did not have this policy) the LIRR removed the reimbursement for a ticket purchased in the event it was forgotten.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
You can always go hide in the bathrooms until the conductor is gone

Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
You can always go hide in the bathrooms until the conductor is gone
LOL I've seen conductors check bathrooms

Old 02-17-2011, 07:36 AM

159 posts, read 408,314 times
It's a shame they discontinued the forgotten monthly policy. It's not about service, it's about $$. The price is hefty. You buy a monthly in zone 7 for $254 and you forgot your ticket it costs you $36 peak round trip.

The old policy was good. It was good one time only per month. You buy your ticket on the train then you can get a refund for the full amount when you present your monthly to to window at Penn anytime within that month. They stamp it. The only time this didn't apply was on the first work day of each month.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:11 AM

78 posts, read 203,081 times
Man, I dealt with this on February 1st. What kind of training do the conductors go through? Are they water boarded in a effort to be sure they will provide no breaks to anyone, ever? The conductor that has been checking my ticket for the last 8 years charged me $16 dollars for a one way ticket b/c I forgot my February monthly (this was on the way home, I was zoned out in the morning and didn't hear the friendly reminder that today is new ticket day).

Is there an internal affairs team within the MTA that rides the train looking for conductors that violate their code of conduct? I'm asking seriously, as I don't understand why they won't cut breaks to folks they have years of history with. I guess I'd be a crummy conductor as I couldn't see myself charging a guy who has been showing me a monthly every week for the last 8 years.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
So what happens if you stop paying for the monthly and say "well, I forgot it... you know I'm good for it" ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island