Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 AM

157 posts, read 153,644 times

Advertisements

Its obvious this thread is full of jealous cop haters even though they ridicule that point. The name of the thread is LI Salaries and Pensions and the only discussion is cops. We have NCC, jail etc There are alos village PD suffol I hear nothing about. But this is where these cop haters remain. THat is why there is no use for dialogue with them and just let them know they can blow it out their butt from today to tomorrow but salaries are'nt goin down. What will happen to contract after 2015 is another story, but I'll be in my snow bird home by then with my nice cushy fed job. They'll still prob be here complaining

Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
Its obvious this thread is full of jealous cop haters even though they ridicule that point. The name of the thread is LI Salaries and Pensions and the only discussion is cops. We have NCC, jail etc There are alos village PD suffol I hear nothing about. But this is where these cop haters remain. THat is why there is no use for dialogue with them and just let them know they can blow it out their butt from today to tomorrow but salaries are'nt goin down. What will happen to contract after 2015 is another story, but I'll be in my snow bird home by then with my nice cushy fed job. They'll still prob be here complaining

It's Groundhog Day. Did you ever see the movie of the same name? Same thing over and over and over again. The only difference is that in the movie eventually the guy figures out what's going on and takes action to improve the situation.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:48 AM

294 posts, read 610,373 times
I think cops and teachers garner the most attention because they meet three general criteria:

1) they're highly visible
2) the amount of people holding these jobs is substantial (to one degree or another)
3) they pull down a high salary (relatively speaking).

Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Cry me a river, Cabbie. Y'all have done a great job of locking things up when I'm not even home.

Thing is, these people have been saying the same thing as long as I've been here and not one of them has so much as written a letter to Albany as far as I can tell. I've asked. Their responses are non-existent.

By all appearances, this thread serves as a designated sandbox in which a handful of disgruntled taxpayers complain and make up dream scenarios and pie-in-the-sky suggestions that will never leave the message board. Seems to me it's here as a corral to keep the same few unhappy people who have been complaining and fighting and trawling for arguments for a few years all in one place where they can be watched easily as they go round and round in great big circles, talking to themselves, achieving nothing but a little bit of catharsis.

Lucky for you, tomorrow is February 3rd.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:19 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Cry me a river, Cabbie. Y'all have done a great job of locking things up when I'm not even home.

Thing is, these people have been saying the same thing as long as I've been here and not one of them has so much as written a letter to Albany as far as I can tell. I've asked. Their responses are non-existent.

By all appearances, this thread serves as a designated sandbox in which a handful of disgruntled taxpayers complain and make up dream scenarios and pie-in-the-sky suggestions that will never leave the message board. Seems to me it's here as a corral to keep the same few unhappy people who have been complaining and fighting and trawling for arguments for a few years all in one place where they can be watched easily as they go round and round in great big circles, talking to themselves, achieving nothing but a little bit of catharsis.

Lucky for you, tomorrow is February 3rd.
And yet again, you have absolutely no way of knowing that..not for one fraction of one second. It's what you WANT to believe, some how you have yourself convinced it's true, but again, absolutely not one shred of evidence.

This thread also seems, by all appearances, to be a sandbox for cops to thumb their noses at people who pay high taxes to give them a sweet deal. Why some non-cops are so happy to see that angry tax payers have no recourse against absurd contracts is difficult to figure out...they must feel like they are on somebodies "team" to be so motivated by this subject to keep coming back. I wonder why.....

Old 02-02-2011, 11:45 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,644 times
I'll tell you how far this thread has gotten out of control

I was watching a live stream from Egypt earlier from Tahrir Square and some of the protester were carrying signs. I did the best to write down what was written on them. Also I took the liberty to translate them ( it took hours) Loosely they said " we fight because L.I. civil servants make way too much money" One also said I believe " The NYS pension system causes world chaos" or something close to that. I hope it ends soon......sad to see

This is getting out of control

Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 AM

929 posts, read 2,069,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
That's some of the most convoluted and bizarre reasoning I've ever heard. Police officers don't report crime, citizens/victims do. Police investigate and compile information/statistics about crime that has already occurred, when reported by crime victims.

And since you're so big on source material, please tell us all where we can find definitive information on correlation between crime rates and political campaigns.

Finally, try looking at crime rates in jurisdictions where police salaries are low, like New Orleans. High correlation in those places between low salaries and high crime rates. And police corruption.
I'm going to point you towards a resource that you should read that is used in many social science courses, especially criminology and social economic courses, Understanding Social Problems written by Linda A. Mooney, David Knox, and Caroline Schacht.

The book talks about crime data reported by the police departments, which is then compiled by the FBI for statistical analysis. In the book, and I'm paraphrasing, they break down crime reporting into two components. One, being a crime happening and the other a crime being reported, which takes a police officer to actually take down the crime and enter it into their system.

The research goes on to talk about how different distortions exist around certain occurrences, an example used was sheriff re-election. Where the political pressure to keep crime "down" causes a change in the behavior of the police officers reporting the crimes to report less crimes or marginal offenses, while the number of actual violations stayed steady within the time specified. So, as you can see, crimes have to be written down by a police officer in order to be filed as a crime, so they can be manipulated.

It's naive to think that police can't manipulate crime numbers by over reporting or under reporting crime activity. How many times have you, or another cop, been pulled over, waved your badge and driven off. That's a great example of a police officer manipulating crime data.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
I'm going to point you towards a resource that you should read that is used in many social science courses, especially criminology and social economic courses, Understanding Social Problems written by Linda A. Mooney, David Knox, and Caroline Schacht.

The book talks about crime data reported by the police departments, which is then compiled by the FBI for statistical analysis. In the book, and I'm paraphrasing, they break down crime reporting into two components. One, being a crime happening and the other a crime being reported, which takes a police officer to actually take down the crime and enter it into their system.

The research goes on to talk about how different distortions exist around certain occurrences, an example used was sheriff re-election. Where the political pressure to keep crime "down" causes a change in the behavior of the police officers reporting the crimes to report less crimes or marginal offenses, while the number of actual violations stayed steady within the time specified. So, as you can see, crimes have to be written down by a police officer in order to be filed as a crime, so they can be manipulated.

It's naive to think that police can't manipulate crime numbers by over reporting or under reporting crime activity. How many times have you, or another cop, been pulled over, waved your badge and driven off. That's a great example of a police officer manipulating crime data.
The biggest complaint I've heard from the cops I know (mostly NYPD) is exactly about this subject..that all the numbers are "political", that they are asked to manipulate what the book to make crimes look like something else.

There was recently a cop who went undercover the Village Voice, and has brass on tape telling cops at roll call what kind of citations that wanted to see on that day and all other kinds of stuff, which goes against the nonsense you've heard for years that there are no quotas..there are quotas.

There is also evidence that robbery's are being knocked down to petty thefts, rapes to harassment, etc, some stuff that is pretty damning. Of course the motivation to do that comes from the top, not from individual cops. The city has to keep it's image as "safe".

Which of course begs the question..how do we know that every police agency is doing the same thing?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I'll tell you how far this thread has gotten out of control

I was watching a live stream from Egypt earlier from Tahrir Square and some of the protester were carrying signs. I did the best to write down what was written on them. Also I took the liberty to translate them ( it took hours) Loosely they said " we fight because L.I. civil servants make way too much money" One also said I believe " The NYS pension system causes world chaos" or something close to that. I hope it ends soon......sad to see

This is getting out of control
This is called a "red herring".

Red herring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"It's not important because there are riots in Egypt"

Sorry bub, it is important.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post

No disrespect Tom but the more you post about police related topics the more foolish you sound. Any officer could read what you posted and have a field day with it. With that I'll just point out a few things to you : I could point out 100's of examples why you are wrong but I'll stick with just a few basics.

First when a civilian wants to report a "crime" sometimes isn't actually a crime under the NYS penal law. It happens 100 x's of times a day I'll give you an example so you can understand better. I use to answer 911 calls and the complainant would be irate and say " I was just assaulted by that guy and I want him arrested " The real story he had an argument with someone and that someone either slapped or punched him which doesn't necessarily raise it to a crime( fel. misd. assault) . More often than not it would fall under a harassment(violation) ( depending on the severity of an injury if there is even one) and would have to be done in the officer's presence for him to take any action. Another classic example is civil matters that people think are "crimes" and if you have the time to explain it to them they don't want to hear it. Bottom line there are so many variables that people don't understand. The law is very complicated even for professionals.

Your second part about showing your badge I don't know many officers that would wave their badges if they just committed a crime. Maybe a traffic violation( stop sign, red light) or a parking condition. These aren't crimes and should no way effected "crime stats" I could go on forever......

The problem is civilians think they know the law..........but it's the officer's job to know them

I'll paraphrase PDCNRET...Sometimes you have to walk in an officer's shoes to really get a grasp of what's really goes on....somethings you just can't Google

Last edited by BigMike50; 02-02-2011 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island