Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 PM

6 posts, read 8,666 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to LI in 2 months or so for my job and I need to find a place to live. My new territory for work consists of all of LI and the Queens area. I know about the traffic situation, not a issue for me. I am in my late 30's and want to find a place that is nice, safe, has some good places to go out for dinner/drinks. I think I am going to buy something and had heard about Mineola from a friend, but not sure? I will probably stay under $400,000 since it is just myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 02:31 PM

311 posts, read 1,021,784 times
Mineola is ok. In Nassau, I would also look into Roosevelt and Hempstead.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:53 PM

Thank you for your imput but I will probably stay away from Hempstead due the crime and drug rates for that town. I am looking for something a little nicer and more safe.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:33 PM

22,726 posts, read 36,937,776 times
Are you looking for a house? Are you going to be wanting to go into the city on weekends or are you planning on staying local?

You might think in terms of monthly budget, not sure if you've seen the property taxes on LI....also, they go up every year which is a little different from some other places....not sure where you're moving from.

Mineola is fine....easy access to most places, safe, centrally located....not a ton of nightlife but not a complete wasteland either.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:42 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,121,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
Mineola is ok. In Nassau, I would also look into Roosevelt and Hempstead.
Not funny. Give the poster some real and serious advice.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:43 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,121,964 times
Do you want to buy a condo or coop?

Old 01-15-2011, 03:44 PM

I am open to either a house or a condo. I have an idea on a monthly budget but I have to wait and see exactly the figure because my company is giving me a cost of living adjustment for the mortgage. I am thinking around $1800.00 to $2000 a month.

I am moving to LI from RI so prices there are high too, although not as high as LI.

I will probably stay local for a bit and get used to my new surroundings and will travel into the city once in a while. Something central is probably good for me because I will be covering all of LI and Queens for work.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Not funny. Give the poster some real and serious advice.

Thanks for your comment. I knew that person was not being truthfull because I had already looked at stats about crime and such.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:05 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,424,212 times
Huntington, in Western Suffolk, around $400K there are now decent buys in Greenlawn. Greenlawn is a nice family oriented community, safe, and Huntington has a good nightlife for the singles. Take NSP or LIE to Queens and easy access to other parts of LI. Also, decent trains to NYC when you want. JM2C

Old 01-15-2011, 04:15 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,211,692 times
Another question is, how much of a downpayment do you have? If you have less than 20%, you'll most likely have to pay PMI (Private Mortgage Insurance) or MIP (the equivalent for FHA loans), which cuts into your budgeted amount. Taxes can be anywhere from $8K to sometimes $12 (E. Northport can be less). Just saying .

Then of course you have utilities - heat and electric; water is generally a minor expense on Long Island.

Bottom line - if your budget is $2K/mo for payments, and taxes are at least $700/mo, $100/mo for homeowners insurance, you only have $1,200/mo left for principal and interest. If you have a FICO score of 740 or better, you'll get the top rate, but even so, assuming a 5% rate and $300K mortgage, your principal and interest would be $1530/mo
A very small house could be an alternative, because along with a lower price, your mortgage payment would be less.

Long Island is not cheap... Maybe you want to consider renting first for a year or so, and see where you'd like to live and where you can afford to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island