Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
Isn't the norovirus from contaminated food and not something that is airborn?

Two weeks ago I had a stomach flu with a high fever.... Now my daughter is sick with fever, congestion and sore throat, three days now. That's what happens this time of year.
I believe the norovirus does start like that but it is then spread by the person who was infected with it... According to what I read on the CDC's website, the person ingests the virus and then let's say their hands are not clean after a bowel movement, they touch a surface with their infected hand and you or I touch that same surface and stick our hands in our eyes, mouth or nose (not knowing that person was ill to begin with), then we've ingested the virus as well. This is how it is spread. It is only airborne if a person next to you vomits...you are hten able to breathe in the droplets..other than that, no, the virus is not airborne. This is the only time it would be airborne.

I hope your daughter feels better. My son who is 8 months old has had rotavirus, a cold, stomach virus and another cold within the past month. I can only hope that this will help his immunity build up so that once he is in school, he won't get sick as much.

Yes, this time of year brings all the good stuff! I can't stand the winter for so many reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I hope your daughter feels better. My son who is 8 months old has had rotavirus, a cold, stomach virus and another cold within the past month. I can only hope that this will help his immunity build up so that once he is in school, he won't get sick as much.

Yes, this time of year brings all the good stuff! I can't stand the winter for so many reasons.
Building immunity in children is so important. I had to homeschool my daughter for two years, during which she was never sick. The year she went back tompublic school, she got pneumonia and, two months later, influenza A, this happened while we were in Disney..not fun.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:09 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I had that same virus 2 years ago, not fun. My husband caught it from someone at work who was throwing up in the bathroom then sent home, next day he started vomitting like crazy. I am OCD about germs so I immediatley started cleaning wiht bleach and lysol. 2 days later I got it. we only have 1 bathroom so I had no choice but to clean it. needless to say I lost 7 lbs that week from not eating. Now I have a major cold that I got from my husband who got it from a co-worker. I can't taste or smell and feel like crap. My head feels like a drill is going through my skull. I am eating because I have to but I can't taste it. and on a side note he's also on a liquid diet because he had a diverticulitis attack and had to be taken by ambulance wednesday morning to the ER, 2nd time he's had this.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:15 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I had a few friends have to make the ride to school to pick up their sick children. I'm hoping we dodge it -- the youngest is no longer at Setauket. Crooks -- is your wife at Setauket or working for 3V now?
No shes not there but her friends are.

Good luck OBH.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:29 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
Building immunity in children is so important. I had to homeschool my daughter for two years, during which she was never sick. The year she went back tompublic school, she got pneumonia and, two months later, influenza A, this happened while we were in Disney..not fun.
Yep. Germophobia (anti-bacterial pillowcases, carpet pads, mattress liners, vacuum filters, etc.) is probably one of the worst things a parent can inflict on a child. Getting sick--colds, earaches, sore throats, etc.--is how kids build immunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island