Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 PM

510 posts, read 2,205,672 times

Advertisements

I know that since we added square footage and added a bathroom made the taxes go up but im saying if we increased the footing, by pushing forward or back our taxes would of gone up a lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I googled the number on the sign and it came up with Larsen Home Improvement based in Hicksville NY.
Larsen did a really nice house in my neighborhood a few months ago. It started as a small levitt cape and they made it into a huge colonial. Its on Glade Lane in Levittown. They did the job in 4 months flat. Thats pretty good. They also gutted the whole downstairs.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM

182 posts, read 406,401 times
Quote:
Make sure to do a before/after vid like this if you do it. Here is a good addition- This looks like Massapequa TBH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR2p9TJpr9A
A poor mans McMansion wannabe. The turret kills it.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:29 AM

I like the Turret - It sets it apart from all the other Dormers in the area.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:15 AM

182 posts, read 406,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
I like the Turret - It sets it apart from all the other Dormers in the area.
To each his own.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone View Post
yeah I'm mixed on the turret. I think that room has to be a beautiful room to be in with all those nice windows, high ceiling, view, probably gets drenched w. sun and it definitely sets the house apart like budsvtec mentioned. It does protrude a little too far out and left..I'd rather have it in the back of the house or not sticking out so much. It's tough above the garage, I've seen worse (this looks like a good job to me).

Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,121 times
You can easily pick apart a lot of the dormers out there for the little things.

I obsess over symmetry which wasn't done in certian aspects of this, I'm sure for good reasons inside the house.

the below comment is pretty harsh imho

Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone

Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
yeah I'm mixed on the turret. I think that room has to be a beautiful room to be in with all those nice windows, high ceiling, view, probably gets drenched w. sun and it definitely sets the house apart like budsvtec mentioned. It does protrude a little too far out and left..I'd rather have it in the back of the house or not sticking out so much. It's tough above the garage, I've seen worse (this looks like a good job to me).

Yes, it does stick out a little too far and has nothing which really ties it in to whatever style the homeowner was looking to achieve. Either the architect didn't care as long as the homeowner paid, or the the homeowner insisted on it despite the architect's advice.

There's no symmetry as has been pointed out -- if the turret had been left off, there would be balance. Also the variation in window sizes and styles creates an inconsistent look.

There are three key things, however:
1) The homeowner is happy with the finished product.
2) The contractor gave them quality work.
3) I thank God it is not across the street from me!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
You can easily pick apart a lot of the dormers out there for the little things.

I obsess over symmetry which wasn't done in certian aspects of this, I'm sure for good reasons inside the house.

the below comment is pretty harsh imho

Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone
Dormers could be picked apart for little things, however that turret is like the tail wagging the dog. If they had eliminated the garage and brought a porch around which would be situated under but extended past the turret, it might have tied it down to the house better.

http://www.crbizjournal.com/Assets/dept_1/PM/images/NEO-5.jpg (broken link)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2277/...e3589734_z.jpg

Regarding 4DID's assessment: Is it harsh or realistic? That house has a sundry list of things which the homeowner's probably liked on other houses in more affluent areas. Only thing was they weren't all on one house. Growing up North Pequan, I came to see so much of that around. People would see their wealthier family member's homes and try to replicate it on a budget.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That house has a sundry list of things which the homeowner's probably liked on other houses in more affluent areas. Only thing was they weren't all on one house. .
I agree with this - I would see it so often in Garden City, people would move in and put every architectural detail that was "in" on their new McMansion. No thought whatsoever to whether it all made sense. Like OBH, I"m glad I don't have to look at this every day. Just because you have the money to do a job doesn't mean you have the taste to go with it...people are paying good money to an architect they should take their advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island