Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 01:42 PM

5 posts, read 20,077 times

Advertisements

Hi, how would you compare these two towns. We have school-aged kids and work in the city, so commute and schools are both important to us. Also, not too snobby/elitist of an environment is a definite plus. Looking for homes in the 800K range. Which area do you think would be a better fit for us?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 02:20 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
First off, as a hamlet, Manhasset is governed on an at-large basis by the Town of North Hempstead while as a village, East Williston is a self-governing municipality. Other things being equal, prefer a village to a hamlet.

Second, the Hamlet of Manhasset is in the Manhasset Union Free School Dsitrict while the Village of East Williston is in the better regarded East Willistion Union Free School District.

A map of the Hamlet of Manhasset in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:

Manhasset is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of places with the community name in their mailing address are not in the community: places that have a "Manhasset, NY 11030" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Manhasset are in the Village of Plandome Manor, the Village of Plandome, the Village of Plandome Heights, the Village of Munsey Park, the Village of Flower Hill, the Village of North Hills and the Village of Thomaston.

A map of the Village of East Williston in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/East-williston-ny-map.gif (broken link)

East Williston is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the community name in their mailing address: places in the Village of East Williston have a "Williston Park, NY 11596" mailing address.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:38 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Both are lovely areas with beautiful homes. If forced to choose I would go with Manhasset simply because I prefer an area with a "downtown" and also because Manhasset is pretty much surrounded by nice areas.

DH and I looked in East Williston and quickly decided it was a no-go because of the lack of "downtown" (if I say "village" Walter will get me). I can't imagine paying that much for a house and having Hillside Avenue as my shopping destination. I don't think your money goes as far in Manhasset though - last year Manhasset was a holdout for being incredibly overpriced. We were selling our house in Garden CIty and got a few people from Manhasset who were priced out of that market. Not sure of the current status though.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:57 PM

166 posts, read 532,812 times
Can't beat the commute from Manhasset into Manhattan. Rock solid upper middle class enclave. $800k in Manhasset is generally considered one of the cheaper homes on the market. Most likely a fixer upper or a smaller home. Snobby? Maybe, but not compared to the upper east or west side of Manhattan. Redfin.com is showing 20 out of 153 homes listed for $800k or less in the 11030 zipcode which includes Manhasset, Munsey Park, parts of Flower Hill, the Plandomes, etc...

Dunno much about East Williston.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshlee View Post
... the 11030 zipcode which includes Manhasset, Munsey Park, parts of Flower Hill, the Plandomes, etc...
Don't forget parts of the Village of Thomaston and the Village of North Hills.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 PM

324 posts, read 335,123 times
Stay away from east Williston if you want to stay away from snobby/elitist attitudes. 7 year olds all have the newest and best iPhone, uggs, etc and if your kids don't have it too they will be looked down upon.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Your budget may be tight in the nice parts of both of these areas. What about Garden City?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:53 AM

82 posts, read 260,825 times
Having been through similar decisions this year - coming from the city, looking for an easy commute town with good schools - at the outset of our search, we considered Manhasset, Port W, GC and East Williston.

After 1 drive around, we discounted East Williston for the reasons stated above -- lack of a downtown. Though the homes look very nice.

We then later discounted Port W. Just too much of a mish-mash of a town, way up on that peninsula, good and not so great neighborhoods, kind of a wierd mixed housing stock.

So, it came down to Manhasset versus GC. As a long thread from a few years ago on this forum attests, each of these towns has its pros and cons (which I will not repeat here). We then discounted Manhasset - mainly due to price. If you're spending under a million bucks in Manhasset, you're really not getting much at all. If you're spending $800, you're getting even less. I would say that in that price range you'll have to deal with a good number of the following: no EIK, no den/family room, no powder room, no master bath, unrenovated, 3 brs max. If you spend in the $900s- 1 million, you will be able to avoid some - but not all - of these items.

You get much more house for the $$$ in GC where it looks like we will be heading to. For your price point, you should be able to find plenty there as the previous poster noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island