Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:42 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times

Advertisements

From what I've observed, kids who have talent can more easily shrug off bullying in school. They have something to lean on to that they know the bullies can't touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:42 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Did I say they were right in bullying you? Did you read anywhere that I support bullying.

I support people standing up for themselves and not running to a government authority to save them.

You probably still get snickered at..what are you going to do..complain that adults are talking about you behind your back?
As I mentioned I dont get ridiculed anymore because I deal with adults. And if somebody says something to me, I stand up for myself. I did when I was in high school too but the odds are kind of against you when its say, 5 vs. 1, as I mentioned before.

Oh and btw, going through what I went through, Im pretty sure that I am a much tougher and stronger person then you can ever hope to be.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:54 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
[quote=PatDJohns;18220723]As I mentioned I dont get ridiculed anymore because I deal with adults. And if somebody says something to me, I stand up for myself. I did when I was in high school too but the odds are kind of against you when its say, 5 vs. 1, as I mentioned before.

Oh and btw, going through what I went through, Im pretty sure that I am a much tougher and stronger person then you can ever hope to be.[/quote]

Considering I did not insult you, your cheap comments are showing just how sensitive you are.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 PM

[quote=Gpsma;18220927]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
As I mentioned I dont get ridiculed anymore because I deal with adults. And if somebody says something to me, I stand up for myself. I did when I was in high school too but the odds are kind of against you when its say, 5 vs. 1, as I mentioned before.

Oh and btw, going through what I went through, Im pretty sure that I am a much tougher and stronger person then you can ever hope to be.[/quote]

Considering I did not insult you, your cheap comments are showing just how sensitive you are.
You didnt insult me? Did you not imply that I still get "snickered at" because Im gay? Thats just a little insulting to me as well as dismissing what I went through by trying to pin it on me, as if its MY FAULT I was bullied because I came out as gay.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think that's the whole point. Assault is a crime. Harrassment is a crime. Stealing is a crime. What is bulling traditionally? Beating up weaker kids, harrassing them incessantly, and stealing their lunch money.

Bullying is simply another word for crimes committed by children. It's not too much to ask parents to ask their kids to not break the law.
You have a point there.

Sure, a lot of bullying is "nyah nyah nyah" teasing and stupid non-violent stuff. But sometimes bullying is a softer term for what actually is criminal behavior.

But when you look at the ACTIONS involved of some kids ... if adults were to post pics on the internet of, text, call, stalk, commit violence, etc., it would not be called "bullying." It would be aggravated harassment at the very least.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Do you think that once these kids grow up, mommy and daddy will be stepping in when their boss demands something from them? What about if someone comes up to them with bad intentions walking down the street? Should they call mommy and daddy and cower away and hide?

No. Both sides are wrong -- bullies aren't going to just go away, whether it's on the school playground or in college or in a workplace, nor should kids just run away and expect someone else to solve their problems.
At work you can go to your boss or human resources if you have a problem and it is mediated or handled. At your own personal level you have police and lawyers. A child only has the adults in their life they can turn to which is their parents and school officials.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Actually, I am. But don't worry, I wont bully you.
Then why do you bully ME all the time???

Old 03-10-2011, 01:04 PM

106 posts, read 263,345 times
I think the bullying comes from the parenting, maybe we should push more love, family/togetherness on kids while in school, i remember in elementary i saw kids getting bullied, and in middle school and highschool (note: i went to predominately black schools so you already know the bullying is high) i also noticed when you had teachers that barely kept there eye on students it gave the bully's more time to do there bullying and take advantage of others (this is where we need stricter and more observing teachers), to decrease the bullying how bout just go to a better school where people come from wealthier backgrounds or private schools, teach your kids to socialize more and create more friends, dont be a outcast(ex: gay),get more involved(sports, clubs), if its a urban demographic, dont wear cheap clothing cause its going to cause alot of uproar & gossip, nothing fake/wack, look sharp dont look out of place/weak, cause street kids can seek out prey, you really have to be there and understand what goes on in the classroom, i been there before i just graduated i wasnt a bully but like i siad i've witnessed it alot on others and realized why some of these events happen, everybody gets bullied(majority at one point) i have been bullied earlier before in my school career and i used self defense but fortunateness the school kicks you out for that so i had to suffer the consequences which is foolish to me especially if the teacher doesn't control the class i have to take matters into my hands

Old 03-10-2011, 01:06 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
[quote=PatDJohns;18220983]
Quote:

You didnt insult me? Did you not imply that I still get "snickered at" because Im gay? Thats just a little insulting to me as well as dismissing what I went through by trying to pin it on me, as if its MY FAULT I was bullied because I came out as gay.
No I didnt insult you.

If you believe no one, absolutely no one, who knows you or works with you has not made some comment about you being gay, you are living with a bag over your head.

It was not your fault that you were bullied, but you didn't help the situation either.
There are times every person needs to act in such a manner as to protect themselves from injury, insult, abuse, and bullying. You chose not to and you suffered the consequences.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:13 PM

[quote=Gpsma;18221120]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post

No I didnt insult you.

If you believe no one, absolutely no one, who knows you or works with you has not made some comment about you being gay, you are living with a bag over your head.

It was not your fault that you were bullied, but you didn't help the situation either.
There are times every person needs to act in such a manner as to protect themselves from injury, insult, abuse, and bullying. You chose not to and you suffered the consequences.
I know people make jokes behind my back about being gay but if you cant do it to my face, then I really dont care what you say about me behind my back. In my mind, that person is a coward.

And I get the point you are making that if I stayed in the closet high school would have been much easier. I knew that when I came out too. However, that doesnt excuse the violence and it doesnt change the pain it caused. Gay kids should not suffer for being gay. End of story. There is no excuse and it is the same as a black kid getting beat up for the color of his skin.

My poor parents suffered too. Nobody wants to see their child with constant bruises, black eyes, depressed. They didnt get involved because I told them I needed to learn to hanlde this crap on my own but trust me, they wanted to very badly. When kids are bullied, its like the whole family must suffer with that child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island