Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 03:03 AM

7 posts, read 14,070 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

This is my first post here, so I'll start by saying "Hi". I'm Jennifer and I currently live in Salem, Mass, but am thinking about moving to the village of Cove Neck in Oyster Bay. I've been on Long Island a few times and just love it there (plus I heard that Cove Neck is pretty small, which is what I'm looking for). I'm thinking about moving there with my son at some time in the near future. I was just wondering if anyone out there could tell me what the people are like there, the kind of things they do, and how easy it is to find a house etc.

Any advice would be welcome. I want to learn as much as I can about it.

Thanks!
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 09:50 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferGlass View Post
Hey Everyone!

This is my first post here, so I'll start by saying "Hi". I'm Jennifer and I currently live in Salem, Mass, but am thinking about moving to the village of Cove Neck in Oyster Bay. I've been on Long Island a few times and just love it there (plus I heard that Cove Neck is pretty small, which is what I'm looking for). I'm thinking about moving there with my son at some time in the near future. I was just wondering if anyone out there could tell me what the people are like there, the kind of things they do, and how easy it is to find a house etc.

Any advice would be welcome. I want to learn as much as I can about it.

Thanks!
Jen
Hello Jen,

Welcome to Long Island! You certainly picked a beautiful area for your potential move

How easy is it to find a house? Currently, there are seven properties available; the lowest priced one is $1,895,000, the highest priced is $5,450,000. RE taxes start at about $30,000 incl. Village taxes.

In the past 14 months, only 4 houses actually closed - the most recent one last month.

Since inventory is a bit limited, would you consider Centre Island??

Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Centre Island seems nice too. Are there any cheaper areas near Cove Neck? What kind of people live there, is it just celebrities? lol!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Cove Neck

Quote:
Are there any cheaper areas near Cove Neck? What kind of people live there, is it just celebrities? lol!
To answer your second question first, it's generally old money in Cove Neck.

To answer your first question, no.

For those who may not be familiar with Cove Neck:

Cove Neck is a village (incorporated in 1927) in the northeast most part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the northeast part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Cove Neck in the Town of Oyster Bay is a peninsula bordered on the north by Long Island Sound; on the east by Long Island Sound and the Cold Spring Harbor; on the south by the Village of Oyster Bay Cove; and, on the west by Oyster Bay Harbor.

A map of the Village of Cove Neck in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/Cove-neck-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Cove Neck is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name in their mailing address: all places in the Village of Cove Neck have an "Oyster Bay, NY 11771" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 03-15-2011, 11:20 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Centre Island seems nice too. Are there any cheaper areas near Cove Neck? What kind of people live there, is it just celebrities? lol!
Mostly just people with money Often "old" money...

What do you consider "cheap"???

Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
There is really nothing that is inexpensive in that area. I grew up there. (Not Cove Neck but Oyster Bay Cove)
As to what the people of Cove Neck do, they do their own thing. There is not much community, if that is what you seek.
I agree that the North Shore is lovely and it does have a New England vibe. But it is a very expensive place to live. Perhaps money is not an issue for you, but if it is you had better have a lot of it.
The least expensive place to live on Nassau County's North Shore would be in the village of Oyster Bay.
Go to mlsli.com and you will get an idea of what is available in that area.
Best of luck!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Oyster Bay is a hamlet, not a village.

Oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There is really nothing that is inexpensive in that area. I grew up there. (Not Cove Neck but Oyster Bay Cove)
As to what the people of Cove Neck do, they do their own thing. There is not much community, if that is what you seek.
I agree that the North Shore is lovely and it does have a New England vibe. But it is a very expensive place to live. Perhaps money is not an issue for you, but if it is you had better have a lot of it.
The least expensive place to live on Nassau County's North Shore would be in the village of Oyster Bay.
Go to mlsli.com and you will get an idea of what is available in that area.
Best of luck!
Money isn't tight by any means and I am flexible, though I do like the idea of community. What is life like in Oyster Bay? Are the people friendly? What sort of things are common there (I know this is a hard question!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island