Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,434 times

Advertisements

Guys,
We were exploring a house- its in Herricks School district and adjacent to the school ground. The entrance to the school is not in front through the street- We like the house, but the house has been listed for over an year now, so we were wondering if its not being sold due to the proximity with the school. Everything else including price seems to be reasonable now (well, it was listed high earlier). Any advice on whether being close to the school has such impact on its sale?

Thanks much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 12:06 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homehunter2011 View Post
Guys,
We were exploring a house- its in Herricks School district and adjacent to the school ground. The entrance to the school is not in front through the street- We like the house, but the house has been listed for over an year now, so we were wondering if its not being sold due to the proximity with the school. Everything else including price seems to be reasonable now (well, it was listed high earlier). Any advice on whether being close to the school has such impact on its sale?

Thanks much

I know of listings in other areas where being next door to a school (especially High School) has hindered the sale of a property. With so much inventory out there, buyers are and can be more selective unless they get what they believe to be a "bargain" to make up for the "neighbor".

Old 03-12-2011, 12:59 PM

886 posts, read 2,647,628 times
When you buy near/next to a school you need to accept that traffic will be an issue during arrival,dismissal and night activities as well as weekend/evening sports practices. If walkers use your street you will get candy wrappers,loose leaf papers,cigarettes etc thrown on street.If it's a high school you'll have band practice/game noise.Tolerance is needed.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:54 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,535 times
I know of someone that owns a home adjacent to a high school property. He discovered that when his family was at work, a bunch of high school kids were using his backyard deck, as well as his patio set and lawn furniture, as a lunchtime "hangout" place.
*Remember, oftentimes high school kids can leave campus during the day. Should you buy a home adjacent to a high school, remain vigilant of what goes on during school hours on your property (not only issues with possible damage to your personal property, but insurance issues as well should one of them be hurt).

Old 03-12-2011, 03:26 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Check out the home at arrival and dismissal times and see if you can live with it. My sister was near a school in GC and it definitely impacted how quickly she sold the house - although it only took 3 months, she did get feedback that it was a negative.

As pp said, schools are busy not just at school times. It's something to consider.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,930 times
I think the only way I'd consider living next to a school is if it was an elementary school and I had a child entering kindergarten. Under any other circumstances, I'd view it as a huge negative.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,672 times
Also a diesel bus is noisy and smelly.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Parking is another issue being close to a school. When there are different functions parking can spill over into the neighboring streets.

Another factor to consider is what time people start arriving at the school in the morning and if it is a HS -- are the students allowed to drive to/from and park at the school? You have to deal with them as well as the buses -- early, dismissal and late buses as well as parents picking up and dropping off through the day.

My parent's house was around the corner and across another street from the HS, but to the back of the school so there wasn't a traffic issue. We did hear a lot of noise during outdoor gym classes, practices and home games.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 AM

12 posts, read 24,786 times
We have a Catholic elementary school near us (way up the block, however). Whenever I am taking my son to the park during the week - the travel time goes from 3 minutes to 15 minutes... to get AROUND the block... I see kids on the lawns, throwing garbage, what if they throw something at a window? they run and skid on your perfectly green grass and create skid marks of dirt, noise all day, you will probably hear the bell ringing (worse if it is a HS with periods - then it will ring every 45 minutes!!!). If you can deal with garbage on the lawn and the noise... go for it. There are a LOT of factors tho (and lots of other options out there for you to choose from...). OR... if you can deal with it - use it as negotiating power to bring the price down a few notches?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:08 PM

629 posts, read 963,283 times
I think I know which house you're talking about. We looked at it too, but didn't make an offer. Assuming it is the one I'm thinking about, I actually didn't mind the location too much, since it felt like we'd have a big park to ourselves when school was out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island