Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 24,468 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new in forum and would like to have suggestions from you!
we are doing house hunting in Metro NY area and need you ideas - we are couples with a 2 year old kids, so safety and good school district will be important for us. My husband work in midtown and I'm in long island city, so commute time is important too. Now we live in NJ and just start to think about purchasing our house. There are many choices/areas here such as NJ, Long island, Westchester, Queens or CT, and we are so confused.

Here is some criterias in our mind:

1. Safe and low crime.
2. Good school district as we have a 2 year old.
3. Commute to midtown and long island city not too long, prefer around 1 hour door to door.
4. 4 bedrooms, 2.5+ baths. No need to be a big house with a large yard, but need to be comfortable and have nice neighborhood.
5. Diverse community as we are asia.
6. Budget-around $800k.
7. We are not handman so hope no much work to do on the house. Best have move-in condition!

Any ideas where we should consider?
Thanks!

Last edited by onlyy; 06-27-2011 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:57 AM

Thanks, TYPO - budget is $800k!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyy View Post
Hi,

I'm new in forum and would like to have suggestions from you!
we are doing house hunting in Metro NY area and need you ideas - we are couples with a 2 year old kids, so safety and good school district will be important for us. My husband work in midtown and I'm in long island city, so commute time is important too. Now we live in NJ and just start to think about purchasing our house. There are many choices/areas here such as NJ, Long island, Westchester, Queens or CT, and we are so confused.

Here is some criterias in our mind:

1. Safe and low crime.
2. Good school district as we have a 2 year old.
3. Commute to midtown and long island city not too long, prefer around 1 hour door to door.
4. 4 bedrooms, 2.5+ baths. No need to be a big house with a large yard, but need to be comfortable and have nice neighborhood.
5. Diverse community as we are asia.
6. Budget-around $800k.
7. We are not handman so hope no much work to do on the house. Best have move-in condition!

Any ideas where we should consider?
Thanks!
Probably a Northeastern Nassau/Northwestern Suffolk town would suit you best.

Syosset, Jericho, Dix Hills and Greenlawn may be good choices.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 06-27-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 10:49 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Other areas you might like:

Great Neck -- Manhasset -- (parts of) Port Washington -- Garden City

Old 06-27-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Probably a Northeastern Nassau/Northwestern Suffolk town would suit you best.

Syosset, Jericho, Dix Hills and Greenlawn may be good choices.

thanks, yes, I like Jericho very much, but my husband worry about the commute time from there to Midtown. So how long does it take door to door from Jericho to Midtown? And is the house overpriced in Jericho?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Other areas you might like:

Great Neck -- Manhasset -- (parts of) Port Washington -- Garden City

Good choices. I consider these towns before, are they very expensive though?

Old 06-27-2011, 11:02 AM

147 posts, read 543,777 times
Take a look at Manhasset Hills - Herricks school district. Commute to Manhattan is not bad. And budget of $850k will buy you a house there that doesn't need too much fixing up.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Good choices. I consider these towns before, are they very expensive though?
I think you could find something within your budget. Take a look at the website of the Multiple Listing Service of Long Island here and you can search for houses and see if you find anything you'd like to look at:

MLSLI.com

PS: I just did a search (Garden City, Great Neck, Manhasset, Manhasset Hills, Port Washington) between the prices of $700,000 and $800,000 and there were 91 properties to choose from.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:09 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
Quote:
thanks, yes, I like Jericho very much, but my husband worry about the commute time from there to Midtown. So how long does it take door to door from Jericho to Midtown? And is the house overpriced in Jericho?
Well, with your budget of 800k, that get's you a lot in even most of the more affluent towns in Long Island. The majority of homes in Jericho are between 400k-900k.

As for your commute, the Westbury or Hicksville stop is the closest (depending on where you are in Jericho) and it will get you to Penn Station in well under an hour.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:14 PM

11 posts, read 23,913 times
if u care about commute to city, great neck is the best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island