Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:02 PM

114 posts, read 849,833 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the laws are on dog poop? Or any advice on what to do about this?

We live in a small town in Nassau, and one of our neighbors does not pick up after their dog. They leave poop behind on the stretch of grass that lies between the sidewalk and the street.

I put up signs that read "please curb your dog", and a bag of little bags on two poles by our house. The next morning, there was fresh poo and one sign taken down.

Next up is that pepper stuff we got for the racoons. Not sure that will deter a pooch, but it's worth a shot.

I also contacted the Town of Hempstead to see if there was anything they could do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 05:11 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
9mm to the freaking head of the dooshbag owner

In all seriousness, the town can fine them but I would assume its hard to enforce as they need to be caught in the act. My parents had the same problem as you but went straight to using stuff you mentioned that keeps away the dogs.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post

In all seriousness, the town can fine them but I would assume its hard to enforce as they need to be caught in the act. My parents had the same problem as you but went straight to using stuff you mentioned that keeps away the dogs.

thanks, mgt!

i hope it works. i wish i knew when it was happening. i have a feeling it's going on in the wee hours of the morning...

Old 03-13-2011, 06:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
That's an easy one to solve if you know the culprit. If you don't know who it is, you are going to have to do some watching until you find out. I think you were MORE THAN NICE about it so far, even providing poop bags! Do what I did to a former neighbor whose dog had a penchant for pooping right where I would step when getting out of the car ... I scooped up the poop on a paper plate, rang the owner's doorbell and stood back and watched him almost step in the plate of poop. Then I proceeded to rant at him at high volume. It never happened again. He actually started walking the dog on the next block!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That's an easy one to solve if you know the culprit. If you don't know who it is, you are going to have to do some watching until you find out. I think you were MORE THAN NICE about it so far, even providing poop bags! Do what I did to a former neighbor whose dog had a penchant for pooping right where I would step when getting out of the car ... I scooped up the poop on a paper plate, rang the owner's doorbell and stood back and watched him almost step in the plate of poop. Then I proceeded to rant at him at high volume. It never happened again. He actually started walking the dog on the next block!

that is great! but sadly no, i don't know who it is...yet.

we live in a pretty tight knit community too, so i have over 50 email addresses of our neighbors. sent out an email for people to be on the look out.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:30 PM

116 posts, read 365,958 times
I had this exact thing happen to me. Similar to you, I put up a sign, but mine read "Be careful where you step, one of my neighbors doesn't curb their dog". After a few days of the neighbors gossiping about it, it stopped. One neighbor told me, "I know who was doing it". I'm guessing by making it public, they were embarrassed. There aren't too many people with dogs on my block!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 9,002 times
Default Pattycee629

Wow, I finally found a site that addresses the exact problem I am having! Strongly agree with the 9mm to the a**hole's head, but let's not get carried away. This snotnose and her dog were standing at the end of my driveway, right on the grass strip, when I pulled into my driveway one night. She scared the crap out of me, and then, when I got my wits about me, I realized that the dog was crapping on the grass right in front of me !!!! Again, got my wits about me and politely asked her to please not walk her dog on the grass strip because I put my garbage out right there at night, sometimes in my slippers. She responded with, "Well, I think it's allowed as long as you clean it up." OH MY GOD. Do you think I should just invite her in for coffee, and her dog can just go ahead and crap in my yard?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:22 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post

What are you a tough guy...tough guy...you from 5th and Washington...you know what happens to tough guys from 5th and Washington?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Check this out and call TOH again. chapter 153 Hempstead

Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
I had this problem in Brooklyn (no grass verge involved). One day I was just pissed about it becuase my kids had been outside playing on the sidewalk and nearly fell on it. So I scooped it up and knocked on the guy's door (he was a teenager living with his parents). I put it there right on his stoop. The guy opens the door, all pissed, we got into a shouting match, something about "You don't know me", and I'm like "yea i do - you're the teenager living with his parents" and then he "shows" me he's gotta gun (it was the smallest gun i've ever seen). I said - "You're gonna pull a gun on me over your dog crap?!", and I turned heel went indoors called 911 (I'm no hero) - told them a guy had just pulled a gun on me at no.X on Y st. In 1 minute literally there is screeching and the cops are there all over. They're asking me questions and then they are in the house (6 rental units) searching for the guy - he's gone!, and his parents are shaking their heads and suddenly speaking only Polish. After about 20 mins. the cops leave. I never saw that teenager again - and his parents started walking the dang mutt and picking up after themselves. There is no point or moral to this story - it just happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island