Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:10 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
since you dont know A. How much work is being done by the utilities vs the eruv group and B. How much time is available when utility workers need to be on site, but arent doing anything, etc, I would suggest you dont know.

I once did cost analysis for a railroad - our yard crews had minimum 8 hour shifts - there were times when they could do additional work with no fiscal impact.

So I guess they're hanging up NOTHING then, and using NO gas, right? LIPA really has perpetual motion powered vehicles these days, and that damn free wire they have going on really does wonders.

There's a cost SOMEWHERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
yes, thats Judaism. I dont tell catholicism what its supposed to be like or protestantism, or islam.
Hey I'm not telling you how to follow your religion. I'm just pointing out the fact that there are those in your religion that spend lifetimes figuring out the wonders of the Torah like the Shabbos Mode on my oven or hiring goyim to open doors.

And not to mention, having invisible wires being hung up for free by private utilities companies

Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
And they don't have to force it on the community at large in public spaces.

as far as I can tell this only involves private property.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:13 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
as far as I can tell this only involves private property.
It's not encircling or hanging over public property?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Hey I'm not telling you how to follow your religion. I'm just pointing out the fact that there are those in your religion that spend lifetimes figuring out the wonders of the Torah like the Shabbos Mode on my oven or hiring goyim to open doors.

And not to mention, having invisible wires being hung up for free by private utilities companies
In other peoples religions, there were people who spent lifetimes making gargoyles.

The laws of shabbos are our cultural creations, the shabbos our cathedral in time. we couldnt build cathedrals in space, as we couldnt take them with us when certain people expelled us.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:15 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Question: On LI if a power pole travels through someones property is that considered a "utility easement" or do they own the strip outright?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
It's not encircling or hanging over public property?

Excuse me? If there is public property surrounded by private property, does that constrain private property owners (as long as they respect any public easements?)

As for a utility line or railroad overpass over a road, IIUC as long as they have the proper easement to cross the road, they have the right to do anything the want with their utility line or overpass.

And further, are the towns here only trying to regulate Verizon and LIPA where their lines cross a public road?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Default It's a bunch of smoke and mirrors ...

... and they are dragging the general SECULAR public into it.

If it's "no big deal on private property" then why is there even any controversy over it?

You know what? I just thought of something that could have saved two lives! There should have been a Satanic Eruv in Massapequa Park for Anthony DiGeronimo to run around in between while wearing his crazy costume and mask and brandishing his knives! Then he wouldn't have gotten shot for "practicing his beliefs" in public.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 AM

I think this whole thread has crossed the Eruv and needs to come back.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
... and they are dragging the general SECULAR public into it.

If it's "no big deal on private property" then why is there even any controversy over it?
I think because the town govts attempted to prevent the utilities from cooperating with the eruv, for reasons that one could debate, but for no clear public purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island