Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:04 PM

556 posts, read 1,446,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The problem I see is I don't think any of the housing is going to be very affordable, except for the small percentage specifically put aside as "affordable." I don't think it will help many LI basement dwellers. What we really need to know is if it's going to be mostly "luxury" housing (something we don't need more of) and decidedly non-affordable or priced within the range of a middle class person or couple starting out. Take a look at anything else built within the last 10 years on LI and it is always, without fail, either affordable housing but only for SENIORS or luxury housing, not affordable to those stuck living in basements. Anything affordable for all ages that's been created in the last couple of decades where people use the "housing lottery" method to determine if they will be able to buy in or not have always been in rough neighborhoods. Look at the Central Islip project mentioned on this thread. It's kind of ironic that that one, too, was formerly the grounds of a mental asylum. (Did all the crazy people leave LI or have they just been set loose???)

As for the traffic, I don't know. I don't travel the Sagtikos regularly. People who do would know better than me. Also please remember that the thousands of crazy people that used to live there weren't out driving around! They were confined to the grounds.
I see your point, but thats why its being built in phases. If the Luxury ones get filled, then good for them. If not, they will probally lower the prices and BOOM, more affordable housing.

Shuttle busses to the LIRR and the new mall there(where people could also work) and to SBU/Hospital(largest employer on LI) and a few other places and it could work really well.

People who live around there see no problem or at least are accepting of the pace it would be built, and people who can think outside of tommorrow support it, so obviously that means people on this board will not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 02:20 PM

456 posts, read 1,429,123 times
Phases my rear-end. Once the money machine starts moving, it's not going to stop. That's so funny. Phases. This is a nightmare. The NIMBY's will prevail!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:26 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
I see your point, but thats why its being built in phases. If the Luxury ones get filled, then good for them. If not, they will probally lower the prices and BOOM, more affordable housing.

Shuttle busses to the LIRR and the new mall there(where people could also work) and to SBU/Hospital(largest employer on LI) and a few other places and it could work really well.

People who live around there see no problem or at least are accepting of the pace it would be built, and people who can think outside of tommorrow support it, so obviously that means people on this board will not
I thought many of the people expressing concern or opposition to it on this thread lived around it ...

Old 04-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
Phases my rear-end. Once the money machine starts moving, it's not going to stop. That's so funny. Phases. This is a nightmare. The NIMBY's will prevail!
Honestly I don't know if I am for or against it ... plus I live in Nassau so I am an outsider to it ... the plans as drawn of what they want to build certainly looks nice ... but will it be affordable to the middle class ... the traffic concerns ...

I don't know if it's right if the NIMBYs prevail or not. I wish they DID NOT prevail in Town of Hempstead when it came to the Lighthouse Project. The Coliseum area is the ugliest area in East Garden City and would have been greatly improved. But Kate Murray is the Queen of NIMBY and that must be how she gets reelected election after election ... by the gnarled old hands of the elderly NIMBY voters. As long as THEY get their super-cheap old age restricted Town-funded and Town-subsidized brand new condos with super-cheap maintenance and full amenities like pools and clubhouses in nice middle class neighborhoods ... that's all the development they think LI needs.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 04-01-2011 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: corrected wrong geographical location

Old 04-01-2011, 02:43 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The Coliseum are is the ugliest area in East Meadow ...
The Coliseum is in East Garden City ("Uniondale, NY 11553" mailing address).

Old 04-01-2011, 02:46 PM

456 posts, read 1,429,123 times
Well, I'm not elderly and I do live in Suffolk and have to drive past this site every workday. I also agree that the Lighthouse project should have proceeded, this was going to renew an already blighted area and would be an overall benefit for the area. This Brentwood thing is going to level open spaces, something that is quickly disappearing here on Long Island. We live in the suburbs, we don't need a mini-city in the middle of it all. Also, I don't know who is going to occupy this area in the end, but I do know that our children are not going to be able to afford brand new construction anywhere on Long Island. Sorry, no-way, no-how. If it's so-called affordable housing, then we already know what the area is going to devolve into.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The Coliseum is in East Garden City ("Uniondale, NY 11553" mailing address).
Fixed it.

TY!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:20 AM

16 posts, read 42,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
What are you referring to?

My ancestors, as did most European immigrants, came to this country from Europe for religious and/or economic freedom.
You missed the point entirely Walter.

I am not referring to the "fore fathers" of this great country, but to those who now stream into America via land, air and sea, and drop their baggage at the nearest "bodega" to start searching for shelter and a way to make a few dollars without paying taxes, but will “bleed the system dry” because their friends already sent them the information as to how “easy” it can be!

Have you driven around LaGuardia or Kennedy airports lately? You can play "spot the white face" with your children and reminisce as to how "it used to be".. Go to Newark, NJ, Chicago, IL Miami, FL, as see what has happened by opening the doors to this once great country to the masses..... As I said in my prior message, "WE" are making the same mistakes over and over again. England has now become an Indian, Arabic and Polish country. America is becoming an Indian, Hispanic and African country.

Our problem is we are too damn weak and our elected officials bend to pressure from the special interest groups who fund the damn primaries for the same politicians who you and I want to see out of office, but nobody cares, because nobody votes so this B S continues to roll into towns and villages across America.

Australia seems to be the last bastion of hope... $100K in the bank before you arrive, or you are NOT welcome!

Charles.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgms310 View Post
As I said in my prior message, "WE" are making the same mistakes over and over again. England has now become an Indian, Arabic and Polish country. America is becoming an Indian, Hispanic and African country.
Ah!, so you want to bring back the Know Nothing Party, huh?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,331,641 times
They should just say yes and look into plans of widening the Sagtikos or something

Neither we like it or not.... With the way the World Population is going, projects like these are inevitable and we must face the reality that much of Long Island will eventually one day be as dense if not denser than Queens as it is right now..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island