Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 08:20 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Per your link:
Longwood #40
Bellport #43
Floyd #45
Patch Med #47

HS rankings Suffolk County.

WOW-PATCH MED IS REALLY ON THE DECLINE!
That dude better sell his condo and move to....Rocky Point.

Wait, there's more...
Lets look at property taxes for these areas....
Is Longwood worth $10,000-$12,000 per year Compared to Bellports $6000-$9000???
Great idea. We love RP schools.

FWIW we lived in the Condos on River ave as a kid and loved it.
Its nice to see Patchogue coming back.

Crooks

PS that data is for 2001 would you post the new Suffok HS ranks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
I think you owe CD an apology for this misinformatuion you provided.
At least stop being a baby and apologize to the poster you quoted.
That's a stretch in terms of misinformation. Replace the word declining with "below average" and it's 100% spot on.

You're trying really hard to paint me as a bad guy, Scott, but the truth is, you told people that "now is the time to buy" ...and those people would have lost a significant amount of equity based on your advice at the time.

I leave the rest to make judgement on who is the malicious clown.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:27 AM

402 posts, read 1,406,517 times
Cool It's a Question of Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
. . . with the way housing prices are still jacked up here and crazy taxes . . . property and school taxes, which go up every year . . . ALL of my utilities are included (including electric), I do not pay any property or school taxes, and I pay no interest on my rent like I would on a mortgage. At the end of the month I still have enough money left over to save a little and go out . . . (You do not know how many times some ppl I talk to say you are throwing your money away renting).

What does everyone else think?
It is going to take a while to make a profit with that tax. For a short term senario, I would NOT buy a house THERE. You only make a profit after you sell the house. It's like an investment. You could just put some of your extra spending money into an interest-earning savings account or invest it.

Buying vs renting is one of those equations where you have to figure out all of the factors (as closely as you can estimate) and then consider how many years you'll be living there (again, estimate).

For the first X years, it will be cheaper to rent. You have no downpayment, no property taxes, mello roos, or HOA dues, and you have no home improvement expenses. If you plot the years/expense on a graph, you will see that after X number of years, the lines will cross and owning the home will become more lucrative (after profit from sales).

The main factors are:
Rent: monthly rent + increases (It WILL go up & utilities may not always be included.)

Own: downpayment, monthly mortgage, property taxes & any dues, home improvement expenses (landscaping, appliances, repairs, etc.), & utilities--
MINUS tax savings and PROFIT made upon sale.

There are other factors such as commuting distance, etc. but these are enough to get a general picture.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:30 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,346,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Crooks

Sorry, no. I'm using the out of date link dman provided. You know, the one he uses to judge everything about everything.

I don't use worthless stats to form an opinion. I use my super intelligent brain.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
It is going to take a while to make a profit with that tax. For a short term senario, I would NOT buy a house THERE. You only make a profit after you sell the house. It's like an investment. You could just put some of your extra spending money into an interest-earning savings account or invest it.

Buying vs renting is one of those equations where you have to figure out all of the factors (as closely as you can estimate) and then consider how many years you'll be living there (again, estimate).

For the first X years, it will be cheaper to rent. You have no downpayment, no property taxes, mello roos, or HOA dues, and you have no home improvement expenses. If you plot the years/expense on a graph, you will see that after X number of years, the lines will cross and owning the home will become more lucrative (after profit from sales).

The main factors are:
Rent: monthly rent + increases (It WILL go up & utilities may not always be included.)

Own: downpayment, monthly mortgage, property taxes & any dues, home improvement expenses (landscaping, appliances, repairs, etc.), & utilities--MINUS tax savings and PROFIT made upon sale.
Is It Better to Buy or Rent? - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

This is a calculator that helps you in this process. There used to be an even more detailed one on another site that I can't find. That one was great except for one thing..you couldn't put in a negative number for the "appreciation" field, ie depreciation..so it was a pre-bubble burst calculator.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
That's a stretch in terms of misinformation. Replace the word declining with "below average" and it's 100% spot on.

You're trying really hard to paint me as a bad guy, Scott, but the truth is, you told people that "now is the time to buy" ...and those people would have lost a significant amount of equity based on your advice at the time.

I leave the rest to make judgement on who is the malicious clown.

Smart people know you don't buy a house for equity baby. Maybe this is why you STILL don't have a house?
Prior to the bubble it took on average 14 years to build 80/20 equity. That's a fact baby.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Crooks

You can get the data for each high school for every year on that website, you just have to put them in order yourself.

Sean x ad infinitum posted them a few years back for 2008 or something.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Is It Better to Buy or Rent? - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

This is a calculator that helps you in this process. There used to be an even more detailed one on another site that I can't find. That one was great except for one thing..you couldn't put in a negative number for the "appreciation" field, ie depreciation..so it was a pre-bubble burst calculator.

must obey link
must obey link
must obey link
must obey link
must obey link
I am a robot
must obey link
must obey link

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
You can get the data for each high school for every year on that website, you just have to put them in order yourself.

Sean x ad infinitum posted them a few years back for 2008 or something.
It would be interesting to see.

Quote:
Sorry, no. I'm using the out of date link dman provided. You know, the one he uses to judge everything about everything.

I don't use worthless stats to form an opinion. I use my super intelligent brain.
Even no necked thugs can usually figure out how to maneuver through that website .....it isn't just 2001 'toopid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island