Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:11 AM

863 posts, read 2,110,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am with you. Albeit nearly retiring age, I have attended some of the party places here on LI with friends, grandkids etc. and I would never have one outside my home. The party places are used over and over again and I think the potential for germs is too much of a risk. Just like the ball room at IKEA. I see tons of kids with coughs, colds, runny noses, you name it and yet the parents simply don't even give it a second thought! Oh well I guess I am getting old. Just my 2 cents. Yes it is a bit of work but I know how clean my own house is.
Wow it’s amazing to see how judgmental you people are. The OP asked for suggestions and we get the high and mighty parents. Have you ever considered that the OP may work long hrs and the last thing she wants’ to do is setup and clean up a party or spend the day before cleaning and cleaning after the party. I normally have home parties and I tell you what I considering using a party place.
1. I am lucky if I am home before 6:30 on a given day, and I normally have to take a day off from work to clean the home with 3 kids and another half day to shop for food and party favors.
2. It cost more to shop for the food and when you add the time to cook your now way behind.
3. I get to spend no time with my kid because I am too busy tending to this and that in addition to maybe working the grill.
4. I have to clean after the guest leave and I am shot the next day.

So you parents that do everything right I hope you continue to do so. The ones afraid of germs you must really not have kids. I know I know why add to the germs they already shower themselves in right but last time I check you cannot always protect them. So if you don't have anything to contribute keep the comments to yourself, however this is just my two cents and i guess everyone is entitled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,045,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AimL72 View Post
I am considering Once Upon a Treetop, Wood Kingdom and a place in Smithtown called Hop and Bop.

Has anyone hosted a party at these places? If so, what are your thoughts? Or does anyone have a better recommendation?

Thanks for your help
Had a party at Treetop and thought it was great. Been to Hop and Bop and it was good as well. Thought Wood Kingdom was no better than any public playground.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 AM

903 posts, read 3,584,707 times
Its too bad the OP asked a simple question and a few people have to jump in with the "trouble with parents..." blah blah blah-I dont remember some of the member of city-data being so judgmental when I joined 4 years ago-

To the original question-I just went to one for a 4 year old at Hot Shots in Plainview off of exit 46. Pump it Up is also over there.

Also a few years ago MATTS in Syosset did a really nice 2 and 3 year old party.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,344,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
There in lies the problem. Excuses used by parents over why they can't or won't do anything for their children and expect others to.
We had home parties for our girls when they were young and how much effort does it take? Buy three large plastic tables clothes. First round each kid makes their own pizza.When it's baking the plastic clothe is rolled up and tossed.The next one is laid down and kids decorate their own visor. Out comes pizza and they eat. Into den to open gifts and up gets rolled clothe #2. Third one is put out and kids make their own sundaes. They eat them and cake and away they go.Roll up last clothe,sweep and wash kitchen floor and ta da....done.
Good plan +5!

I would also like to add call Uncle Magic for entertainment!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,344,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Wow it’s amazing to see how judgmental you people are. The OP asked for suggestions and we get the high and mighty parents. Have you ever considered that the OP may work long hrs and the last thing she wants’ to do is setup and clean up a party or spend the day before cleaning and cleaning after the party. I normally have home parties and I tell you what I considering using a party place.
1. I am lucky if I am home before 6:30 on a given day, and I normally have to take a day off from work to clean the home with 3 kids and another half day to shop for food and party favors.
2. It cost more to shop for the food and when you add the time to cook your now way behind.
3. I get to spend no time with my kid because I am too busy tending to this and that in addition to maybe working the grill.

So you parents that do everything right I hope you continue to do so. The ones afraid of germs you must really not have kids. I know I know why add to the germs they already shower themselves in right but last time I check you cannot always protect them. So if you don't have anything to contribute keep the comments to yourself, however this is just my two cents and i guess everyone is entitled.
It's very understandable that many people simply do not have the time. Believe me, I understand, as I am lucky if I am home by 9:00 pm from work.

Not everybody can or wants to do the home parties. As kids get older they also have opinions on where they want their party to be and the kids I know tend to like to go somewhere else instead of stay home.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 AM

113 posts, read 318,395 times
Adventureland is as Western Suffolk as you can get. My nephews had their birthday parties there when they were young, but this was almost 15 years ago. Now they act like they are too old (17!) to go there and dislike even passing the place. Adventureland is still the same place it was 15-20 years ago or has it changed?

Old 04-23-2011, 03:40 PM

13,064 posts, read 18,179,062 times
I apologize if you consider that I am being judgmental. When it comes to protecting children from what I consider a less than clean environment, I still believe I am entitled to my opinion. My error is not in my opinion just in my response to a previous poster that I agreed with. That said, it was not the answer the op was looking for and there you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post

Old 06-25-2011, 04:55 PM

584 posts, read 873,108 times
Has any been to white post farm in the summer? I was thinking for taking my 7 yr old and 4 other kids for her birthdday. I will bring my own cake and balloons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island