Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 08:02 AM

29 posts, read 50,235 times

Advertisements

Hi, putting this post up in hopes there might be others out there in a similiar situation. Are you or have you been considering leaving Long Island for career, social, weather and lifestyle reasons? I have been investigating the possibility of relocating to the west coast (San Diego) maybe L.A., and want to know if anyone is contemplating doing the same thing but would be more comfortable moving there with someone rather than going solo. This could either be a possible roommate situation or live nearby, but being able to know someone off the bat could ease the transition. I have significant savings and would be going out there with the intent to rent first and look for a new job. I am a prof in the Real Estate/Finance field.

In addition, I haven't ruled out completely the following: Wash DC & Denver as an alt.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:07 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetoffLI View Post
Hi, putting this post up in hopes there might be others out there in a similiar situation. Are you or have you been considering leaving Long Island for career, social, weather and lifestyle reasons? I have been investigating the possibility of relocating to the west coast (San Diego) maybe L.A., and want to know if anyone is contemplating doing the same thing but would be more comfortable moving there with someone rather than going solo. This could either be a possible roommate situation or live nearby, but being able to know someone off the bat could ease the transition. I have significant savings and would be going out there with the intent to rent first and look for a new job. I am a prof in the Real Estate/Finance field.

In addition, I haven't ruled out completely the following: Wash DC & Denver as an alt.

I had some friends move to Littleton after College, they liked it but eventually came home when it was time for kids.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:20 AM

147 posts, read 371,484 times
I wouldn't worry about going about it solo. I left NY in 2007 for a job opportunity out west after college. I went out on my own, made some friends, and ended up heading back to NY for a better job opportunity a few years later. In a way, its probably better if you go out by yourself, NYers tend to bring bad habits especially when they are with other NYers. No one out west wants to hear how things are different back east, pizza isn't good here, blah blah blah. San Diego/LA is roughly as expensive as most parts of LI, so if you can afford to live there, find out you don't like it and want to come back, it shouldn't be a problem. Where I lived, the COL was roughly half of what it is here, albeit I was 3 hours away from any major cities, so I wouldn't have returned without a significant pay bump. If you're single and don't care/dont have a lot of family in the area, I'd head out and explore the world, too many LIers never leave this place and get the provincial "NY is the greatest" mindset.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:26 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
When/if you do move, I know people in other areas use meetup to get together with other folks. It seems to be very popular in other areas. Also, your City-data friends in the other city forums can help direct you to places to meet people.

I had several friends who moved off LI in our 20s by themselves and all did fine. And are still happily living in the "new" homes.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:49 AM

29 posts, read 50,235 times
Didn't think this post would bounce off to well, but that's ok. I appreciate the input and yes I do have lots of family here on LI. I'd like to experience the west coast, but a bit weary of the long distance and plane ordeal. That's probably my only gripe.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetoffLI View Post

I hope you have $$$$$ for a gated community if you want to move to those areas because they are about on a par with LI for cost PLUS, unfortunately, have had a lot of problems because of their proximity to Mexico. I saw a show on TV the other night, as a matter of fact, about a family visiting Mexico who got kidnapped and got away near the border and the San Diego police would not/could not do much for them (no authority to investigate within Mexico). The crimes went unpunished, including the theft of their very expensive motor home.

The show also interviewed someone from the San Diego police and he said that murders and kidnappings are rising steeply in San Diego itself due to Mexican drug gangs.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:12 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,801,344 times
I'm getting a much clearer understanding of that old expression: "out of the frying pan and into the fire".

Old 05-05-2011, 02:25 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,331,641 times
The reality of the situation is that there really aren't that many places in the country doing better than Long Island, economically speaking. So I don't see why Long Islanders whine so much..

According to Forbes, the NYC area was in the top 10 best places for jobs, and most of the other Top 10 places were "dull" and not so amusing places; mostly mid-size cities..

Yes, there are high property taxes (especially in Nassau) and a high cost of living, but some other areas got some major major problems that Long Island can't even compare with.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:32 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times
haha - San Diego is the second coming, ultimate dream place for many to live in one thread and a gang overrun wasteland in another.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:28 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
The reality of the situation is that there really aren't that many places in the country doing better than Long Island, economically speaking. So I don't see why Long Islanders whine so much..

According to Forbes, the NYC area was in the top 10 best places for jobs, and most of the other Top 10 places were "dull" and not so amusing places; mostly mid-size cities..

Yes, there are high property taxes (especially in Nassau) and a high cost of living, but some other areas got some major major problems that Long Island can't even compare with.
NYC and Long Island are 2 different things.... and we tend to use the NYC argument if we have no valid points, its kind of a fall guy

Also "dull" and "not so amusing" is very very subjective and moreover its the last thing on the mind of someone who is getting by on a paycheck-to-paycheck basis regardless of where they live.... maybe if they move they might find amusement ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island