Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 05:28 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times

Advertisements

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Why not try to join SCPD or NCPD? A lot of $$$ in that if you get in. You'll be out of your pops home in no time and live anywhere you want after a few years.

Suffolk County Police Dept (http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/recruitment.htm - broken link)

Nassau County Police Department

SALARY
Starting salary $42,000* annually. After five (5) years of service, the base salary is $108,608*
*Under 2010 labor agreement

Quote:
BENEFITS
Full salary and benefits during entire training period.

Night shift payments.

All uniforms and equipment are supplied by the Department.

Yearly uniform cleaning allotment

Paid family dental, optical and medical plans.

Thirteen (13) paid holidays.

Fifteen (15) paid vacation days first year of service, increasing to twenty-seven (27) days after five (5) years of service

Thirteen (13) sick days first year of service, increasing to twenty-six (26) days after the first three (3) years of service; Unused sick days are cumulative
Three (3) paid personal days first year of service, increasing to five (5) days after three (3) years of service.

*Non-contributory pension plan. Members are eligible for retirement after twenty (20) years of service at 50% of three (3) year final average salary. Vested retirement plan after five (5) years.
(*Non –contributory pension plan subject to change as per New York State Pension Plan)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 05:50 PM

51 posts, read 107,985 times
Seems there are a lot of nice people here coming up with some good links to opportunities.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:57 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Please come to Massapequa...you will be welcomed here with open arms.
Did you mean, small arms ?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 AM

29 posts, read 54,718 times
Honestly though I have lived on Long Island for 15 years and it does seem like ppl have gotten worse/harder to deal with/meaner in the past couple years then 10 years ago. No one else thinks so? ppl have always been selfish but its seems like now ppl have a more upfront out in the open "dont give a Moderator cut: language removed attitude.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-22-2011 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: link removed.. soliciting not allowed

Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident14 View Post
Honestly though I have lived on Long Island for 15 years and it does seem like ppl have gotten worse/harder to deal with/meaner in the past couple years then 10 years ago. No one else thinks so? ppl have always been selfish but its seems like now ppl have a more upfront out in the open "dont give a attitude.

It seems to me that in general (and I mean very generally, because everyone is different), there has been a decline in civility everywhere over the last three years or so. I chalk that up to hard times. Humans are essentially animals, and when animals have to compete for scarce resources, they turn on each other. It's a survival thing.

Likewise, there are idiots everywhere. You're going to run into racism, bigotry, prejudice, and hate wherever you go, because some people are just morons through and through.

However, having lived in a few parts of the country that are very different from each other (here, D.C., Hawaii), and having spent time in nearly 30 U.S. states (and I don't mean layovers), I can say that I do sense the racism here more than I have in other places. Not all other places, but many. After living in the D.C. area, where it is incredibly diverse and the average workplace is a mixing-bowl of race and ethnicity, I do see the self-segregation on Long Island. I suspect anywhere with long-established suburbs might be that way. Those who have lived here their whole lives may not really see it, but once you've lived in an area like D.C., you can't miss it where it exists, and you seek out diversity for yourself. Fortunately, I've found it as my apartment complex is a jumble of people.

Newer suburbs (the outgrowth in Virginia and Maryland), not so much--the racial and ethnic diversity you see in the professional realm is often reflected in neighborhoods. Not always, but often. As with so much in this world, the lines are drawn by money. It's just that in areas like that, there is diversity in who makes the money, too.

But to show you how it's all relative, my sister moved back here from Florida. One of her top three reasons for returning is that she couldn't stand the racial tension down there.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-22-2011 at 03:04 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 11:44 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
You say you lost 2 good jobs in 6 months...you seem to blame everyone and everything but yourself. I'm not saying you haven't had misfortunes, everyone has. But,,,,,,,,,,,it can't be 'everyone' elses fault all the time. Think about it. You blame everyone else for all your problems, including your own father.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:36 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
While I feel sympathy for him, I also am slightly annoyed by him blaming everyone else and pulling out the race card. Not everything is based in racism and unfortunately since NY is a "right to work state" so no valid excuse is necessary to fire an employee here. Does racism exist? Yes it does, it exists everywhere - not just on Long Island as some people like to believe. As Yzette stated, there are many places were racial tensions make Long Island seem tame in comparison. California and Florida in particular have big problems with racial tensions.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:04 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
While I feel sympathy for him, I also am slightly annoyed by him blaming everyone else and pulling out the race card. Not everything is based in racism and unfortunately since NY is a "right to work state" so no valid excuse is necessary to fire an employee here. Does racism exist? Yes it does, it exists everywhere - not just on Long Island as some people like to believe. As Yzette stated, there are many places were racial tensions make Long Island seem tame in comparison. California and Florida in particular have big problems with racial tensions.
Exactly!

Old 05-22-2011, 02:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,623 times
Default To StevenOnealAustin, wherever you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident14 View Post
Honestly though I have lived on Long Island for 15 years and it does seem like ppl have gotten worse/harder to deal with/meaner in the past couple years then 10 years ago. No one else thinks so? ppl have always been selfish but its seems like now ppl have a more upfront out in the open "dont give a ****" attitude.
res14-

I have lived on Long Island over four times longer than you have, and I can agree with you in some manner about the changing attitudes in people.
Over this period of time, where in the world have you seen things getting better? I see more division among people over money and economic status
than I do over race or skin color because people take it for granted that a man cannot change his race or the color of his skin, but we have come to
understand that, and if a person is inclined to be racially discriminate toward a particular segment of the population, there are limits within the law that
serve to level the playing field by neutralizing the more overt acts of discrimination, with an emphasis on employment, housing and opportunity. If it were
me, I'd much rather be black in 2011 than black in 1960 where there were fewer avenues of recourse for the struggler who worked to overcome a more
distinct division between the races. It was simply a black and white issue back then. Today, we have a wider range of targets for our prejudice, we've got
Hispanics, Arabs, Asians, native Americans, even a fair share of refugee eastern Europeans who have settled among us, as we all nibble upon the figurative,
"economic pie", that must sustain us. If America has not worked to increase the resources for the good and the welfare of the people, while at the same time,
allowing the influx of immigrants, why would not the division among the people become expectedly greater?

Clearly, I can see and understand your frustration, but I can also identify traces of bitterness within your issue, that really don't deserve to be the focus
of your unhappiness, namely, the racial thing. Having been to your video, your youtube channel, hopefully getting a better handle on you, I do see what in my
perception, is the key to your real frustration. I watched and listened to your few posted videos and although it was apparent that you do have a level of talent,
I sensed that you just might be unable to gracefully accept the reality, that your productions have not yielded the results which you expected them to. Perhaps
even your initial posting, the video of your plight to find a patron to support you, to help lift and carry you to financial or geographic happiness, would serve as a
fit example of the fact that you've grown tired of going unnoticed among your peers, mislabeling your unhappiness, as racially seated, scapegoating your personal
failures on a societal problem that will never be overcome.

When I visited your youtube channel, I subscribed to you. I did this because I wanted to give you a figurative "shot in the arm", a vote of confidence, mostly,
an "A" for effort, but if I were a judge on America's best videos, you wouldn't be going to Hollywood anytime soon. You gotta lose your text-to-speech software,
buy a decent microphone, tone down the reverb on your audio mixing box, borrow someone's video camera and start producing credible video or you'll never get out
of Riverhead. I mean, if you want to be a rapper, be a rapper but don't make your recordings with an overdubbed British robovoice, effectually becoming a duet which
probably sounds to most listeners, like singing beggars in a subway tunnel, while train announcements are being broadcast over a loudspeaker. If it is in your heart for
you to be an entertainer, strive to be the best at what you do. Sharpen up your skills, practice your technique, be all that you can be, but don't expect undue praise
for your efforts, the pool of competition out there is awesome and mediocrity leaves one, lying in the dust of personal defeat. Take a deeper look at the root of your
unhappiness and if there is any aspect of that unhappiness that you CAN affect, do it, but come to understand, that there are things about this world that you will
never be able to change, maybe just downloading and reciting the Serenity prayer a few times, you'll get a better understanding of the real meaning of, acceptance.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:19 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Oh please you fools..the guy says he was in a pizzeria in rocky point...hes trolling and you are all answering him. Ive yet to see a black guy in rp and there is no pizzeria there with hispanics behind the counter.

The op snagged a lot of fish here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island