Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:52 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,658,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
When we looked in PW, we looked in Salem too. I LOVED Salem. New Salem was also nice, that is the section with all the splits. The section by Guilford have no basements and was less expensive. They did put a few new homes up there however.

Additional info... there is a landfill directly behind the Salem area that had some "problems". I personally was not comfortable with that.
I love that you know where every landfill and/or contaminated location on LI is. You would think more of us would be as diligent. I think b/c of this, you're going to end up moving to Shelter Island...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:58 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,112,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I love that you know where every landfill and/or contaminated location on LI is. You would think more of us would be as diligent. I think b/c of this, you're going to end up moving to Shelter Island...
Sometimes I wish I did not know. You know, ignorance is bliss.

I actually came across it by accident on the net when we were house hunting in PW. That was when I started to do more research about these things, never knowing they could exist in our backyards and us not even know it (landfills, Low Income Housing, HUD developments, Shelters, etc).

Why how is Shelter Island, lol? I would have to research that...

Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
It’s not that much the schools (they were great) but the wave of illegel Mestizos getting over and dragging them down just like the NYC schools(These people dont use birth control and usually have 4-6 kids each) from the Soundview, Manorhaven up there. 1/2 the grade school kids under 8 are Hispanic. Half of them can’t speak English and they are disorderly and time consuming for the teachers.

-Joe
I have to vouch for this too. Take a ride down to Manorhaven and it is a world of a difference from the rest of the town. So yes, those children would all be attending the same school. Having worked in a school myself, I agree 100% with what JoeL said. Some people even send their children to the private school up the road due to this.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I have to vouch for this too. Take a ride down to Manorhaven and it is a world of a difference from the rest of the town. So yes, those children would all be attending the same school. Having worked in a school myself, I agree 100% with what JoeL said. Some people even send their children to the private school up the road due to this.
And I would say many of the Sands Point crowd is not sending the kids to public schools...further affecting the school vs. resident differences.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:19 PM

491 posts, read 829,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topflite View Post
Thank you for the very good posts. The information is helpful.

How does Port compare with Manhasset, Roslyn to Garden City?
I can tell you about Manhasset, I lived 3 blocks from the school. Compairing it to Port W it’s a bit safer then the port schools (less gang activity)
On the other hand it has some Spinny Hill students (Community Drive projects) students that have lots of problems, especially "hand problems" . There have been incidents of them going after girls, particularly young blonds. My friend’s daughter Kristen (15) was cornered in a bathroom by a student that should have been expelled several times.
Again the people in the "big office" shoved it under the carpet.

When the Great Neck Democrats got in office with all the Persian Hospital $$ they rezoned and dumped all the Spinny Hill and Lake View “Hip Hop riff-raff†from the Great Neck South school into Manhasset.
The Town of North Hempstead has really changed, real estate people will never disclose this BTW.
Personally I think your better off in Little Neck if you need the train line. Save your $$

-Joe

Old 09-11-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
On the other hand it has some Spinny Hill students (Community Drive projects) students that have lots of problems, especially "hand problems" . There have been incidents of them going after girls, particularly young blonds. My friend’s daughter Kristen (15) was cornered in a bathroom by a student that should have been expelled several times.
Again the people in the "big office" shoved it under the carpet.

When the Great Neck Democrats got in office with all the Persian Hospital $$ they rezoned and dumped all the Spinny Hill and Lake View “Hip Hop riff-raff” from the Great Neck South school into Manhasset.
The Town of North Hempstead has really changed, real estate people will never disclose this BTW.
Personally I think your better off in Little Neck if you need the train line. Save your $$

-Joe
I can vouch for this once again.

I know two sisters who live in Munsey Park Manhasset with their families. They told me stories of the kids from the Community Drive projects (across from NS hospital) causing trouble in the schools. They complained about this, how they pay 14,000 and up in taxes, for THIS to happen? I don't think much was done about it, as JoeL said, as these project areas are now zoned for the schools.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:

I know two sisters who live in Munsey Park Manhasset with their families. They told me stories of the kids from the Community Drive projects (across from NS hospital) causing trouble in the schools. They complained about this, how they pay 14,000 and up in taxes, for THIS to happen? I don't think much was done about it, as JoeL said, as these project areas are now zoned for the schools.
Sad. Maybe one day they'll blow those up. No place for that here.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:14 PM

491 posts, read 829,563 times
Quote:

Great Neck politicians and Persians bankrolling them now run the whole Town of North Hempstead.
They only care about themselves and want everybody who is not one of there own OUT. Education, safety and clean streets are only for THERE KIDS.

If you have a daughter I wouldnt recomend Manhasset HS, the Great Neck and Spinny Hill blacks will have there way with her and the school will do NOTHING
Part of the problem is the school has some greedy people "upstairs" in charge of taxpayer $$.

To make up for ...emm "black ink" they hire understaffed chicken sh*t "Barney Fife" security, that's afraid to report and prosecute black on white crime.
NOW add all the ex-hippy teachers promoting this "multicultural crap'ola" and all the farmed out bus services from Huntington Station
....Im sure you get the idea

-Joe

Old 09-11-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quoting myself here...forget to add something.

This same person who lives in Munsey park looked at PW, and told me about the projects there and that many of her friends who lived in PW only used the private schools. That was why she chose Munsey Park over PW, but sadly, the same thing came to her school shortly thereafter. The truth is though, these people make almost $300,000 and can afford to leave the public schools if need be. But it is the point that they pay their taxes and are very angry. Their children's educations are being disrupted and the children are being harassed by children who were not even zoned for the area and nothing is being done about it.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Quoting myself here...forget to add something.

This same person who lives in Munsey park looked at PW, and told me about the projects there and that many of her friends who lived in PW only used the private schools. That was why she chose Munsey Park over PW, but sadly, the same thing came to her school shortly thereafter. The truth is though, these people make almost $300,000 and can afford to leave the public schools if need be. But it is the point that they pay their taxes and are very angry. Their children's educations are being disrupted and the children are being harassed by children who were not even zoned for the area and nothing is being done about it.
Many on this board will disagree, but it's a real shame that this is going on. And this is why school districts as they are will NOT be abolished anytime soon. I am all for administrative and supply chain unions to get the best bang for the buck/economies of scale...seems like a no-brainer, but I'm also all local control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island