Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 AM

57,408 posts, read 26,310,785 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why the cab driver and his girl friend refused to testify before the grand jury, or cooperate with investigators. he could have very easily been killed.

This is the second incident of cops drinking and pulling a gun, what makes this worse is they arrested the cab driver and the police officers refused to take a blood test.

These types of incidents gives all cops a bad name and you really have to wonder about the supervision of NCPD. This is going to be yet another big lawsuit that the county will lose.

Cabbie Shot by Cops Cleared, Officers Eyed | Long Island Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,856,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't understand why the cab driver and his girl friend refused to testify before the grand jury,

Cabbie Shot by Cops Cleared, Officers Eyed | Long Island Press

Look at the last line of the story. Much lower burden of proof to collect in a civil suit than to get a conviction in a criminal case.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,333,846 times
The officers were both off duty though. I hope this isn't yet another civil hit the citizens of Nassau County have to pony up for.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,055,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The officers were both off duty though. I hope this isn't yet another civil hit the citizens of Nassau County have to pony up for.

They were off duty, true, but isn't Nassau County PD culpable for giving out of control thugs guns and badges, enabling their behavior?

Any money from a civil suit should come out of the officers pensions and pockets first before anywhere else.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:20 AM

I had to "pluralize" my status.

Too many "allegedly" drunken NCPD rock apes getting in trouble with guns these days.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 06-08-2011 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: bowing to pressure from NCPD fan club ... added "allegedly"

Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They were off duty, true, but isn't Nassau County PD culpable for giving out of control thugs guns and badges, enabling their behavior?
I would think it depends on how their record has been while working as NCPD officers. If they didn't get in trouble and have behaved well during their years of tenure then the County would have no reason to suspect they would be capable of this and would not be culpable? I don't know. All I know is litigants are always looking for the deepest pockets ...

Quote:
Any money from a civil suit should come out of the officers pensions and pockets first before anywhere else.
From your lips to God's ear ... since they weren't on duty we can only HOPE.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,958,430 times
Quote:

On of off duty doesn't really matter. The county,city or state depending where you work will indemnify you if you are acting in good fate ( very loose term) If they can assume you didn't, you're on your own

Examples:

If I was off duty and saw a robbery go down and I pulled out my weapon and shot at the robbery suspect and missed and hit an innocent by-stander..I wouldn't have to worry.

I'm off duty and get into an argument with my neighbor and decide to shoot him for no reason ......problem.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:51 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,055,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
On of off duty doesn't really matter. The county,city or state depending where you work will indemnify you if you are acting in good fate ( very loose term) If they can assume you didn't, you're on your own

Examples:

If I was off duty and saw a robbery go down and I pulled out my weapon and shot at the robbery suspect and missed and hit an innocent by-stander..I wouldn't have to worry.

I'm off duty and get into an argument with my neighbor and decide to shoot him for no reason ......problem.

Understood. Sounds like these guys have a problem.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,503,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I had to "pluralize" my status.

Too many drunken NCPD rock apes getting in trouble with guns these days.
How do you know they we're drunk?

Because the cabbies lawyer said so?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
How do you know they we're drunk?

Because the cabbies lawyer said so?
Because the media said so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island