Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:32 AM

6 posts, read 9,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Again how do you-know they were drunk?
Because the Suffolk DA said they were under the influence of alcohol. I'm pretty sure the DA sent investigators to the hospital where they learned from hospital personnel that the two cops involved in the shooting stunk of alcohol.

If these cops weren't drinking or drugging why did they refuse to take a test that would have cleared them of drinking or drugging?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 05:16 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Look at the last line of the story. Much lower burden of proof to collect in a civil suit than to get a conviction in a criminal case.
I guess the thinking is that if they lost the criminal case it would weaken the civil, still surprised that the girl friend didn't cooperate.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
On of off duty doesn't really matter. The county,city or state depending where you work will indemnify you if you are acting in good fate ( very loose term) If they can assume you didn't, you're on your own

Examples:

If I was off duty and saw a robbery go down and I pulled out my weapon and shot at the robbery suspect and missed and hit an innocent by-stander..I wouldn't have to worry.

I'm off duty and get into an argument with my neighbor and decide to shoot him for no reason ......problem.
I doubt if many policemen head out for a night on the town with their gun, what is the NCPD policy regarding drinking and carrying a gun.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:24 AM

324 posts, read 335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
still surprised that the girl friend didn't cooperate.
Not me! I can't blame her. If I found out it was dirty cops I was up against I wouldn't cooperate either for a couple of reasons. I wouldn't want to put myself in harm's way and I'd rather save it for the civil suit.

I wish Newsday would write a comprehensive article detailing the corruption and incompetence that has plagued the NCPD for the last 25 years. We need to show the tax payers what they are getting for a total annual cost of over $200,000 per cop!

Old 06-09-2011, 05:27 AM

324 posts, read 335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post
Because the Suffolk DA said they were under the influence of alcohol. I'm pretty sure the DA sent investigators to the hospital where they learned from hospital personnel that the two cops involved in the shooting stunk of alcohol.

If these cops weren't drinking or drugging why did they refuse to take a test that would have cleared them of drinking or drugging?
Bingo! These clowns refused to take a blood test. That says it all right there. The minute they declined the blood test they should have been reprimanded, if not worse (since they were driving as well).

Shame on the NCPD for breeding an environment of cowboyism and continuing to mishandle this case.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post

Since they just shot someone you would have thought the police would have forced a blood test, their refusal is a real eye opener. If you are pulled over for a possible DWI and refuse a blood/breath test you will be arrested, these cops shot someone and they arrest the cabbie.

I seemed to recall DA Rice ordering a blood test on a cop that was involved in an accident suspected of a DWI a few years ago. Overall the NCPD is a very professional workforce but a few individuals like this really give them a bad name, they should take stonger action and show that these cops are held to a higher standard.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Since they just shot someone you would have thought the police would have forced a blood test, their refusal is a real eye opener. If you are pulled over for a possible DWI and refuse a blood/breath test you will be arrested, these cops shot someone and they arrest the cabbie.

I seemed to recall DA Rice ordering a blood test on a cop that was involved in an accident suspected of a DWI a few years ago. Overall the NCPD is a very professional workforce but a few individuals like this really give them a bad name, they should take stonger action and show that these cops are held to a higher standard.
After 2 incidents like this the Feds should be getting involved in oversight of NCPD.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:08 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
The scandals just don't stop coming.

- the crime lab fiasco and coverup
- this incident (cabbie shooting and it's coverup)
- Det. Sgt. William Kaul being drunk on duty, driving under the influence, and causing an accident with injuries. Of course, in typical fashion, it was covered up until the DA got involved.

I believe enough is enough, disband the department and put it under the control of the Nassau County Sheriff, and make the sheriff an elected position to ensure public accountability.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:39 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,232 times
The feeding frenzy being whipped up by the usual cop-hating suspects on this board is actually becoming comical. And what makes it so funny is how ill-informed you folks are, how wild your imaginations are, how you pounce on media headlines to form your opinions, and especially how your anti -cop agenda colors absolutely everything that you post.

There is no sense in wasting time or energy in trying discuss the issues with a mob bearing pitchforks and torches. You're not interested in the facts nor in any view point other than your own. Besides, you're managing to do a great job of making yourselves look like fools without any help.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:42 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
The feeding frenzy being whipped up by the usual cop-hating suspects on this board is actually becoming comical. And what makes it so funny is how ill-informed you folks are, how wild your imaginations are and how your anti -cop agenda colors absolutely everything that you post.

There is no sense in wasting time or energy in trying discuss the issues with a mob bearing pitch forks and torches. You're not interested in the facts or in any view point other than your own. Besides, you're managing to do a great job of making yourselves look like fools without any help.
Yeah we made the incidents all up in our heads. All fiction.

Keep ranting grandpa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island