Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 04:09 AM

26 posts, read 41,132 times

Advertisements

My husband has a possible job opportunity in New York. We know we will have to downsize in order to make it work but after looking at some houses for sale not sure if even downsizing will make it doable.

Here is what I know....
My husbands office would be in Plainview but he would mostly travel around Metro New York area. We can live anywhere within 1 1/2 hours travel time of Plainview.

Our house now was $275,000 we have 3000 sq feet and 4 beds/3 baths. We can go down to 2000 sq feet and 3 bds 2 baths and I think the highest we could could afford is $300,000. (Maybe less depending on taxes.)

We have an 12 year old and pets. Good schools of course are priority. Can anyone suggest an area that meets any of this criteria or would we be crazy to move up that way?

Can anyone give me areas to look at? We would prefer to live and work in the same state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
You can definitely find a nice 3/2 for 300K or less east of Plainview. Heck my 4/2 was just appraised at 250K last week and its only 15 years old! Im about an hour or so east (Sound Beach). Taxes can be the killer...and that varies greatly from town to town.

Where are you moving from?

Old 06-15-2011, 06:26 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times
Monthly payments would be more objective. You can go up to double the cost of your regular every-day mortgage when you include the taxes around here.

1.5 hour commutes would not be fun.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 AM

13 posts, read 26,595 times
I've heard good things about North Bellmore.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:30 AM

We would be coming from Delaware...taxes are extremely low here. As for payment we would like to be $1600 to 2000 per month. I just don't want to move if it will put us in a bad situation. My husband will be travelling throughout the state so the commute will not always be 1 1/2 hours. Right now he drives that distance every day, it is the nature of his job regardless of where we live.

Thanks I will look at North Bellmore.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 AM

By the way...I have never done a forum before so if I'm doing something wrong let me know

Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
How much are you able to put down? Taxes average between $8K - $12K for an average 3/2 house. Your payment would be almost 1/2 taxes, which doesn't allow for much of a mortgage.

My suggestion is that you look further out east closer to alexei27.

BUT it is a long commute into NYC.

I drove daily from Rocky Point (1 town east of Sound Beach) to the Syosset/Plainview border for a year. My commute was just after the rush hour and even then, it took close to 45-50 minutes. This was 19 years ago, and I doubt it has gotten any better.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendy View Post
We would be coming from Delaware...taxes are extremely low here. As for payment we would like to be $1600 to 2000 per month. I just don't want to move if it will put us in a bad situation. My husband will be travelling throughout the state so the commute will not always be 1 1/2 hours. Right now he drives that distance every day, it is the nature of his job regardless of where we live.

At that price I'm afraid your not looking at a possibility unless you are ready to pay a significant portion of the mortgage. With monthly tax costs in or around $700-1000/mo alone, then include insurance and the actual mortgage your already overbudget. Also factor in that utility costs are some of the highest in the nation: electric, gas/oil, etc.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendy View Post

It sounds like this is another case of a cheapo Long Island employer sneakily offering compensation to an "out of stater" that, while it may look "high" elsewhere in the country, is actually not liveable on Long Island if the employee wants to buy a home rather than rent an apartment, has a family to support, and definitely needs to be in a good school district for the kids.

On that budget in Nassau or western Suffolk, I would say you could rent 1/2 of a 2-family house; probably 2 bedrooms -- one bedroom for you and husband, other for 12-year old. At lower end of your scale you'd be paying for your own heat and hot water besides other utilities (electric, etc.) and at higher end of your scale you'd either get an extra room and/or landlord would pay heat and hot water. Also, don't expect things like dishwashers, garbage disposals, etc., unless you want to rent in a luxury building (which would cost more than your current housing budget).

If you have your heart set on buying and that is truly the most you can afford, I would not move here UNLESS you wanted to downsize significantly and live in eastern Suffolk (far commute for your husband to Plainview and VERY far commute to all other parts of NYS that he may need to travel to).

Old 06-15-2011, 05:13 PM

257 posts, read 751,013 times
I think keeping it under 2000 monthly might be tight. I would maybe suggest Levittown though, there are a lot of homes under 300k, and it is very close to Plainview, and only about a 30-40 minute train ride to NYC. The schools are good there too; close to resturants/ shopping. check out mlsli.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island