Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:31 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
And that's why I laugh at those saying capitalism rewards effort. Nope, it rewards those staying in power. It's an Ouroboros eating its own tail...it'll forgo any sense of responsibility to the public if there's a buck to be made.
exactly my point. Nobody cares about anything in this country...except money. Period.
Me first!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 08:36 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Its ridiculous, they could have easily put a race track on that land.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar99 View Post
okay when my Parents moved here (Selden) in 1996 i Can Tell you
atleast 10 Houses were Not Here.

Now we have Condos were Everybody Used to Sleigh Ride (Bald Hill)
Today i got to say im really considering Moving with my uncule in NC

I was Watching Channel 18 Witch is The Town Board Channel
and they want to Put 400 somthing Condos were Island Green Driving Range is!!!

I watched about 2 hours of the Town Metting on TV Of course by this time its a Few weeks Old.
but anyway i couldin"t belive their were pepole acutally supporting this thing.

I mean more were opposed then for it but still i almost got killed twice on Middle country Road twice Last Year The Traffic is a Joke.
If its going to Close why not sell it to Sombody whos going to Keep it
as a Driving Range.

Why when Land is available First thing That Comes to Developers
is Houses/Condos They say to keep pepole here?
Why Not just cut the Taxes Down i mean I Don"t wana Live in New York
City many pepole don"t thats How Long Island was Establish
Pepole From The City Bought Summer Rentails
Because it was a Nice Rural Community
Now you can"t tell Queens and Long island Apart.

anyway Island Green is Right in the Middle Of were me and my Buddies
can Walk to its a Fun Place to Go in The Summer with other Friends
i Can Tell you me and my Friends are Not Paying Addmission
to Stare At Giant Condos

http://www.islandgreengolf.com/about-igg/
First off, Long Island was not established by city people. Later in this thread you claim to have a read a history book describing Selden as rural -- which is was at one point in time earlier in the 20th century. If you had delved a little further into the history of LI you would have found that many earlier settlers were Dutch; English settlers started coming over in droves during the civil war in England (mid 17th century). The Dutch weren't experiencing such strife and had fewer settlers arriving here. You will note the names of some east end communities which were carried over from England -- the English heavily settled the east end.

Meanwhile back in the Netherlands, everything was rather plum. Despite calls for aid from the Dutch settlers as well as their insistence that LI's waters and lands were truly worth having, the heads over in the Netherlands didn't rush to their aid. Richard Nicholls (leading the English Invasion) landed in Gravesend, declared Long Island English territory and within 2 weeks time had Peter Stuyvesant surrendering New Amsterdam.

The settlers weren't too thrilled to be paying taxes to either the Netherlands or England and following the above events, created an assembly consisting of Queens and Suffolk counties. 1898 Queens joins NYC and the eastern towns balk; Nassau County is formed. Brooklyn decided to join NYC in 1898, too; we see here the beginning of the City people denying they are part of LI.

Over the course of time, through the Revolutionary War, Civil War and into the early part of the 20th century, LI was home to farmers, ship builders, whalers and housed some factories and plants; it was also developing into a playground for the very wealthy following the industrial revolution and into the early 20th century. We also see -- largely following the Influenza Pandemic of 1918 -- the start of summer homes on LI, including the beach areas which where in the fledgling boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn.

We do see the start of the spread of Manhattan into the outer counties -- burials banned in Manhattan for fear of spreading disease, which is why we see so many cemeteries in Brooklyn and lining the LIE in Queens as we approach the East River. We see the spread of some housing into the new boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens. (I will note that on my husband's side, his family had farms in Queens into the earlier part of the 20th century -- after Queens decided to join NYC.)

Approximately 280 years after Nicholls (or Nicolls -- depends on the history book) claimed this area for England, we see the beginnings of suburbia when Levitt creates Levittown as housing for returning WWII GIs and their families. At that point more developers jumped on the bandwagon -- thousands of acres of farmland to be had for a song, modernized construction methods developed by Levitt, and families eager to get their children out of the dirty cities (Polio was surfacing) and out into the fresh air with yards and gardens and open space to play freely.

In other words, they were embracing the mid 20th century version of the American Dream.

You can not blame the city people entirely for the fact that Island Green is about to be housing.

Look at a commercial property the same way a farmer looks at his field. He knows that certain crops will return a greater yield per acre, and that some of those crops will bring him more money per acre. He wants to see the greatest return for his effort. The man who owns Island Green is not getting the best return for his money. He might be reaching a point in his life where perhaps he wants out of the business, but can't get the price he wants because the business is not as fruitful as other enterprises.

He isn't leveling fields, cutting down trees and displacing bambi or some rare newt. He is repurposing an already commercial property and has committed to preserving some of it as green space. I watched part of the hearing (came in late) and noted that the property abuts county greenspace; the land they will preserve will enhance that.

Another thing mentioned is workforce housing. It will help to keep local people local; retirees or young people just setting out. It is adjacent to a shopping center, which perhaps will mean a few less cars driving to the grocery store. It won't end car dependence, however.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Dude Im here a long assed time and Selden was never a "nice Rural community". I feel for you bud but youre about as dead center as you can get on LI.The last time Selden was rural, Queens was known for its farming. I do think you should fight that to the death....its a future slum but if you want to live out east, the line is at least Wm Floyd(maybe Riverhead) and has been for years.
Queens farming was long gone while farming was still taking place in Selden. Selden did see it's first city inhabitants some time shortly after the start of the Great Depression when a small summer community was built out there. It was in the vicinity of Evergreen Dr, south of Middle Country Rd -- near where the FD, CVS now stand. If anyone wondered why those properties are so small, it's because they were meant for summer homes.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallywed1 View Post
The good ol' days...you cant have your cake and eat it too. go back to the 1930's when it sounded nice, but be sure to leave behind your cell phone, internet, tv...and dont forget to trade your car for a horse...the good and the bad come together in a package.
You do realize that when Henry Ford started mass producing the Model T in 1912 that cars became much more affordable? Even if you look back to silent movies you see MANY cars. By 1930 Ford had already discontinued the Model T, had introduced his Lady - the Model A, and was in development to roll out the V8 series in 1932.

Even my one grandmother's family -- poor immigrants from Spain -- had a car in 1926 which they would use to drive out to the country (Wyandanch!) for picnics on the weekend.

Also -- TV broadcasts in NY first commenced in 1928; however regular broadcasts did not start until 1931.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Queens farming was long gone while farming was still taking place in Selden. Selden did see it's first city inhabitants some time shortly after the start of the Great Depression when a small summer community was built out there. It was in the vicinity of Evergreen Dr, south of Middle Country Rd -- near where the FD, CVS now stand. If anyone wondered why those properties are so small, it's because they were meant for summer homes.
I was kidding.

Great posts OBH.

Crooks

Old 06-19-2011, 01:57 PM

208 posts, read 492,266 times
Quote:
First off, Long Island was not established by city people. Later in this thread you claim to have a read a history book describing Selden as rural -- which is was at one point in time earlier in the 20th century. If you had delved a little further into the history of LI you would have found that many earlier settlers were Dutch; English settlers started coming over in droves during the civil war in England (mid 17th century). The Dutch weren't experiencing such strife and had fewer settlers arriving here. You will note the names of some east end communities which were carried over from England -- the English heavily settled the east end.

Meanwhile back in the Netherlands, everything was rather plum. Despite calls for aid from the Dutch settlers as well as their insistence that LI's waters and lands were truly worth having, the heads over in the Netherlands didn't rush to their aid. Richard Nicholls (leading the English Invasion) landed in Gravesend, declared Long Island English territory and within 2 weeks time had Peter Stuyvesant surrendering New Amsterdam.

The settlers weren't too thrilled to be paying taxes to either the Netherlands or England and following the above events, created an assembly consisting of Queens and Suffolk counties. 1898 Queens joins NYC and the eastern towns balk; Nassau County is formed. Brooklyn decided to join NYC in 1898, too; we see here the beginning of the City people denying they are part of LI.

Over the course of time, through the Revolutionary War, Civil War and into the early part of the 20th century, LI was home to farmers, ship builders, whalers and housed some factories and plants; it was also developing into a playground for the very wealthy following the industrial revolution and into the early 20th century. We also see -- largely following the Influenza Pandemic of 1918 -- the start of summer homes on LI, including the beach areas which where in the fledgling boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn.

We do see the start of the spread of Manhattan into the outer counties -- burials banned in Manhattan for fear of spreading disease, which is why we see so many cemeteries in Brooklyn and lining the LIE in Queens as we approach the East River. We see the spread of some housing into the new boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens. (I will note that on my husband's side, his family had farms in Queens into the earlier part of the 20th century -- after Queens decided to join NYC.)

Approximately 280 years after Nicholls (or Nicolls -- depends on the history book) claimed this area for England, we see the beginnings of suburbia when Levitt creates Levittown as housing for returning WWII GIs and their families. At that point more developers jumped on the bandwagon -- thousands of acres of farmland to be had for a song, modernized construction methods developed by Levitt, and families eager to get their children out of the dirty cities (Polio was surfacing) and out into the fresh air with yards and gardens and open space to play freely.

In other words, they were embracing the mid 20th century version of the American Dream.

You can not blame the city people entirely for the fact that Island Green is about to be housing.

Look at a commercial property the same way a farmer looks at his field. He knows that certain crops will return a greater yield per acre, and that some of those crops will bring him more money per acre. He wants to see the greatest return for his effort. The man who owns Island Green is not getting the best return for his money. He might be reaching a point in his life where perhaps he wants out of the business, but can't get the price he wants because the business is not as fruitful as other enterprises.

He isn't leveling fields, cutting down trees and displacing bambi or some rare newt. He is repurposing an already commercial property and has committed to preserving some of it as green space. I watched part of the hearing (came in late) and noted that the property abuts county greenspace; the land they will preserve will enhance that.

Another thing mentioned is workforce housing. It will help to keep local people local; retirees or young people just setting out. It is adjacent to a shopping center, which perhaps will mean a few less cars driving to the grocery store. It won't end car dependence, however.

Whats he preserving a 1/4 Acre WOW!
You still have Stare at Hundreds of Giant Condos

and anyway all that Quote un-quote Preserved Land is Way in the Back
You won"t be able to see it anyway

Old 06-19-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Whats he preserving a 1/4 Acre WOW!
You still have Stare at Hundreds of Giant Condos

and anyway all that Quote un-quote Preserved Land is Way in the Back
You won"t be able to see it anyway
Had you paid any attention, it is more than 1/4 acre being dedicated to green space. Also, he didn't have to preserve anything as the property is already developed commercial land. If you don't like that -- go buy the land.

If you can't afford the land, form a grass roots organization and go out and protest it. Anonymous grousing and rancor on an internet board won't be of any significance. The local civics have given it the thumbs up; the meeting was 5/24. At this point in time it is probably fait accompli.

Do you own your own house on LI? If not, can you afford to? This project will set aside a portion of the housing as affordable for young people and retirees. What are you doing to help?

You spew a good deal of vitriol, complain about what you don't like, but I don't see where you are doing anything to promote your vision.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:16 PM

208 posts, read 492,266 times
Quote:
Had you paid any attention, it is more than 1/4 acre being dedicated to green space. Also, he didn't have to preserve anything as the property is already developed commercial land. If you don't like that -- go buy the land.

If you can't afford the land, form a grass roots organization and go out and protest it. Anonymous grousing and rancor on an internet board won't be of any significance. The local civics have given it the thumbs up; the meeting was 5/24. At this point in time it is probably fait accompli.

Do you own your own house on LI? If not, can you afford to? This project will set aside a portion of the housing as affordable for young people and retirees. What are you doing to help?

You spew a good deal of vitriol, complain about what you don't like, but I don't see where you are doing anything to promote your vision.

First off Nobody Retires and Moves to Long Island
and Most who Live here Retire and Move to Florida
Why Don"t They Lower Housing Prices Of Current Homes
insteed of Dumping 200 Or What ever it is Dosin"t that make More Sense?

And if you Say its Zoned commercial Why In the Hell are they Putting
residential units in Their

Old 06-20-2011, 06:58 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
First off Nobody Retires and Moves to Long Island
and Most who Live here Retire and Move to Florida
Why Don"t They Lower Housing Prices Of Current Homes
insteed of Dumping 200 Or What ever it is Dosin"t that make More Sense?

And if you Say its Zoned commercial Why In the Hell are they Putting
residential units in Their
LOL. Who should lower these prices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island