Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 06:28 PM

158 posts, read 379,615 times

Advertisements

Car chase ends in fatal Bohemia crash

I do not understand jeopardizing innocent people's lives to chase down a petty thief. This happens too often in a time when technology can assist to track the car safely, for example: StarChase - How It Works - Overview

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:42 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,699,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsuggestion View Post

I do not understand jeopardizing innocent people's lives to chase down a petty thief. This happens too often in a time when technology can assist to track the car safely, for example: StarChase - How It Works - Overview

Matt
Cant believe Newsday actually got the geography right on this one....
This is definately bohemia... thought for sure they'd say sayville since all the stores over there call it their sayville store (babies r us, bed bath and beyond, borders, etc)

Old 06-28-2011, 06:42 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsuggestion View Post

Matt

It wasn't a petty thief, the suspect committed grand larceny.

Either way the poor people in the Subaru got screwed on the deal. The facts of the case aren't completely clear so I'm not quite ready to indict the Sheriffs for being overzealous, although I'm sure if you go over the LI Politics SCPD will be skewering them and saying "see, give us our highway jobs back".

Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,699,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It wasn't a petty thief, the suspect committed grand larceny.

Either way the poor people in the Subaru got screwed on the deal. The facts of the case aren't completely clear so I'm not quite ready to indict the Sheriffs for being overzealous, although I'm sure if you go over the LI Politics SCPD will be skewering them and saying "see, give us our highway jobs back".
I believe that this has nothing to do with whether SCPD or Sheriff was patrolling the highway. Even before the swap out on Sunrise and the LIE, the Sheriff's dept always had a patrol division and had RMPs out all the time as they were/are responsible for county buildings and SCCC buildings. A sheriff could have still seen the car wanted and initiated a traffic stop and the ensuing pursuit would have gone on anyways. They didn't "gain" police powers when the got the LIE and Sunrise, they always had them.

This could have been MTA police, State Troopers, Park Police, SUNY police, village constable, etc.. or any other police dept that initiated this stop with possibly the same ending.

And by the way, grand larceny is a felony I believe, so expect upgraded charges to include something for the death of the Subaru passenger

Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 AM

398 posts, read 837,921 times
I heard a similar story from last year when some guys walked into the Huntington mall and did a mid day robbery of Tourneau by sledge hammering the cases and snatching up watches. They fled in a get a way car and during the police chase, SCPD actually backed off because the speeds had escalated so much through a residential area. The thief’s got away, nobody got hurt. I'm sure SCPD is taught to use their judgment in these situations, although it must be a tough decision when adrenaline is pumping when you're chasing down a criminal.

P.S. it would be nice if people posted links to website that I didn't need to be a subscriber to read the entire story. A better method might be to reference the source and copy and paste (if that's allowed?)

Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
I heard a similar story from last year when some guys walked into the Huntington mall and did a mid day robbery of Tourneau by sledge hammering the cases and snatching up watches. They fled in a get a way car and during the police chase, SCPD actually backed off because the speeds had escalated so much through a residential area. The thief’s got away, nobody got hurt. I'm sure SCPD is taught to use their judgment in these situations, although it must be a tough decision when adrenaline is pumping when you're chasing down a criminal.

P.S. it would be nice if people posted links to website that I didn't need to be a subscriber to read the entire story. A better method might be to reference the source and copy and paste (if that's allowed?)

Yup, it's a tough decision. Nobody wants a criminal to get away but to what lengths do you go to catch a thief?
Police chases are a problem all over the country. I'm amazed nobody has come up with a better solution than chasing the perp at high speeds. We do have access to technology; I heard they can photograph a golf ball from space.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
I believe that this has nothing to do with whether SCPD or Sheriff was patrolling the highway. Even before the swap out on Sunrise and the LIE, the Sheriff's dept always had a patrol division and had RMPs out all the time as they were/are responsible for county buildings and SCCC buildings. A sheriff could have still seen the car wanted and initiated a traffic stop and the ensuing pursuit would have gone on anyways. They didn't "gain" police powers when the got the LIE and Sunrise, they always had them.

This could have been MTA police, State Troopers, Park Police, SUNY police, village constable, etc.. or any other police dept that initiated this stop with possibly the same ending.

And by the way, grand larceny is a felony I believe, so expect upgraded charges to include something for the death of the Subaru passenger
Agreed entirely, Suffolk County Sheriff's deputies have had full police officer powers and have been arresting people since we were still one of the Thirteen Colonies. IIRC the first Suffolk County Sheriff's deputies were appointed in the late 1600s.

BTW: Schwartz Report claims that the accident was actually caused by an SCPD detective in an unmarked car who forced the suspects off of Sunrise and onto the Sunrise service road, and that the deputy sheriff's were observing the car from a distance rather than being in hot pursuit.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

BTW: Schwartz Report claims that the accident was actually caused by an SCPD detective in an unmarked car who forced the suspects off of Sunrise and onto the Sunrise service road, and that the deputy sheriff's were observing the car from a distance rather than being in hot pursuit.

LOL, Now that's a credible source.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:05 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
LOL, Now that's a credible source.
Normally I would say the same thing but they even mentioned a name and a shield # before it was edited.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:38 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
It's funny how certain people here try to pretend that actual cops don't post on Shcwartz. The fakes sure have their cop lingo down for a bunch of wannabes or trolls trying to make cops look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island