Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 12:49 PM

32 posts, read 125,158 times

Advertisements

hello i am moving to work in roslyn, ny for a 6 month assignment and wanted to know which are some good areas to live in. i would love to live in nyc but i know that since i am moving only for 6 months it could be a problem getting an apartment. i am also willing to live in a 2 bedroom apartment if someone could sublet.

another option is to live somewhere near to work and i have no idea which areas to start looking for. i am married but not kids and will be moving by myself. husband works and studies in dc so i will also be commuting almost every weekend to dc.

i looking for a cheap apartment (according to ny standards) and a studio or 1 bedroom would be fine.
any suggestions? which option would work out better?

if i do get something in manhattan would it be a very bad commute?
or if i live somewhere near work does it make more sense to get a car as its not very well connected by metro..
some area suggestions would be helpful.. thanks

i had posted this in nyc forum but moving it here..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 01:51 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,707,690 times
Id live in NYC and commute by Long Island Rail Road from Penn Station to Roslyn if that is possible. You can also take Amtrak out of Penn to DC to visit hubby.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:05 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
You need to be aware that Roslyn is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address (3,496 acres) are not in the community (381 acres):

Places that have a "Roslyn, NY 11576" mailing address that are not in the Village of Roslyn are in the Village of Roslyn Harbor, the Village of East Hills, the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights, the Village of Roslyn Estates, the Hamlet of Searingtown, the Village of North Hills, the Village of Flower Hill and the Village of Old Westbury; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Roslyn with a "Roslyn Heights, NY 11577" mailing address.

Also, complicating the matter even more, the "Roslyn, NY 11576" ZIP Code postal zone is a bifurcated postal zone, with two noncontiguous areas separated by the "Roslyn Heights, NY 11577", the "Albertson, NY 11507" and the "Manhasset, NY 11030" ZIP Code postal zones.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) your work is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 07-09-2011, 01:30 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,131,897 times
I would recommend either Woodside, Queens or Mineola, Nassau. They are both walkable places (you wouldn't need a car for day-to-day activities), and they are both along the Oyster Bay Branch which serves Roslyn.

Which one you pick depends on whether you place more priority on commuting to work or traveling to DC. Woodside is closer to Manhattan (just take the LIRR one stop to Penn Station. On the weekends, a CityTicket will cost $3.75), but further from Roslyn.

Mineola is further from Manhattan, but is much closer to Roslyn (only a 10 minute train ride). There is also the N23 bus if your job is located on Willis Avenue.

Manhattan is very expensive, so I would recommend moving further out unless you plan on paying $2,000 per month for a studio.

I believe you posted this on Yahoo! Answers and I gave the same response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island