Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 09:06 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeventhBrady View Post
Joe L,I live in PW, and love it here. I go to the supermarket in that center all the time. I'll admit that I don't often go to Burger King (I don't like the food, and thankfully my kids don't, either), but the times I've been there it's been just fine. Sure, the people who work there are hispanic, but the managers speak English and I would think that at least some of the other employees possess at least enough understanding to do their jobs. I mean, these are fast-food industry jobs, not positions requiring much education or English skills, for that matter. And I have never seen the kind of people you've described anywhere in this town. But I probably don't look that closely at them, either, so that could be why. Anyway, as far as missing teeth or fingers, they probably lost fingers from the only kind of jobs they are able to get -- manual labor -- and can't afford dental care because they work these jobs. Of course, there's not much else they can do with their limited educations and language skills. But I have a feeling that most of them are doing this so that their children might do better. And still others might not share these aspirations, and are just plain trash, no matter where they might live. Just like other people.

I'm sorry about your mom. I've never heard about violent purse-snatchings like that here, and it's a damn shame that happened. I take it your mom lives in Manorhaven or Manhasset Isle?

I can't stand kids running around in restaurants, fast-food or otherwise. My children know that they must remain at the table, and they do. And I have to say that there are loads of white kids here whose mothers are far too busy yakking it up on their cell phones to pay attention to their kids, while their kids run around much the same. Some watch them do this, thinking it's cute. I taught my children form a young age that they are absolutely NOT allowed to stand up in their seat, no matter what the other children are doing. I can't begin to tell you how these mothers allow their kids to not only stand on their seats (in any given restaurant with bench/banquet seating), but let them walk back and forth on them, disturbing others. Or constantly kicking their heels against the bottom of their booth bench -- I always remind my kids that other people are sitting behind them and will feel the vibration and not enjoy their meals, as they deserve to (kids tend to do this swinging of the feet thing unconsciously. Still, why don't others pay attention and tell their kids the same). Also, if my children's voices get too loud, I remind them that people didn't come to hear them, but to enjoy a nice meal.

Oh, and by the way, Joe L, I'm not from Great Neck, but I am Jewish. And I came from Brooklyn for the same reasons pretty much everyone else came -- to escape from crap. So stop your stereotyping. I could say a lot about what I'm pretty sure you are, but there's a whole thread about that (about getoffourisland.com) -- and if you read it, you'll see that I didn't feel all that good about it. But then again, I'm fairly intelligent. I must be. I'm Jewish, lol!

I always thought Port Washington and Great Neck were always really nice areas?

Has it changed that much 7brady ..you sound like youre happy there.

C

Old 08-16-2007, 10:50 AM

127 posts, read 521,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
I always thought Port Washington and Great Neck were always really nice areas?

Has it changed that much 7brady ..you sound like youre happy there.

C
As far as Great Neck, I've heard again and again from countless people (most of them Jewish, like me), that unless you are Iranian (and the majority of Iranians in GN are also Jewish, although not all) living in Great Neck these days is not what it used to be. I am sure, though, they are not talking about a criminal element, but rather a cultural one that seems to exclude everyone else, including non-Iranian Jewish residents. The main beefs I've heard have to do with the building of monstrous stucco abominations passing as houses, and their abrupt manner of speaking and dealing with people.

I do like Port Washington, but honestly haven't been here long enough to have witnessed the change many have spoken of. We've only been here 12 years. Those who grew up here often talk longingly of a place that had a bit more open space and less traffic. Still, I find that parking (to go shopping, for example) along Main Street to be rather easy. Easier during the week, to be sure, but far from impossible on weekends, even close to your destination. Try finding a spot on Plandome Rd. in Manhasset that easily, or much, much worse -- on Middle Neck Road in Great Neck any day of the week.

Of course, as far as open space is concerned, the ones remembering this are going back quite a bit. Many of the "newer" neighborhoods started construction in the late 1950s. One, though, called Soundview, was still building in the 70s, so I guess that's where much of it comes from (for the record, I don't care much for development-type neighborhoods like Soundview). And of course, there's been the usual knocking down of older homes on often smaller-than-average lots, to build over-the-top (for their surroundings) spec homes. Some of these homes were not completed in time to take advantage of an insane market, and still sit there unoccupied, for more than a year and some closer to two. Quite a few are on heavily travelled streets, as well.

We had a very limited budget when we were looking, but it was during a time when people would actually consider 10 percent down, which is all we had. We were shown a number of areas. Among them were Manorhaven and Manhasset Isle. They looked and felt too much like Brooklyn (two-family homes, houses too close together, old men in wife-beaters and their wives in housedresses...pretty much the kind of mentality I was aiming to leave behind.)

The house we ultimately bought was a total wreck. I think the people who owned it hadn't cleaned it in decades, or if they had, cleaned it with grease, hair and nicotine. It was original everything, except for the "improvements" they put in -- if you consider paneling, grasscloth, flocked wallpaper, shag rugs in every unimaginable color and embossed vinyl flooring an improvement. (Note: As a Brady Bunch devotee, I should actually be drawn to that stuff, shouldn't I? Hmmm. Maybe that's one of the the reasons I gravitated to this, the fugliest house we'd seen.) But the neighborhood was everything I had hoped suburbia would be, and it still is. Great neighbors, from all walks of life. They run the gamut in professions: Firefighters, police officers, engineers, people in finance, sales, publishing, lawyers, nurses, college professors, teachers, and even a doctor or two. Different ethnic and religious groups, as well (the usual Catholic, Protestant and Jewish (Italian, Irish, western and eastern European), but also among other ethnic groups, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, South American, Cuban, and African American. Houses generally sell in the $700s; some more, some less. It depends on size. If you're wondering how someone on a fireman's or policeman's salary can afford to buy here, some bought when the market was low, and still others bought from their parents, who sold their homes to them for less than market price.

I really like my neighbors (except for one or two; there is always a couple of kooks in a neighborhood), and hope to stay here for a long, long time. However, with rising taxes, we will probably find ourselves in the same boat as many.

Last edited by TheSeventhBrady; 08-16-2007 at 11:03 AM..

Old 08-16-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeventhBrady View Post
As far as Great Neck, I've heard again and again from countless people (most of them Jewish, like me), that unless you are Iranian (and the majority of Iranians in GN are also Jewish, although not all) living in Great Neck these days is not what it used to be. I am sure, though, they are not talking about a criminal element, but rather a cultural one that seems to exclude everyone else, including non-Iranian Jewish residents. The main beefs I've heard have to do with the building of monstrous stucco abominations passing as houses, and their abrupt manner of speaking and dealing with people.

I do like Port Washington, but honestly haven't been here long enough to have witnessed the change many have spoken of. We've only been here 12 years. Those who grew up here often talk longingly of a place that had a bit more open space and less traffic. Still, I find that parking (to go shopping, for example) along Main Street to be rather easy. Easier during the week, to be sure, but far from impossible on weekends, even close to your destination. Try finding a spot on Plandome Rd. in Manhasset that easily, or much, much worse -- on Middle Neck Road in Great Neck any day of the week.

Of course, as far as open space is concerned, the ones remembering this are going back quite a bit. Many of the "newer" neighborhoods started construction in the late 1950s. One, though, called Soundview, was still building in the 70s, so I guess that's where much of it comes from (for the record, I don't care much for development-type neighborhoods like Soundview). And of course, there's been the usual knocking down of older homes on often smaller-than-average lots, to build over-the-top (for their surroundings) spec homes. Some of these homes were not completed in time to take advantage of an insane market, and still sit there unoccupied, for more than a year and some closer to two. Quite a few are on heavily travelled streets, as well.

We had a very limited budget when we were looking, but it was during a time when people would actually consider 10 percent down, which is all we had. We were shown a number of areas. Among them were Manorhaven and Manhasset Isle. They looked and felt too much like Brooklyn (two-family homes, houses too close together, old men in wife-beaters and their wives in housedresses...pretty much the kind of mentality I was aiming to leave behind.)

The house we ultimately bought was a total wreck. I think the people who owned it hadn't cleaned it in decades, or if they had, cleaned it with grease, urine and nicotine. But the neighborhood was everything I had hoped suburbia would be, and it still is. Great neighbors, from all walks of life. They run the gamut in professions: Firefighters, police officers, engineers, people in finance, sales, publishing, lawyers, nurses, college professors, teachers, and even a doctor or two. Different ethnic and religious groups, as well (the usual Catholic, Protestant and Jewish (Italian, Irish, western and eastern European), but also among other ethnic groups, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, South American, Cuban, and African American. Houses generally sell in the $700s; some more, some less. It depends on size. If you're wondering how someone on a fireman's or policeman's salary can afford to buy here, some bought when the market was low, and still others bought from their parents, who sold their homes to them for less than market price.

I really like my neighbors (except for one or two; there is always a couple of kooks in a neighborhood), and hope to stay here for a long, long time. However, with rising taxes, we will probably find ourselves in the same boat as many.

As long as its safe and youre happy thats all that matters.

Long Island will continue to urbanize.

Robert Moses was very very wrong.

Best

C

Old 08-16-2007, 01:55 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Rockypointny:

The graduation statistics are for the 2005-2006 school year published by Newsday on May 20, 2007.

The Median home values came from City Data for 2005. I must have misread - checked at $304,000, I stand corrected. Go to MSLI and see what is available - many older summer cottages probably bring down the overall value, but you have to remember that Rocky Point is so far from anything. Very few higher income earners employed in NYC are willing to make the commute. Also, Miller Place and Mount Sinai have much better schools than Rocky Point and are more middle class and upper-middle class. Rocky Point and Sound Beach have always had a reputation for being somewhat low and trashy.

The Town of Brookhaven (Crookhaven) in which Rocky Point resides has been riddled with scandals and corruption for years. This fact must have some impact on the housing market there. Property taxes are high because the politicians have been robbing the residents blind.

My Last Point: The Influx of large numbers of Mexicans and Central Americans into the Brookhaven Township. This influx will eventually be felt in all the school districts out there in a few years. Expect more ESL class rooms, bilingual education, more free breakfasts and free lunches served, more security guards and ultimately metal detectors.

The following areas are changing or are going to change for the worse in Brookhaven: Farmingville, Medford, East Patchogue, North Bellport, Patchogue, Shirley, Mastic, Selden, Centereach, Ridge, Middle Island, Port Jefferson Station, Coram, Yaphank, and Ronkonkoma. Just look at the school district statistics, especially some of the elementary schools, and you will see the percentage of Hispanics (Mezticos/Mulattoes) has skyrocketed. Check Patchogue-Medford, William Floyd, Longwood, Middle Country, South Country, and Comsewogue. This wave will flood into Sachem at some point and Rocky Point at some point - both areas have many affordable older homes that unscrupulous people will turn into multi-unit illegal rentals.

First off theres obviously no talking to you about this subject. Is Mount Sinai a better school district than Rocky Point? yes I think it probably is somewhat better. But as for Miller Place you obviously have no first- hand knowledge because it is nowhere near better than Rocky Point. We know many people who are disgusted with Miller Place schools both parents and teachers who work there. I am not even going to address your remark about Rocky Point being trashy because it is simply a pig-headed and ignorant remark from someone who is unfamiliar with the area. Listen, all the young professionals are moving here because they can't afford the taxes and Mcmansions in MP and MS. In a few years it's likely the median income in Rocky Point will rise with this new influx of people. It is also not all bungalows, take a drive down Westchester Drive one day. Sooo trashy phhh.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
First off theres obviously no talking to you about this subject. Is Mount Sinai a better school district than Rocky Point? yes I think it probably is somewhat better. But as for Miller Place you obviously have no first- hand knowledge because it is nowhere near better than Rocky Point. We know many people who are disgusted with Miller Place schools both parents and teachers who work there. I am not even going to address your remark about Rocky Point being trashy because it is simply a pig-headed and ignorant remark from someone who is unfamiliar with the area. Listen, all the young professionals are moving here because they can't afford the taxes and Mcmansions in MP and MS. In a few years it's likely the median income in Rocky Point will rise with this new influx of people. It is also not allbungalows, take a drive down Westchester Drive one day. Sooo trashy phhh.
Westchester....try Soundview.

Theres guy at the end of the road who turned his 900 sf bungalow into a 4500sf palace on the Sound.
(I think he left one wall up of the bungalow to beat the taxes so it wouldnt be considered "New Constrution"...smart.)
Last of the affordable Gold Coast I guess.
Its a Bungalow blowout party in North Shore Beach.
Get em while you can.

Except for you Nbres.... please stay in North Babylon.

Go Point!

C

Old 08-16-2007, 02:43 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Westchester....try Soundview.

Theres guy at the end of the road who turned his 900 sf bungalow into a 4500sf palace on the Sound.
(I think he left one wall up of the bungalow to beat the taxes so it wouldnt be considered "New Constrution"...smart.)
Last of the affordable Gold Coast I guess.
Its a Bungalow blowout party in North Shore Beach.
Get em while you can.

Except for you Nbres.... please stay in North Babylon.

Go Point!

C
Clamboy thats the house my grandmother grew up in. If you're referring to the white cape that became the gorgeous stone-front mansion. My Grandma could have bought it from her father for 6k in 1959, how sick is that? One day me and a friend took a walk down there and saw it had been demolished. I called my grandmother right away and even though she's a little sad about it, she is very impressed with the finished product. If you want real Rocky Point nostalgia talk to her, she came here in 1945 and her father built many of the bungalows in the early days. She worked at Tilda's Bakery when it first opened in 1955 and Tilda herself taught her how to drive.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
Clamboy thats the house my grandmother grew up in. If you're referring to the white cape that became the gorgeous stone-front mansion. My Grandma could have bought it from her father for 6k in 1959, how sick is that? One day me and a friend took a walk down there and saw it had been demolished. I called my grandmother right away and even though she's a little sad about it, she is very impressed with the finished product. If you want real Rocky Point nostalgia talk to her, she came here in 1945 and her father built many of the bungalows in the early days. She worked at Tilda's Bakery when it first opened in 1955 and Tilda herself taught her how to drive.
You shouldve bought it of Grandma....what a view.
The new house is magnicficent.

She worked at Tildas that is awesome.
This is a pretty great town.
Really deep rooted.
Im gonna miss it when we go to CT.

All the best

C

Old 08-16-2007, 06:11 PM

259 posts, read 939,229 times
Quote:
The main beefs I've heard have to do with the building of monstrous stucco abominations passing as houses,
Hey Buddy those newer Crap houses that are being built by those Asians and Middle Easterners in place of those older crap houses are not made of Stucco! They are made of Styrofoam! If you don't believe me go up and punch a hole or hit a baseball at one of them! Remember the old saying: People who live in Glass houses show not throw stones? Well Persians who live in Styrofoam houses should not throw stones either!

Or how bout this one; remember the Three little pigs? And how the first two unknowledgeable pigs got rooked on the straw and wood houses? Well all I have to say is, those Iranians are not taking over anything! Their homes will be washed away with the Rising water tables due to the Greenhouse effect!

Last edited by Dee62; 08-16-2007 at 06:24 PM..

Old 08-16-2007, 06:17 PM

127 posts, read 521,298 times
You're right; I know they're made of styrofoam -- I really should have said that instead of stucco. Real stucco is the result of craftsmanship. Faux stucco is just styrofoam panels covered by thin mesh, with a composite material blown onto them. They dent. Stucco doesn't.

Imagine, living one's life in a fancy disposable coffee cup...

Old 08-16-2007, 08:40 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times
Make mine a dunkin donuts styrofoam cup please! ha ha only kidding! Yo know news 12 is doing that thing on illegals in America, last night they covered the story of a 9 year old child illegal here, she said you would never get the education that she is receiving whee she is from, and she knows she is not here legally but her closing comment was "sometimes you just have to do what you have to do" That comment infuriated me it is so nasty to see that these parents are teaching these children to be little sponges! Nice Attitude, forget it these schools are going to be ruined quicker than thought.:m ad:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island