Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:23 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Of course those people who want it to pass are going to downplay the increase. It's in their business' interests. We should not be subsidizing that.

And sadly, most of the people who are saying "Vote yes!" are just Islander fans. So, it passes and the taxes go up and the new coliseum gets built. Will that fill the seats? No. Will that make the Islanders a team people want to pay to go see? No. Will that keep Wang from jacking up ticket prices anyway? No.

No thanks. There's no REAL benefit to this project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:31 AM

25 posts, read 34,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
Why are some people on this forum saying property taxes are going to increase $40 yet the NY times is saying

"Although the finance authority said it expected property taxes to rise 3.5 percent to 4 percent if the county issues $400 million in bonds, Michael Picker, senior vice president of the Islanders, said it would be a reasonable price to pay to keep the team; its lease expires in 2015."

That to me is $350-400 on top of my property tax. What am I missing here? $40 no problem $350-400 there is some serious explaining to do.

It's 3.5 to 4% of property tax (not school tax)..amounts to about 80 to me. But they did say "average household"

Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 AM

25 posts, read 34,648 times
I don't think it's all about the Islanders. I do think Wang has been using the Islanders to get this done since he bought the team. He has no interest in hockey, zero hockey knowledge (Yashin 10 years, DP 15 years, Milbury GM) and those who view him as a hero for keeping the team here are dilusional.

Wang is dangling the carrot of the team leaving LI if this doesn't get approved. The best thing that can happen is it gets shot down and someone else comes along. I doubt Wang would keep the team once he realizes this isn't going to go down...much less move it. It's all a ploy.

Wang had investors ready to go all in on the Lighthouse but wanted too much control of the property. Kate Murray is an idiot but she can't foot all the blame for not giving this land shark what he's wanted all along, which is full control of the area.

Today's vote means diddly to those who support this. No way it passes legislation. No way the Islanders leave. No way there is no arena in Uniondale.

And above all, no way our taxes don't increase. That's inevitable and if anyone here thinks there's a vote to prevent that, well, head to the polls.

Wang must go. Vote NO. It's the only vote that will count. It'll make it that much easier for legislature to knock this down. Nice of Wang to pay for the vote today IF IT PASSES. What a joke.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandAintThatBad View Post
It's 3.5 to 4% of property tax (not school tax)..amounts to about 80 to me. But they did say "average household"
OK your right about that I was taking the total bill. Still I don't agree b/c we get nothing out of this deal. It's a private business deal that should not involve home owners. And why home owners? We have nothing to do with this at all. If they can't come up with the money then there is no deal. These guys have this McMansion syndrome all over again. Overly ambitious and under funded. They need to sell the team if they can't make it on LI this is what normal folks do.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
And sadly, most of the people who are saying "Vote yes!" are just Islander fans. So, it passes and the taxes go up and the new coliseum gets built. Will that fill the seats? No. Will that make the Islanders a team people want to pay to go see? No. Will that keep Wang from jacking up ticket prices anyway? No.

No thanks. There's no REAL benefit to this project.
Taxes will go up regardless.

I am voting yes and I cant remember the last time I actually went to the Colisseum (probably in 2005 for a concert?). I dont even LIKE the Islanders or Hockey in general.
I am voting yes because by voting No, I think the County will be in a worse position.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post

I am voting yes and I cant remember the last time I actually went to the Colisseum (probably in 2005 for a concert?). I dont even LIKE the Islanders or Hockey in general.
I am voting yes because by voting No, I think the County will be in a worse position.
I think the county will have to sell the property to private developers who would probably use their own money to fund their projects. Hell they need to start pitching this 77 acres to other business who have the funds to things with it.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:

I know, these people just don't realize that not spending money is WORSE than spending money wildly.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
What I find as an example of the fuzzy math that proponents use to sell to voters is this (from the Times article):
Quote:
The team and outside experts project attendance at the Coliseum to rise by about a third even as tickets prices increase. The Islanders make the assumption that they will host six playoff games a year, though the team has made the playoffs just four times since 1994.
Where, besides thin air, would that assumption come from?

I go to Islander games and 3/4 of the seats are sold to opposing team fans. Why? Because Islander seats sell at huge discounts on Stubhub (that's where I buy them) which means that it's cheaper for fans to drive hundreds of miles and get Islander seats than to buy in their own venue. Raising ticket prices will lower attendance.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva

I don't see how the facts point to this conclusion. The assessment of the property value is $3B while this is a $400M project.

If the vote is passed, the County owes $400M more that must be financed. If all the rosy assumptions come true, the County earns 11% of sales. If the rosy predictions are overblown, then the taxpayers still have the debt but insufficient revenue to finance it.

The alternative is to have a development of the $3B property that is now taxed as a $3B property, not a $400M property. In addition, the taxpayers take no risk. That will bring in $150 million/year in property taxes. Seems like a no-brainer, the alternative plan is better for taxpayers.

The reason the politicians are pushing it so hard is because there are large pay-offs involved.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:19 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,665,649 times
Quote:

Why do you think the county will be in a worse position?

If the Islanders move you are only freeing up 41 events at the Coliseum - 11% of the total available. Isn't it probable the majority of them will be re-scheduled with non-Islander events?
The Islanders as a business isn't even that large - $60 mill in revenue and 70 full-time employees. I don't want them to leave but Nassau should not be bending over backwards.

Vote NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island