Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
Well, he wasn't there. His good lady wife, however....sounds like she got all up in the cops face and he didn't back down.

I have to wonder if the phrase "I pay your salary with my taxes" came out of either of these ladies mouths....
LOL...I can see her now with a can of Meister Braue in her hand and 90 pounds of belly rolls spouting off about how she pays their salaries. I would have paid to see that.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:24 AM

330 posts, read 726,435 times
Two cops I see. Pat each other on the back fellas. Keep up the good work arresting reporters and ticketing people for using public parks.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Society has shown numerous times (for example, your performance in this thread) that left to their own devices, anarchy and idiocy are inevitable.
So, of course, your way being the right way, you feel it's your job to impose your values on everyone else. You're the righteous upstanding citizen just looking out for everyone.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Two cops I see. Pat each other on the back fellas. Keep up the good work arresting reporters and ticketing people for using public parks.

The reporter thing was out of line. Your situation, however, is a clear case of breaking the rules and getting uppity with the cops.

Funny thing is, I was originally going to ask if the curfew was clearly posted where your wife and her friend could see them, but the overly hostile way you've presented the case and yourself makes me not care. Every post you make convinces me more and more there's more going on here than you want to admit.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post

See? Everyone who disagrees must be a cop. How many people have to disagree with you before you wonder if you are in fact in the wrong and not the rest of society? What's the actual number that will lead to this revelation?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Dare I jump into this thread?

Things to consider:

1. I don't know what the rules for NJ beaches are, but on LI, pretty much all public beaches close at sunset, if not earlier. So Dave, your wife should have known that. I see where yes, it's draconian not to be allowed to just sit on the shore and look at the stars, but legally, the issue here is whether they broke a law, and it sounds like they did.

2. NEVER ask a cop to not do what the cop says he or she is going to do, or ask him or her to grant you any favors. That is asking him or her to break the law for you, something that when you get right down to it, the cop is forbidden to do. In your wife's situation, a sincere apology would go a lot further than taking any stands. "I'm so sorry. We didn't know. I understand." Then shut up. The point is to avoid conflict, not create it. If you seem reasonable, the cop may be reasonable. If you seem unreasonable or defiant, forget it.

3. Yes, on the surface, it does appear unreasonable that the cop would be so hard-chargin' in the first place. Perhaps I'd make a lousy cop, but in that situation, I'd have just approached, pointed out that it's against the law to be on the beach that late, and asked the women to leave. If they seemed befuddled, I'd explain why the law is what it is--to keep mayhem off the beach. I mean, think about it: The shore and possibly wind are loud and will muffle cries for help, and sand and surf are good at destroying evidence. It's just not smart for two women to sit out there alone at that hour.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
The point is to avoid conflict, not create it. If you seem reasonable, the cop may be reasonable. If you seem unreasonable or defiant, forget it.

This is the best advice you're going to get on this thread.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
What's the actual number that will lead to this revelation?

The number is very high. The fact is regardless of laws it's not wrong to be on the beach at night and any POS cop who enforces a law like that is a bad person, plain and simple.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
aren't you the same person who also wants free beach access during the day? LOL

Old 08-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
aren't you the same person who also wants free beach access during the day? LOL
I find it hard to believe that so many people can't even imagine simply being able to go to the beach at any time without having to pay or be harassed by police. Is that really so outrageous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island