Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Police on LI over paid
yea 26 57.78%
nay 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:01 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,232 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: personal attack.

Why do you think they aren't attracting anyone to NYPD? It's the money. The people you want to be cops simply won't take the job in NYC because the pay is too low. It's not that LI cops make too much, it's that NYC cops don't make enough. And since LI cops are forced to live (by law) in the NYC metro area, they have to be paid enough to be live here.

Your stuff is getting pretty old. How about beating another dead horse somewhere else.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-13-2007 at 07:27 AM..

Old 09-13-2007, 08:08 AM

105 posts, read 496,416 times
It does seem to me that NYC police are underpaid, rather than Long Island police overpaid.

A Boston Globe article earlier this year was titled 'Police take home city's biggest paychecks'. In part, it says:

"Police in Boston were by far the city's top earners last year, with 25 Police Department employees earning more than $200,000, nearly four times the number who made that amount in 2005, according to city payroll figures released to the Globe.

The full article is here
Police take home city's biggest paychecks - The Boston Globe

In contrast, the 'average' salary for a police officer in the Boston suburb in which we live is about $65,000. Now, it does so happen that ours is one of the four most upscale, white, low-crime areas surrounding Boston. We don't have the kind of issues that exist in, for instance, Somerville -- which not only is a much different kind of area but has had its own issues with policing, in fact they recently had to do a major overhaul of the police force's contracts including putting in 2 years of retroactive pay increases. I'm not sure what the new average salaries will be in Somerville but the officers there certainly deserve considerably more than they were getting.

However, that doesn't mean that the only thing our town's police ever have to worry about is pulling people over for traffic tickets. If their average salary were the same as Boston PD's you would not hear me complaining about it.

Last edited by Keeper; 12-07-2007 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: copyrighted material

Old 09-13-2007, 08:22 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
What people have to figure out is what kind of police force that they want, what do they want it to do, how much is it worth to them as taxpayers to get it and tell their local officials.

What the police have to do is stop with the "you don't know what it's like to be a cop" comeback and instead educate civilians on what it is to be a cop and show why they should be paid a certain amount. The average civilian has little contact with the police and if they do it's usually watching him direct traffic or handing out a ticket.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:57 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Moderator cut: quote
I think 65k would get it done on LI.

This gravy trains gotta stop.

C

Last edited by Keeper; 12-07-2007 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-13-2007, 09:05 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman529 View Post
They are overpaid. NYPD deals with a lot more than them, and are paid significantly less. NYPD should be paid as much or SCPD should be paid less.
Having just retired from law enforcement (30 years) I can tell you that the NYPD is underpaid. Bottom line when a union negotiates a contract and ultimately goes to an arbitor, what he takes into consideration is surrounding department salaries and the localities ability to pay.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Moderator cut: personal attack.

Why do you think they aren't attracting anyone to NYPD? It's the money. The people you want to be cops simply won't take the job in NYC because the pay is too low. It's not that LI cops make too much, it's that NYC cops don't make enough. And since LI cops are forced to live (by law) in the NYC metro area, they have to be paid enough to be live here.

Your stuff is getting pretty old. How about beating another dead horse somewhere else.
Why are you atacking me....attack free market capitalism if youre P.O.'d

65k is pretty damn good for a GED these days.

Besides...you'll have that bumped past 100k with overtime and patronage.
You guys know how to work the system....hell you created it.

Nothing personal Officer....we just want to be able to live here too.

C

Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,232 times
It is what it is. Get over it. Move on. Conversation over.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
It is what it is. Get over it. Move on. Conversation over.
I didnt dredge this thread back up.

Youre still trying to convince us that you guys are worth the premium.

I do appreciate all that you do Officer....but I know we could do it for far less.

Peace
C

Old 09-13-2007, 01:16 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Just linking to this paper on one persons look at Police Stress that was written by a civilian whose at the time fiance was joining the force.

Now I will say that I never noticed any bad coping behaviors or stress in my dad when he was on the job (20+ years NYPD 1960's thru the 70's). While he did have cop friends most of his socializing was done with the neighborhood dads and at the KofC hall which may be why he never got the us vs them mentality when off duty. Then again it could be because of the time he was on the job and that walking a beat for a few years rather than riding in a patrol car kept him in touch with the community and not just fellow POs.

Police Stress: Learning Through Experience, Research and Observation San Jose State University Department of Anthropology (http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:HF8ZRf00mmcJ:www.focusanthro.org/archive/2003-2004/Cook.pdf+police+officers+life+span+20+years+shorte r&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us&client=firefox-a - broken link)

Old 09-13-2007, 01:50 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Having just retired from law enforcement (30 years) I can tell you that the NYPD is underpaid. Bottom line when a union negotiates a contract and ultimately goes to an arbitor, what he takes into consideration is surrounding department salaries and the localities ability to pay.
I know of village police forces who's contract calls for parity with Suffolk County. They do nothing but write parking tickets and get paid the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island