Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Police on LI over paid
yea 26 57.78%
nay 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 12:13 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Bottom line, Clamboy, is that you're not qualified to judge how much cops should be paid unless and until you're done their job. It is what it is. Get over it. Move on.

By the way, are you billing your clients for the endless hours you spend trolling this forum?
Im not judging anything.
Im just encouraging debate on the topic.

Why do you keep attacking me?
(What I do, dont do, earn etc...it's irrelevant)

Bottom line....taxpayers arent paying my salary.

Have you forgotten who you work for officer?
I tell ya youre doing a bang up job on PR right now.

I am speaking to the market, not you.

You really need to get over yourself...its not all about you,this is a healthy dialoge so please check your ego.

As for me not taking the test.I have other options to earn the same.
I did a little better education wise than just a Good Enough Diploma.
(Hooray for mediocrity)

I really have nothing else to say to you.

Good day sir

C

Old 08-15-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post
Coming late to this discussion, but I'd just like to say that to be honest I've never thought about LI cops' salaries on a comparison basis to those in other parts of NY or in other states for that matter.

All I do know is that cops do a job that is not only necessary but often dangerous. You couldn't pay me enough to make me agree to put my life on the line on a daily basis which is what cops do no matter where they are, and no matter what the crime stats are for their location. The fact is that many times they have no idea what kind of situation they may be walking into, and that can be as much the case in East Meadow as in East Harlem.

A good police force gives me peace of mind even if I may never actually have to call upon their services (I have had to do so only twice in my life so far, though luckily not in a life-threatening situation.... nevertheless I was grateful for their prompt professional response both times) and I don't in the least begrudge them a dime of their pay.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.
Point well taken.

Do you believe the job could be done for less?

C

Old 08-15-2007, 01:55 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Just wondering what you guys are expecting from your local LEOs?

Also what are the cops doing when they work OT? Down here if a cop wants to make some extra cash instead of billing the taxpayers the OT he can work security at concerts, sporting events or corporate HQs to name just a few. All while in full uniform and with his take home patrol car.

BTW One thing that I've learned living in the 'burbs is not to count on a cop being around when you're being assaulted, robbed or when a home invasion is going down. Not a slam on cops but just reality.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:35 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
If you've made the choice to stay on LI....at least fight to to save the place!

I want you sit up...and go to windows and yell: "Hell YES...they can do it for LESS!!!"

Old 08-15-2007, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Funny, Clamboy, but I haven't seen you bashing teachers in any of your postings. I don't understand why. School taxes account for 60% or more of your total tax bill and are generally 5 times more than your police taxes. And a senior teacher (20 years and Masters plus 30) can earn as much as a cop, with only a 9 month schedule. Why don't you bash them? Or does it hit too close to home?
I guess taxes are what make the Long Island teacher such a satisfying target. However, if it's the taxes you want to shake a fist at, contact your New York State legislator and ask why budget negotiations for The Empire State are closed to the public. The property tax issue stems from a lack of funding coming from Albany, which forces districts to subsidize by driving property taxes through the roof.

As a separate issue, there are a lot of factors--namely, the amount of education and training required for each position--that make drawing a comparison between the salaries of cops and teachers a bit like apples and oranges. Teachers here are required to have no less than a masters-level education. We're talking about a price tag of $90,000-$170,000 for the minimum level of undergraduate and graduate credits required to become certified for the long-term. If you're going to use the salary figure for a teacher with masters +30, let us, then, factor in an addictional $30,000-$50,000 in tuition that one needs to shell out to reach that place on the salary scale, not to mention the fact that we are comparing a teacher of 20 years to a rookie cop fresh out of police academy. If all the community's bitching and moaning doesn't serve to devalue the energy that MOST OF US devote to our jobs, discounting 2 decades of experience in determining a fair salary certainly does. My student loan payments are nearly $400/ month, and whether people want to accept it or not, we need to make enough money to afford the cost of living here just like everyone else. It's not fair for people to expect that teachers work through 6 exhausting years of higher education and jump through all the same hoops as everyone else to become a professional only to make a salary that fails provide the things most college graduates want from their futures: a house, a decent car, resources to support a family, and a vacation from time to time.

And of course, the cheapest insult of them all: we're actually 10-month employees. I may have summers off, but I get to work an hour early and stay an hour late everyday for one reason or another; I grade papers for 2 hours when I get home; I grade more papers, plan, create activity sheets and materials, make tests, and research topics I'm going to teach in the future for several hours on Sundays. Conscientious teachers work hard, and none of us are rolling in cash--just trying to survive under the crushing weight of our own mortgages and property taxes while we're attacked by the media and the community for corruption and laziness. I chose this job because I love kids, YOUR kids, so I'm not looking for a pat on the back. Just stop using teachers as your favorite whipping boy!

On the cop issue: they should be compensated well if only for the risks they take in performing the duties of their jobs. Unfortunately, Long Island police departments are rife with nepotism and various other brands of corruption, and I just sort wish I hadn't met so many cops that acted like total pricks without provocation or necessity.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:59 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Excellent point about teachers beram63. When my wife and I found out how often our kid's teachers were using their own money for classroom supplies we started donating with a company match to their classrooms. So far each of my kids' teachers have given 100% to my boys, the least I can do is support them back.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Just wondering what you guys are expecting from your local LEOs?

Also what are the cops doing when they work OT? Down here if a cop wants to make some extra cash instead of billing the taxpayers the OT he can work security at concerts, sporting events or corporate HQs to name just a few. All while in full uniform and with his take home patrol car.

BTW One thing that I've learned living in the 'burbs is not to count on a cop being around when you're being assaulted, robbed or when a home invasion is going down. Not a slam on cops but just reality.
Honestly...I think theyre very responsive.
My experience with the SCPD over the years has been very good.
I just wonder if we couldnt tighten the belt here.

My issue is really with the out of control spending habits of our Counties.

c

Old 08-15-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beram63 View Post
I guess taxes are what make the Long Island teacher such a satisfying target. However, if it's the taxes you want to shake a fist at, contact your New York State legislator and ask why budget negotiations for The Empire State are closed to the public. The property tax issue stems from a lack of funding coming from Albany, which forces districts to subsidize by driving property taxes through the roof.

As a separate issue, there are a lot of factors--namely, the amount of education and training required for each position--that make drawing a comparison between the salaries of cops and teachers a bit like apples and oranges. Teachers here are required to have no less than a masters-level education. We're talking about a price tag of $90,000-$170,000 for the minimum level of undergraduate and graduate credits required to become certified for the long-term. If you're going to use the salary figure for a teacher with masters +30, let us, then, factor in an addictional $30,000-$50,000 in tuition that one needs to shell out to reach that place on the salary scale, not to mention the fact that we are comparing a teacher of 20 years to a rookie cop fresh out of police academy. If all the community's bitching and moaning doesn't serve to devalue the energy that MOST OF US devote to our jobs, discounting 2 decades of experience in determining a fair salary certainly does. My student loan payments are nearly $400/ month, and whether people want to accept it or not, we need to make enough money to afford the cost of living here just like everyone else. It's not fair for people to expect that teachers work through 6 exhausting years of higher education and jump through all the same hoops as everyone else to become a professional only to make a salary that fails provide the things most college graduates want from their futures: a house, a decent car, resources to support a family, and a vacation from time to time.

And of course, the cheapest insult of them all: we're actually 10-month employees. I may have summers off, but I get to work an hour early and stay an hour late everyday for one reason or another; I grade papers for 2 hours when I get home; I grade more papers, plan, create activity sheets and materials, make tests, and research topics I'm going to teach in the future for several hours on Sundays. Conscientious teachers work hard, and none of us are rolling in cash--just trying to survive under the crushing weight of our own mortgages and property taxes while we're attacked by the media and the community for corruption and laziness. I chose this job because I love kids, YOUR kids, so I'm not looking for a pat on the back. Just stop using teachers as your favorite whipping boy!

On the cop issue: they should be compensated well if only for the risks they take in performing the duties of their jobs. Unfortunately, Long Island police departments are rife with nepotism and various other brands of corruption, and I just sort wish I hadn't met so many cops that acted like total pricks without provocation or necessity.
PLEASE PUT THIS ON THE TEACHER BOARD TOO SCROLL A LITTLE YOULL SEE IT...WE ASKED THE SAME QUESTION ABOUT COPS AND TEACHERS.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:52 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Default Could it be done cheaper?

Hell, EVERYTHING could be done cheaper, but would it be done right?
All lawyers could be replaced by paralegals, teachers could be replaced by assistants, cop recruits could be like NYC is getting due to their 25K starting salary (no longer disqualified due to an arrest record).
Negotiate down the pension and health insurance retirement benefits of all of the civil service union workers. That is the real killer on the taxpayers.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:06 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,880 times
More expensive does not always mean better.It is the people doing the job and how much they care about the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island