Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 AM

9 posts, read 22,164 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about relative crime in Selden and Farmingville NY? MLSLI.com shows the crime rate to be lower in Farmingville but someone that I spoke to told me that there is a bad area there. Does anyone know where that bad area is? I have been thinking of purchasing a home in either towns because the prices and taxes are lower than the north shore and the water tables are low there. Would these neighborhoods be as safe as let's say, Commack? How is it living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feemy17 View Post
Does anyone know about relative crime in Selden and Farmingville NY? MLSLI.com shows the crime rate to be lower in Farmingville but someone that I spoke to told me that there is a bad area there. Does anyone know where that bad area is? I have been thinking of purchasing a home in either towns because the prices and taxes are lower than the north shore and the water tables are low there. Would these neighborhoods be as safe as let's say, Commack? How is it living there?
Farmingville is viewed as being "worse" than Selden because of the number of illegal aliens hanging around. Statistically they are probably very similar.

Sachem schools are rated higher than Middle Country...another thing to consider. The last stats I saw Middle Country is only slightly above districts considered "bad".

NYS public school HS Standard rankings 2007 for comparison sake.

Sachem East: 117.8
Sachem North: 109.1
Longwood 103.2
Centereach 82.7
Central Islip 43

Old 08-09-2011, 10:22 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feemy17 View Post
MLSLI.com shows the crime rate to be lower in Farmingville ...

Is that the crime rate for the Hamlet of Farmingville or is that the crime rate for the "Farmingville, NY 11738" ZIP Code postal zone?

The Hamlet of Farmingville has a different border than does the "Farmingville, NY 11738" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Farmingville and a place can have other than a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Farmingville): places that have a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Farmingville are in the Hamlet of Centereach, the Hamlet of Selden, the Hamlet of Coram and the Hamlet of Holtsville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Farmingville with a "Centereach, NY 11720" and "Holtsville, NY 11742" mailing address.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:55 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Is that the crime rate for the Hamlet of Farmingville or is that the crime rate for the "Farmingville, NY 11738" ZIP Code postal zone?

The Hamlet of Farmingville has a different border than does the "Farmingville, NY 11738" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Farmingville and a place can have other than a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Farmingville): places that have a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Farmingville are in the Hamlet of Centereach, the Hamlet of Selden, the Hamlet of Coram and the Hamlet of Holtsville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Farmingville with a "Centereach, NY 11720" and "Holtsville, NY 11742" mailing address.

If you can break down that distinction then be my guest. Since SCPD cant figure out where they are sometimes, they will probably use zip code to figure out where they are like most people

Old 08-09-2011, 06:15 PM

90 posts, read 218,325 times
Selden in a few years will be another C.I or Brentwood. Middle country school dist has deteriorated in the pass 10 years.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:29 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Despite the Portion rd drama and bad press, I prefer Farmingville. I love the area by bald hill and Sachem schools are very good.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:36 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Despite the Portion rd drama and bad press, I prefer Farmingville. I love the area by bald hill and Sachem schools are very good.
oh Crooks, how your expectations have dropped... when I was defending Farmingville a couple of years ago on these boards, you'd reply with a simple link to the movie and bash the town:

Farmingville (2004) - IMDb

How times have changed! lol

The "better" area of Farmingville tends to be West of Nicolls (sidewalks / sewers), but I don't necessarily disagree with the area by Bald Hill as long as you're North of Portion.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
oh Crooks, how your expectations have dropped... when I was defending Farmingville a couple of years ago on these boards, you'd reply with a simple link to the movie and bash the town:

Farmingville (2004) - IMDb

How times have changed! lol

The "better" area of Farmingville tends to be West of Nicolls (sidewalks / sewers), but I don't necessarily disagree with the area by Bald Hill as long as you're North of Portion.

Its all true.

Ive come to have great faith in Sachem.
(And I really do like the area by Bald Hill.)

Farmingville just needs a PR makeover.

Crooks

Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Its all true.

Ive come to have great faith in Sachem.
(And I really do like the area by Bald Hill.)

Farmingville just needs a PR makeover.

Crooks
That Mobil that closed up across from the 7-11 (the infamous one) on Portion / N Ocean is an eye sore now... I hope they take care of that. Otherwise I tend to agree - but the sidewalks / sewers and Sachem West would probably have me steer a friend to consider the other side of Nicolls if they can afford it. Portion Rd is much nicer down towards that way, too.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
That Mobil that closed up across from the 7-11 (the infamous one) on Portion / N Ocean is an eye sore now... I hope they take care of that. Otherwise I tend to agree - but the sidewalks / sewers and Sachem West would probably have me steer a friend to consider the other side of Nicolls if they can afford it. Portion Rd is much nicer down towards that way, too.
It seems like much of it has shifted near LI Ave (Medford?)

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island