Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 02:51 PM

14 posts, read 127,331 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm coming to this forum to see if I can get some suggestions to deal with a problem which has been a source of stress for the past month. I've been living in a house in Nassau for the past 7 years and I've had the same neighbors accross the street for me. I live on a one way street that has one sidewalk which is on the side of my house and it is on that same side that cars park.
This summer now that my neighbor's kids are older (probably between 16-20) they park their car in front of my house which is fine but then they stay there with their friends and hang out in front my house for hours between 8:3) pm all the way to midnight! They even took it a step further by taking chair from their front porch and sat them on the sidewalk right in front of my house! The first time I saw that, that was too much for me, I saw red, but I calmly asked them to move and they actually argued that the side street doesn't belong to me but they moved anyway. This happened again many times and one time I got tired and called the cops in the middle of the afternoon. The cops came by only to tell me that that there was nothing they could do because the street belonged to the county. I was dumbfounded, I asked the officers if they have kids hanging in front of their house at all time of the day with chairs on the sidewalk to which they didn't have an answer. So I decided to speak to the parents of the kids about 3 weeks and the mother apologize but nothing has changed. As a matter of fact it got worse because an older kid (he's acutally over 21) that lives in the house next door is actually encouraging them and he's made it a point to came stay in front of my house from time to time. When I spoke to his mother a few days ago her reactions was to tell me that his son and his friends can hangout wherever they want and if I keep on calling the police am going to have a problems! I took this threat seriously and went over to the precinct right away to report this and I have a report number. The officer that took my complaint told me it was a shame the kids were not there right at that moment because he was going to send a patrol car there to resolve this situation.

So guys, what do i do at this point to get my peace back? I am tired of the disrespect and the intimidation or harassment (whichever you want to call it). I know there is no law against sitting on side walk or a bunch of teenagers standing on the street right in front of my house but that doesn't make it OK either. Suggestions anyone??? The cops told me that I just have to call everytime they are there in front of my house but the fact that they live across the street makes it tough. One cop suggested using sprinklers...I have an older mother that is intimidated by a group of kids in front the house when she comes back from work and I don't want her feeling that way.

All your suggestions will be greatly appreciated...by the way they have a tendency to be there everytime their car is parked in front of my house. They use that as an excuse and they think they own that spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,471 times
Turn on your lawn sprinkler and water the sidewalk constantly.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodcitizen09 View Post
Hi All,

I'm coming to this forum to see if I can get some suggestions to deal with a problem which has been a source of stress for the past month. I've been living in a house in Nassau for the past 7 years and I've had the same neighbors accross the street for me. I live on a one way street that has one sidewalk which is on the side of my house and it is on that same side that cars park.
This summer now that my neighbor's kids are older (probably between 16-20) they park their car in front of my house which is fine but then they stay there with their friends and hang out in front my house for hours between 8:3) pm all the way to midnight! They even took it a step further by taking chair from their front porch and sat them on the sidewalk right in front of my house! The first time I saw that, that was too much for me, I saw red, but I calmly asked them to move and they actually argued that the side street doesn't belong to me but they moved anyway. This happened again many times and one time I got tired and called the cops in the middle of the afternoon. The cops came by only to tell me that that there was nothing they could do because the street belonged to the county. I was dumbfounded, I asked the officers if they have kids hanging in front of their house at all time of the day with chairs on the sidewalk to which they didn't have an answer. So I decided to speak to the parents of the kids about 3 weeks and the mother apologize but nothing has changed. As a matter of fact it got worse because an older kid (he's acutally over 21) that lives in the house next door is actually encouraging them and he's made it a point to came stay in front of my house from time to time. When I spoke to his mother a few days ago her reactions was to tell me that his son and his friends can hangout wherever they want and if I keep on calling the police am going to have a problems! I took this threat seriously and went over to the precinct right away to report this and I have a report number. The officer that took my complaint told me it was a shame the kids were not there right at that moment because he was going to send a patrol car there to resolve this situation.

So guys, what do i do at this point to get my peace back? I am tired of the disrespect and the intimidation or harassment (whichever you want to call it). I know there is no law against sitting on side walk or a bunch of teenagers standing on the street right in front of my house but that doesn't make it OK either. Suggestions anyone??? The cops told me that I just have to call everytime they are there in front of my house but the fact that they live across the street makes it tough. One cop suggested using sprinklers...I have an older mother that is intimidated by a group of kids in front the house when she comes back from work and I don't want her feeling that way.

All your suggestions will be greatly appreciated...by the way they have a tendency to be there everytime their car is parked in front of my house. They use that as an excuse and they think they own that spot.
Park your car in front of the house during the hours that they like to loiter? Then maybe they will find a new "spot" to congregate?

If the cops cannot do anything, then why did they tell you to call everytime the kids are hanging out there?

Old 08-22-2011, 03:07 PM

I cannot park my car in front the house because by the time I get there after work, they are already there and a friend of mine told me that I have to be careful if I park my car in front the house because you never know what they will do to it considering that I have a driveway that I always use. I guess the cops that I spoke to when I drove to the precinct happen to be more reasonable. If those cops that I spoke to there were the same one that showed up at my house over a month ago then this issue would have been resolved quickly. They probably would have asked to take the party somewhere other then the front of my house. It seems like it depends on the officer that shows up and whether they want to use common sense!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:35 PM

22,667 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Put on the sprinklers. Install a security camera. If there's retaliation you'll have proof.

Put cones out in the road before you leave for work in the morning. They won't know it's you.

Not much else you can do.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,411,051 times
do they play loud music and are they very loud late at night? You should not have to put up with this BS. Personally IMO I feel the cops on LI are useless. When My husbands tailgate was stolen off of his truck that was parked in our driveway I called them and when the cop decided to get there a 1/2 hour later it was as if I was disturbing his coffee break. Why keep calling them everytime they loiter if they aren't going to do a thing? Makes no sense. The sprinkler Idea is a good one and security cameras. Why can't they hang out across the street on their own lawn or driveway??

Old 08-22-2011, 04:03 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,951 times
Love the sprinkler idea - as long as you have in ground sprinklers. Putting a sprinkler on the lawn will surely scream "play with me".

This happened to my dad years ago where teens were hanging out and sitting on his lawn. He proceeded to bury barbed wire in the grass along the curb. No more teens.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:04 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
do they play loud music and are they very loud late at night? You should not have to put up with this BS. Personally IMO I feel the cops on LI are useless. When My husbands tailgate was stolen off of his truck that was parked in our driveway I called them and when the cop decided to get there a 1/2 hour later it was as if I was disturbing his coffee break. Why keep calling them everytime they loiter if they aren't going to do a thing? Makes no sense. The sprinkler Idea is a good one and security cameras. Why can't they hang out across the street on their own lawn or driveway??
Did you honestly expect a cop to show up at your door within three minutes, red lights and siren, to take a theft report for your insurance company? Considering the magnitude of the crime, a half hour response is more than adequate. After all, you have no idea where the cop came from or what he was doing prior to getting your call.

And you really should appreciate the fact that a cop came to your house to take the report at all. In most urban/suburban policing jurisdictions, theft reports are filed by phone or computer.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:40 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,243 times
Sit on your porch with a shotgun.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have decided to park in front of my house tonight. I'm looking into purchasing a security camera system but I can't afford to spend too much money. Is their anything good out there for no more that $300? As far the in ground sprinkler, I don't think they will do it for me. I need a sprinkler that I can control that spills over the sidewalk without getting onto the street. I don't want people complaining that I am getting their car wet or that they can't get out of the passenger side when they park in front of my house. I just wish there was a law against standing in front of a house that is not yours for hours, that is creepy and intimidating. I tried calling a few lawyers and some of them said to go the police route because this could be a tough case and it will cost lots of money If I want to take this to court. One thing I know is that this is putting stress on my family and I don't appreciate teenagers f^#%ing with me. Keep the ideas coming...I don't even know if I need to respond to mess Kayfouroh but If you need to know I dont deal with guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island