Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,935 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of moving to Long Island, and looking at towns on both the North and South shore, as well as in the center of the Island. I was wandering if there is a principle difference between the two shores, as people tend to put a good deal of emphasis on what "shore" your house is on. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 03:43 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
There is an immense difference in both typography and demographic perception . This will be a huge thread as you will see.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:45 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Lived on both.

I prefer the North....but I grew up on the South.

They both have their own unique charm...but the Gold Coast is the North Shore

If youre into boating and beaches ...Id stay South.

Either shore is beautiful...but stay out of the Middle.

I prefer Suffolk to Nassau because of the density and taxes.

Good luck

C

Old 08-18-2007, 05:10 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,320 times
I've spent the past 35 years living on the South shore, but during that time I spent about 20 years (total) working on the North shore... so I've gotten a lot of experience of both.

I prefer not to get into the whole North Shore/South Shore socioeconomic debate, mainly because I know it'll be introduced anyway and then there'll be all sorts of stereotyping and huffiness and p*ssing contests that I'd just as soon stay out of.

On a strictly practical level, then:

The South Shore -- and when I use the word "shore" I mean "south of 27A and north of 25A" -- is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, by anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees, because of the moderating effect of the Great South Bay and the ocean just beyond. Sometimes the difference is even more, depending on how strong the wind off the bay is. In practical terms during the winter this often means the difference between precipitation falling as rain versus snow.

The soil is different. North shore tends toward heavy, often rocky, clay, mostly acid. South shore is lighter, sandier, more welldrained, tending toward neutral or alkaline.

Many areas on the North shore are notorious for poison ivy. Not saying the South Shore doesn't have it, but the North shore is more heavily wooded so of course there's more of it to get spread around by our feathered friends.

On the other hand, there are more salt marshes on the South shore, and we all know what salt marshes favor: Mosquitoes. Again, you'll find them on the North shore too but you don't hear of spraying AS often as you do near, say, Fire Island.

Topography: North Shore is hilly, rocky, beaches are often on bluffs and have lots of rocks. South Shore is flat, with sandy beaches.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post
I've spent the past 35 years living on the South shore, but during that time I spent about 20 years (total) working on the North shore... so I've gotten a lot of experience of both.

I prefer not to get into the whole North Shore/South Shore socioeconomic debate, mainly because I know it'll be introduced anyway and then there'll be all sorts of stereotyping and huffiness and p*ssing contests that I'd just as soon stay out of.

On a strictly practical level, then:

The South Shore -- and when I use the word "shore" I mean "south of 27A and north of 25A" -- is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, by anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees, because of the moderating effect of the Great South Bay and the ocean just beyond. Sometimes the difference is even more, depending on how strong the wind off the bay is. In practical terms during the winter this often means the difference between precipitation falling as rain versus snow.

The soil is different. North shore tends toward heavy, often rocky, clay, mostly acid. South shore is lighter, sandier, more welldrained, tending toward neutral or alkaline.

Many areas on the North shore are notorious for poison ivy. Not saying the South Shore doesn't have it, but the North shore is more heavily wooded so of course there's more of it to get spread around by our feathered friends.

On the other hand, there are more salt marshes on the South shore, and we all know what salt marshes favor: Mosquitoes. Again, you'll find them on the North shore too but you don't hear of spraying AS often as you do near, say, Fire Island.

Topography: North Shore is hilly, rocky, beaches are often on bluffs and have lots of rocks. South Shore is flat, with sandy beaches.
I agree.

Great descriptions.
Lets stay out of better.
Lets focus on differences.

Theyre both beautiful.

If I could live on the water....Id choose south (again boating beaches etc)

If I could live near the water(which I do) Id stay north...hilly rocky bluffs ...sounds just like Rocky Point : )
Beautiful views of CT and the sound.

Best

C

Old 08-18-2007, 05:28 PM

123 posts, read 647,238 times
The "center" of Nassau still has some decent towns--I'm assuming you mean towns that are more around Hemp. Tpke. It really depends on the feel you are looking for. The North Shore, in general, has a quieter, more New England feel, hilly, windy roads, trees, cute downtowns. Although there are some areas in Nassau Cty. NS with lots of traffic/congestion (Great Neck/Manhasset).

South Shore is a bit different, but has it's own charms. I think a major factor is commute. Even in Nassau, the further North you get, the worse the commute (except for Pt. Washington line). If commuting is a factor, make sure to look at double click for: Long Island Rail Road. If it's not, you've got a lot more options. Plenty of lovely towns with good school districts, bit more affordable. If I were going Suffolk, I'd definitely stay North.

But my husband and I prefer the North Shore in general. After I go back to work full time, if we stay on LI, (which I'd rather not) we want Sea Cliff, Glen Head or out to Northport or points east, commute be darned!

Old 08-18-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibrarian View Post
The "center" of Nassau still has some decent towns--I'm assuming you mean towns that are more around Hemp. Tpke. It really depends on the feel you are looking for. The North Shore, in general, has a quieter, more New England feel, hilly, windy roads, trees, cute downtowns. Although there are some areas in Nassau Cty. NS with lots of traffic/congestion (Great Neck/Manhasset).

South Shore is a bit different, but has it's own charms. I think a major factor is commute. Even in Nassau, the further North you get, the worse the commute (except for Pt. Washington line). If commuting is a factor, make sure to look at double click for: Long Island Rail Road. If it's not, you've got a lot more options. Plenty of lovely towns with good school districts, bit more affordable. If I were going Suffolk, I'd definitely stay North.

But my husband and I prefer the North Shore in general. After I go back to work full time, if we stay on LI, (which I'd rather not) we want Sea Cliff, Glen Head or out to Northport or points east, commute be darned!
As money gathers on the shorelines and migrant workers continue to squeeze the Middle Class out of their homes as they invade Central LI; the Middle of the Island will be a slum by 2020.

Look to California for evidence.

Note the foreshadowing.

C

Last edited by clamboy; 08-18-2007 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-19-2007, 05:46 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
I grew up on the North, lived for over 10 years on the south & bought our "last" house on the north. My Dad has also lived on the north shore(waterfront) for over 20 years after living most of his life on the south.
For me the biggest difference is the south shore generally makes it easier to get around. Many areas on the north shore like Northport where my Dad lives take a while to get to off the major roads. Most of the south has quick, easy access to Sunrise or the Southern Pkwy.
I love the small rocky beaches of the north shore & my family were boaters in the Sound for years, we loved it.
I personally missed the hills & winding roads when I lived on the south shore.
I think the north is prettier but it could be because it reminds me of my childhood.
I love the way the north shore has many historical little villages (south has some too)
My husband grew up in western nassau south shore & he always says he feels like he lives in the country.
As far as the class thing, the north shore has always been considered more prestigous, I don't think its really true or means anything though.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
I grew up on the North, lived for over 10 years on the south & bought our "last" house on the north. My Dad has also lived on the north shore(waterfront) for over 20 years after living most of his life on the south.
For me the biggest difference is the south shore generally makes it easier to get around. Many areas on the north shore like Northport where my Dad lives take a while to get to off the major roads. Most of the south has quick, easy access to Sunrise or the Southern Pkwy.
I love the small rocky beaches of the north shore & my family were boaters in the Sound for years, we loved it.
I personally missed the hills & winding roads when I lived on the south shore.
I think the north is prettier but it could be because it reminds me of my childhood.
I love the way the north shore has many historical little villages (south has some too)
My husband grew up in western nassau south shore & he always says he feels like he lives in the country.
As far as the class thing, the north shore has always been considered more prestigous, I don't think its really true or means anything though.

Agreed...good post

C

Old 08-19-2007, 08:42 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Nobody mentioned south shore-Seaford. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island