Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:40 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I don't know how to put it in PC terms, so i'll just put the question out there.

Why are there so many Autistics on Long Island? I've lived here 2 years, and I'm noticing it more and more; At malls, on forums, at games and events, restaurants, and even in traffic (bumper stickers). Is there a reason as to why there are so many on Long Island?

Is there something in the water? Something to do with the Nuclear power plant? Radiation from Radar testing across the LI Sound? Or could it be the great special ed programs? The great medical centers?

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not in anyway trying to be insensitive and offend anyone but I can't be the only one that thinks this. I'm sure there are some statistics that backs this up. Is there an autism heat map?? I am just curious as to why out of all places I've lived in the past, I encounter far more autistic people on Long Island than anywhere else.

Anyone?

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 10-08-2012 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 12:50 PM

147 posts, read 371,167 times
Just a guess, but i'd bet the combination of greater proportion of white collar/high paying jobs and high cost of living contributing to families having children at a later age increases the chances of children being born with learning disabilities. Statistically, you would have to compare the percentage of cases to other areas with a similar environment to prove any correlation. As for cancer cases, there is no settled science to explain the high rates on LI, but numerous stress factors probably contribute to it. I have my doubts its the water or electric lines as some people suggest.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
or it simply could be, as many in the medical field opine, an overdiagnosed disease.

Last edited by Gpsma; 09-06-2011 at 01:25 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 01:21 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I think it's because so many kids are now considered to be "on the spectrum". IT used to just be kids who sat in the corner and rocked back and forth, now it's a whole lot wider criteria to get diagnosed.

I also don't think just because you see a lot of bumper stickers or those car magnets, means that people in that car have someone in the family with it....those are often fundraising giveaways.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:51 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
or it simply could be, as many in the medical field opine, an overdiagnosed disease.
I would agree. And our solution is to just "drug" everyone up. Lets NOT find out why.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:56 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
or it could be there's a little more education and a little less ignorance in the world. One can only hope...

Old 09-06-2011, 02:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Hi guys. I don't know how to put it in PC terms, so i'll just my put the question out there.

Why are there so many Autistics on Long Island? I've lived here 2 years, and I'm noticing it more and more; At malls, on forums, at games and events, restaurants, and even in traffic (bumper stickers). Is there a reason as to why there are so many on Long Island?

Is there something in the water? Something to do with the Nuclear power plant? Radiation from Radar testing across the LI Sound? Or could it be the great special ed programs? The great medical centers?

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not in anyway trying to be insensitive and offend anyone but I can't be the only one that thinks this. I'm sure there are some statistics that backs this up. Is there an autism heat map?? I am just curious as to why out of all places I've lived in the past, I encounter far more autistic people on Long Island than anywhere else.

Anyone?
It doesn't look like it has to do with the characteristics of WHERE anyone lives, but with the characteristics of what type of parent is more likely to be aware of/able to recognize autism:

Autism 'Clusters' Linked To Parents' Education : NPR

Quote:
Clusters of children diagnosed with autism tend to occur in places where parents are older, more educated, and white, according to a study by researchers at the University of California, Davis.

The study found no link to local pollution or chemical exposures — which some consumer groups have cited as possible causes of autism clusters.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/boos...-surprise.html

Quote:
UC Davis researchers searching for autism clusters in hopes of finding an environmental cause for the disorder have identified 10 clusters around the state, but the source of the clusters is not exactly what they expected. The clusters, including five in metropolitan Los Angeles and one in San Diego, are centered on regional developmental services centers in areas with highly educated parents, primarily Caucasians, with high incomes.
And here's another story about an autism outbreak/cluster occurring in Somali people:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/17/he...l?pagewanted=1

Autism is a mystery disease for sure.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:09 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I would agree. And our solution is to just "drug" everyone up. Lets NOT find out why.

Actually, there is a lot of research being done (thanks to many fundraisers, including the Long Island Walk for Autism), including at Cold Spring Harbor Labs in Cold Spring Harbor (yes, Walter, the one on Main St. in CSH ).

Old 09-06-2011, 06:53 PM

15 posts, read 25,909 times
My autistic son was born in Colorado, we wound up in NY because the state has some of the best services in the country. NY has great programs for older autistics, wonderful transportation options--in Suffolk County, and a larger population to afford opportunities for friendships and relationships.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:10 PM

247 posts, read 510,773 times
I think Autism is increasing, and general, and in such a densely populated place such as LI, of course it is going to seem like "more" people have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island