Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:28 PM

257 posts, read 753,096 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how flexible you are, but maybe if you search for 1.5 baths instead of 2, you'll find more in your price range....it might be easy to add a tub and/or shower stall down the road, and it would save you now.

Also don't totally rule out the south shore due to flooding. If you buy north of Sunrise it's a non issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 07:34 PM

22,747 posts, read 37,003,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I would also recommend Garden City and Rockville Centre ).
There hasn't been a house for sale in Garden City for under $350K in at least 10 years!???

Old 09-30-2011, 08:25 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,761,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeNYC View Post
What is the lipa plant?

I looked a little in Glen Cove and liked some of the homes, but not the areas these homes were in. I looked as far as Seaford as per recommendations, which has beautiful homes, but the commute would be hard. Honestly though, we can't have it all, so we may have to sacrifice and eat the commute in order to have a nice home in a safe area, so we aren't cutting out Seaford.

East Meadow had our favorites so far, homes in decent condition and I read a good school district. Anyone have opinions on East Meadow?

We found some dreamy homes that were very affordable, then found out they were short sales, so we learned quickly that a great price usually means short sale
I actually grew up in East Meadow. I have good memories from the town and I remember that there were alot of families around so there will always be plenty of children for your kids to play with.

That being said, I dont think the school district is the best. I actually went to Holy Trinity high school but all of my local friends went to East Meadow high school. About half of them are successful but the other half are not doing so great (drugs, drinking, no motivation to better themselves, still living at home at 30 something). All my friends from Holy Trinity have been successful and that is what Im using as a comparison. I know its not quite a fair comparison but its just my experience

Old 10-03-2011, 01:03 AM

4 posts, read 4,083 times
Default Seaford

Seaford, a small town, in between wantagh and massapequa

Old 10-03-2011, 07:08 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,824,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Some good suggestions. But there's something like 30 properties under $360k with low LI taxes in Massapequa SD that might work for the OP (this area might be a little far if they want real close to Queens though). Wantagh proper may be the most unaffordable with only a few under $360k I believe.
I'm chiming in late.

Depending on where in Queens, Massapequa's not a bad ride. I had family in Bayside and it was about 30-35mins door-to-door.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,824,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeNYC View Post
What is the lipa plant?

I looked a little in Glen Cove and liked some of the homes, but not the areas these homes were in. I looked as far as Seaford as per recommendations, which has beautiful homes, but the commute would be hard. Honestly though, we can't have it all, so we may have to sacrifice and eat the commute in order to have a nice home in a safe area, so we aren't cutting out Seaford.

East Meadow had our favorites so far, homes in decent condition and I read a good school district. Anyone have opinions on East Meadow?

We found some dreamy homes that were very affordable, then found out they were short sales, so we learned quickly that a great price usually means short sale

Seaford over East Meadow.

Where are you commuting to?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 AM

14 posts, read 34,210 times
Not sure of your budget but initially I would have suggested Garden City or Port Washington but since you are outpriced of Manhasset, you may be priced out of those as well. There are some nice pockets in Franklin Square that are very accessible to Queens.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM

19 posts, read 30,940 times
I live in Hicksville. Taxes are low, the elementary school we have is excellent (Fork Lane) and I know some of the others are good too. Middle school and high school are ok.
I think with the housing prices being so low now you could find something. Just make sure it's a nice area of Hicksville. There's a mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island