Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Because they work just as hard as anyone else (regardless of what they get paid) My husband is also a blue collar worker and he gets tips from time to time. If you give good service then getting a tip is a bonus. I am not saying i tip every person under the sun. Well if a person does not do a great job or is late to a job why should they get a tip?? The person who gets the tip is going to remember the person who gave it to them and when that person calls for service again they may come back and do another great job, but not always. Trust me blue collar workers appreciate tips. Is it mandatory?? no but it is nice to receive a little something extra, it tells them "hey you did a great job and thanks for taking care of the problem" JMO but I think those that don't tip at all are either cheap or just inconsiderate.

Sorry, but no. "Giving good service" is what we call doing your job. You know...the thing you get a paycheck for. Not tipping because they're not doing their job is setting the bar awfully low. If someone goes above and beyond, does more than their job, then tipping is appropriate. But this mamby-pamby mentality of rewarding people for meeting the expectations of their job is getting silly. Ohhhhh, the girl at Dunkin Donuts made a cup of coffee and gave me a pre-made donut that is 3 feet away from me! Got to tip 'em! oh, the cable repairman whose job it is is to go out and repair customer's cable (it;s right there in the name!) actually reapirs your cable and ohhhhh, gets a tip!

Rewarding for mediocrity prevents striving for excellence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Because they work just as hard as anyone else (regardless of what they get paid) My husband is also a blue collar worker and he gets tips from time to time. If you give good service then getting a tip is a bonus. I am not saying i tip every person under the sun. Well if a person does not do a great job or is late to a job why should they get a tip?? The person who gets the tip is going to remember the person who gave it to them and when that person calls for service again they may come back and do another great job, but not always. Trust me blue collar workers appreciate tips. Is it mandatory?? no but it is nice to receive a little something extra, it tells them "hey you did a great job and thanks for taking care of the problem" JMO but I think those that don't tip at all are either cheap or just inconsiderate.
That is laughable. Just "blue collar" workers though, huh? Should I tip UPS/FEdex too? but don't tip my accountant, right?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 AM

147 posts, read 543,777 times
I tip my cable guy and most repair guys who come to my home. On a separate note, I don't give "xmas tips" to my mailman, garbage man, ups guy at the end of the year......

Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
Would you tip a floor refinisher who is charging $1500? Some people say no, and other say I should be building in 10% to tip them.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:16 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
Sorry, but no. "Giving good service" is what we call doing your job. You know...the thing you get a paycheck for. Not tipping because they're not doing their job is setting the bar awfully low. If someone goes above and beyond, does more than their job, then tipping is appropriate. But this mamby-pamby mentality of rewarding people for meeting the expectations of their job is getting silly. Ohhhhh, the girl at Dunkin Donuts made a cup of coffee and gave me a pre-made donut that is 3 feet away from me! Got to tip 'em! oh, the cable repairman whose job it is is to go out and repair customer's cable (it;s right there in the name!) actually reapirs your cable and ohhhhh, gets a tip!

Rewarding for mediocrity prevents striving for excellence.
Yeah I never thought of it that way

Old 09-20-2011, 11:33 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
yes, though i always love the excuse "well they only make such and such an hour, so the need tips to survive"

Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,602 times
I tipped once when he had to gothrough the crawlspace basement to pull the cable from there into the living room and he had to move my washing machine to get there, so I gave him $10. I also once tipped UPS guy $20 because we ordered closets online and 20 boxes, with a total weight of 600 lbs came and he unloaded everything neatly into our garage and double-checked to make sure all the boxes were there.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
I tipped once when he had to gothrough the crawlspace basement to pull the cable from there into the living room and he had to move my washing machine to get there, so I gave him $10. I also once tipped UPS guy $20 because we ordered closets online and 20 boxes, with a total weight of 600 lbs came and he unloaded everything neatly into our garage and double-checked to make sure all the boxes were there.

Both of those cases are appropriate. The cable guys job is NOT to move major appliances in order to do his job.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:13 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
I tip anyone that does work in or outside my house. I even offer them something to eat or drink. got that from my parents.
Same here...but from my grandparents.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:19 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
Both of those cases are appropriate. The cable guys job is NOT to move major appliances in order to do his job.
My cable guy had to move my couch and it weighs a ton. I helped him. He said cable techs cant move furniture in case something gets damaged, they are not at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island