Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:23 AM

7 posts, read 9,494 times

Advertisements

I have a mother daughter home in Wantagh. My tenant hasn’t paid the rent in four months and I need the funds to pay my mortgage. What options are open to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 06:39 AM

656 posts, read 1,063,714 times
You need to get to court. Nassau County is extremely tenant friendly and you want to ensure you follow all the proper procedures in attempting to evict. I would probably at this point hire an attorney to handle the matter for you. Make no contact with the tenant. Why on earth did you wait 4 months? If the rent is 2 weeks late you need to start making preparations to evict. Beware that on top of the 4 months rent you have lost if your tenant doesn't willingly vacacte you will need to pay for strorage, involve and pay the sheriff and go to court. I am sorry to hear this but sadly this is the tale of many landlords currently as tenants have wised up to game the system that is skewed so heavily in their favor.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:41 AM

656 posts, read 1,063,714 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...n-process.html

See this thread for more detailed discussion.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:04 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,984,851 times
Mother/daughters are not legal 2 family homes. You are going to open yourself up to a world of hurt if you start pushing legal actions.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:34 AM

7 posts, read 9,494 times
Thank you all very much for your honest assessments.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:02 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,716,021 times
This is why I think renters in Nassau County are lowlifes in general. No skin in the game for them. They can screw anyone..from the landlord to the taxpayers.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,772,879 times
If it is not a legal apartment, your options are pretty limited. You can legally evict them, but then you should expect a visit from the town.

Although it's distasteful, I would offer them some money to move out. Sometimes you can accomplish this simply by telling them, "If you are out by next week, I won't pursue you for the back rent". Sometimes it takes some cash.

I don't know why you let it go this far. My advice to landlords is always "If they haven't paid the rent by the second week of the month, what makes you think they'll have 2 months rent by the first." If someone is 2 weeks overdue, start moving to get them out. You can always stop the proceding if they manage to get up to date in the meantime.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,346,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuznjames51 View Post
I have a mother daughter home in Wantagh. My tenant hasn’t paid the rent in four months and I need the funds to pay my mortgage. What options are open to me?
Renting out apartments in mother/daughter homes is illegal.

Next time buy a house you can actually AFFORD.

If you have to resort to collecting illegal income in order to pay the mortgage, you cannot afford the house.

Everything they said on this thread is true regarding the difficulty of getting rid of these tenants. Good luck getting rid of them.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:17 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,419,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Renting out apartments in mother/daughter homes is illegal.

Next time buy a house you can actually AFFORD.

If you have to resort to collecting illegal income in order to pay the mortgage, you cannot afford the house.

Everything they said on this thread is true regarding the difficulty of getting rid of these tenants. Good luck getting rid of them.
Yep, you should only buy a house you can afford.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:23 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,351,098 times
Yeah, you should only buy a house you can afford, like one of those 5500Sq ft McMansions in Manorville. Just get an interest only loan with a low teaser, than buy two cars and a small boat. Install paver driveway, then stop paying the mortgage and live in house for two years until the bank forecloses on you. Take your cash and rent in a mother/daughter in Nassau.
I mean, can't you just be like everyone else? You know, RESPONSIBLE.
The NERVE of some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island