Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 08:10 AM

225 posts, read 716,150 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone... I'm interested in purchasing a 2bdrm co-op in Hewlett & have a question regarding the star rebate that I would be eligible for.

The seller's currently receive a star rebate of $112 for their school taxes each month. This is deducted off their maintenance bill monthly.... By me purchasing the co-op, do I automatically receive the same rebate? Keep in mind, the sellers do not receive the enhanced star program....I am not a senior citizen or make over $250k/yr.

Are there any other factors involved which would determine whether or not my rebate would be more/less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 AM

68 posts, read 197,958 times
I'm also going through this and I was told that I will not receive the rebate automatically. I have to reapply for Basic Star as the new owner.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:21 AM

225 posts, read 716,150 times
When you apply for the rebate, what is it based on (basically will I get the same credit as the sellers?) and how long do you have to wait to receive the credit? Is it 1 year??

Also, does STAR apply to everyone, or just seniors and those individuals who don't have kids in the public school system?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,168,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
When you apply for the rebate, what is it based on (basically will I get the same credit as the sellers?) and how long do you have to wait to receive the credit? Is it 1 year??

Also, does STAR apply to everyone, or just seniors and those individuals who don't have kids in the public school system?
Here's an overview with FAQs from the NYS website.
If you bought a new residence, you need to file by March 1st to be eligible for the following tax year's STAR exemption. Amounts vary by School District.

STAR - New York State's School Tax Relief Program

Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,820,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
Hello everyone... I'm interested in purchasing a 2bdrm co-op in Hewlett & have a question regarding the star rebate that I would be eligible for.

The seller's currently receive a star rebate of $112 for their school taxes each month. This is deducted off their maintenance bill monthly.... By me purchasing the co-op, do I automatically receive the same rebate? Keep in mind, the sellers do not receive the enhanced star program....I am not a senior citizen or make over $250k/yr.

Are there any other factors involved which would determine whether or not my rebate would be more/less?
STAR - NYS Office of Real Property Tax Services

Your STAR rebate is based on the value of the property and the school taxes it generates. Your STAR rebate reduces your assessment by $30,000 against the assessed valuation: If the valuation for the house is $300,000, the STAR takes $30,000 off and you pay taxes on $270,000.... if the house is worth $100,000, STA reduces it by $30,000 to $70,000 for tax purposes.

If you just bought the place, chances are it will be reassessed. If your assessment is higher, you will still get a STAR of $30,000 but on a higher assessment, you pay higher taxes. If the assessment went down, you will get more.

BTW: the STAR as described is not "paid" to you. It is simply reduced school taxes. The STAR rebates ( which is a check to you ) stopped a few years back.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,168,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
STAR - NYS Office of Real Property Tax Services

Your STAR rebate is based on the value of the property and the school taxes it generates. Your STAR rebate reduces your assessment by $30,000 against the assessed valuation: If the valuation for the house is $300,000, the STAR takes $30,000 off and you pay taxes on $270,000.... if the house is worth $100,000, STA reduces it by $30,000 to $70,000 for tax purposes.

If you just bought the place, chances are it will be reassessed. If your assessment is higher, you will still get a STAR of $30,000 but on a higher assessment, you pay higher taxes. If the assessment went down, you will get more.

BTW: the STAR as described is not "paid" to you. It is simply reduced school taxes. The STAR rebates ( which is a check to you ) stopped a few years back.
The use of the word "rebate" might be confusing to the OP.

As of this moment, there are no houses assessed for less than $30,000 , so that every homeowner is eligible for the full STAR reduction on their primary residence, (regardless of whether it's assessed at $300,000 market value or $900,000 market value) if the household income does not exceed $500,000. The amount of the STAR reduction is based on the School District.

Also, on Long Island, it is NOT customary for a house to be reassessed just because it changed hands. If improvements are made after the purchase which require a permit, that could be different - depending on the type and scope of the improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island