Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:17 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

Here is the story from Newsday Mobile for all to read:

Top Stories Item

Here's two sentences from the article:

Quote:
Krumpter cited a number of possible reasons for the decline, including last winter's severe weather, the effectiveness of red-light cameras, more drivers following the speed limit or the retirement of some high-output ticket writers.

He also expressed "concern" that police may have slowed their activity intentionally in the wake of heated fights over pay and benefits involving County Executive Edward Mangano and the Police Benevolent Association.
Look at the bright side. Less expensive tickets for them to ream us out with. I'll wave as I go past Dunkin Donuts, 7-11 and the vollie firehouses where those on the "Golden Job" will be reclining instead of writing tickets!

PS: If you can get into the regular Newsday site, the reader comments are crazy as usual!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
You wouldn't be reamed out if you were a good girl and obeyed the rules.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
You wouldn't be reamed out if you were a good girl and obeyed the rules.
I'm thinking of the expert drivers, you know, the ones who get tickets because the cops are WRONG! ME? A rank amateur.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:53 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
They only get tickets because they didn't read the new manual...Driving by Lima.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:55 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
The cops are throwing a hissy fit because they were told that their salaries, benefits, and pensions are unsustainable (which is a correct assessment IMO). Rather than negotiate a fair deal that would beneift all parties involved; the government, the taxpayers, and the cops they decide to "slow down". Typical union move to force others to accept their requests.

The reality is that in the SCPD and NCPD most patrol officers do not operate from the precincts but rather they do their shift changes at a firehouse, government building, school, etc or at a patrol substation; the NCPD 3rd Pct has one by The Source mall in Westbury, SCPD formerly had them but I believe they have all been closed. Hence the need for precincts is not that great and their purpose is mainly for administrative/management officers (the Lieutenants, Captains, Deputy Inspectors, Inspectors, etc), civilian staff, and the precinct detective squad. The NCPD could be cut down to 2 or 3 precincts and it wouldent affect patrol operations at all. It's not like in the NYPD where officers have this roll call standing at attention before the station sergeant in the precinct before they start their shift.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 PM

290 posts, read 583,242 times
The problem with your theory is that if there is any evidence of an organized conspiracy, through the Taylor Law, the county could, and I'm sure would, exact a financially painful penalty from the PBA. Simply put, it's not being led or organized by the union.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
The problem with your theory is that if there is any evidence of an organized conspiracy, through the Taylor Law, the county could, and I'm sure would, exact a financially painful penalty from the PBA. Simply put, it's not being led or organized by the union.
Like the union heads are going to be sending e-mails around telling cops to ramp down on tickets? It only takes word of mouth. You don't think that might enter in the conversation between the 2 cops in the cars hanging out in the bushes of the LIE on a Friday night?.....You think they're discussing 19th Century English Literature?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:58 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Maybe it's because fewer people can afford gas or car payments.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
It would probably be hard to find any evidence. If the police officer comes off shift and says, "I didn't see anyone breaking any traffic laws," what can they do? Say, "You're a liar!" I doubt it. I don't think ticket writing quotas are legal either.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Be careful the county will have to make up for the lost revenue some how
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island