Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:16 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,204,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I would say the Huntington school district reputation is at an all-time low.
Reputation doesn't always equal reality.

And what goes on in the neighborhood(s), is not necessarily a reflection of the quality of the education at the school(s). Talk to parents and students and get the "inside" scoop before dismissing it entirely.

Why not find out for yourself what the schools are all about. Did you know that 92% of the graduates go on to college? And plenty of Ivy's in there as well! Yes, that's inspite of the presence of many "underprivileged" students who need to be taught English before they can attend regular classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiny View Post
I actually was there 2 weekends ago and I love the neighborhood but the SD is what shyed me away. It's funny, the house i looked at was called Huntington Manor but was in Huntington Station. The few block radious of the house I was looking at was great, but we ultimately decided we didn't like the SD reputation and #'s on great school stats.

If it wasn't for the SD I would have probably jumped on this particular house, but I'm sure it's cheaper than comparable houses in other SD for a reason.

Huntington Manor is a Section in Huntington Station, just like Gatke Park, etc.
BTW, was the house on Mara by any chance?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:37 PM

117 posts, read 282,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Huntington Manor is a Section in Huntington Station, just like Gatke Park, etc.
BTW, was the house on Mara by any chance?
Winoka and Bennett

The SD scared us, especially the elementary school, Washington I believe the name was. When we looked it up it had bad reviews by greatschools and parent reviews.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:09 PM

54 posts, read 330,747 times
I'm thinking the SD isn't the end-all-be-all of this, considering we don't even have kids yet. When we start having kids, we will have at the very least 5 yrs to relocate. Sounds about right since this is our first house and we would like to move onto bigger and better in the future...

So it's really just about the neighborhood itself at this point. I checked out stuff on the census bureau already...

With that being said, it basically comes to location vs. wish list. This house has basically everything on our wishlist.

Just curious, when you guys debated purchasing a certain house, which won - location or the "wish list"?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:50 PM

5,086 posts, read 3,984,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J1016 View Post
I'm thinking the SD isn't the end-all-be-all of this, considering we don't even have kids yet. When we start having kids, we will have at the very least 5 yrs to relocate. Sounds about right since this is our first house and we would like to move onto bigger and better in the future...

So it's really just about the neighborhood itself at this point. I checked out stuff on the census bureau already...

With that being said, it basically comes to location vs. wish list. This house has basically everything on our wishlist.

Just curious, when you guys debated purchasing a certain house, which won - location or the "wish list"?
Without beating a dead horse there is no doubt the reputation of the school district has a large effect on the price so be sure you are getting a very good price and consider the future resale of your property.
I always thought it was location location location in the real estate game. Given the falling prices and the location don't be afraid to offer low..you can always go up.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Without beating a dead horse there is no doubt the reputation of the school district has a large effect on the price so be sure you are getting a very good price and consider the future resale of your property.
I always thought it was location location location in the real estate game. Given the falling prices and the location don't be afraid to offer low..you can always go up.
#1 - this is what I still don't understand - with some multi-million dollar properties in huntington, do people move there under the assumption of sending their kids to private school? can't imagine they all do...

#2 - location may be the best buying/selling tool, IF you have extra money to do whatever you want to the house itself... we do not, and therefore need a house that is liveable (and trust me, not many are in our price range in our ideal location!) give some, lose some I guess

and yes, we do plan on offering much lower than asking, would be silly not to on any house in this market...

Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 PM

465 posts, read 1,713,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J1016 View Post
#2 - location may be the best buying/selling tool, IF you have extra money to do whatever you want to the house itself... we do not, and therefore need a house that is liveable (and trust me, not many are in our price range in our ideal location!) give some, lose some I guess
We moved to the neighborhood in question under very similar circumstances as you. First time buyers, the house we really liked, it was mostly updated to our taste, it was on a private woodsy hilltop plot, and the location was convenient to the village which was a priority for us at that time in our lives. We knew we would eventually move as the location, hill property, double yellow winding road, and SD were not what we wanted for our kids to grow up with. That being said it took a long time to find a buyer and showing the house with young children wasn't fun (it sucked!). You can weigh whether what if down the road you don't end up moving (for reasons unknown at this time) and your priorities now and maybe find a balance.

there is nothing wrong with the neighborhood, some houses are kept better than others and its just a bit close to some undesirable areas.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrees View Post
it was on a private woodsy hilltop plot, and the location was convenient to the village which was a priority for us at that time in our lives. We knew we would eventually move as the location, hill property, double yellow winding road, and SD were not what we wanted for our kids to grow up with. That being said it took a long time to find a buyer .
That'll take longer to sell in any school district... Most people want a flat ("usable") backyard and double yellow roads are not appealing to many either, regardless of where the property is.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 PM

I definitely appreciate all the responses! It's not even that this house is upgraded as to our specifications, it's more about the bones of the house - the floor plan and bedroom to bathroom, to living space ratios that are what we were looking for. And yes, finally a kitchen we wouldn't have to gut and sink 20 grand into right away... yet there are still things we can do in the longrun to increase value from what it is right now.
Luckily, this house has a fairly flat yard, and is not on a main road so hopefully that will help. Plus, I tend to think that Huntington will always be desirable, b/c let's face it - it's still a nice area on the north shore, and there's a far worse on this island!

I know I read somewhere on this board that zoning lines can change between years, but how exactly can I find out which elementary school(s) the house would be located in?

Old 12-14-2011, 12:45 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,650,326 times
When we moved to Stony Brook years ago, the house's amenities won over the so-so area. After living there about a year, we came to regret the decision. There would have been much more satisfaction in living in a better area. And we were there 23 years - we certainly didn't expect to be there for that amount of time. But life takes over sometimes. Our original plan was to stay in this particular house for 2 or 3 years and then move. That didn't happen.

We waited for our son to graduate Ward Melville HS before we moved to Huntington. That speaks volumes about Huntington SD 3.

About the area you're interested in, IMHO it's an "iffy" area. You'd be maybe 1/4 mile away from trouble in the Station. That's all.

If I were in your shoes, I'd seriously check out Northport. A beautiful area, cute little town, it's on the water - you could have a boat, community feel, etc., etc. And the big bonus is that the school district is very good - right up there with Harborfields. I know you don't have kids yet, but it sounds like that's in the offing, and what a pain it will be to have to pick up everything and move just for a school district. Because that's what it sounds like you're planning to do. If you think house hunting is difficult now, you ought to try it with kids in the picture. Plus it's expensive to buy and sell a house - closing costs, moving costs, etc.

It's worth the effort now to find a really good house in a really good area with a really good school district all at the same time. Then you don't have relocation hanging over your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island