Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 AM

322 posts, read 937,346 times

Advertisements

I like going to the Tanger Outlet at the Arches in Deer Park, but it drives me nuts that they post signs around the mall stating no smoking and no pets, yet every time I visit I walk through mine fields of cigarette smoke or hear little yapper dogs going crazy.

When they first opened there were security guards around every corner. Now I only see building maintenance and cleanup crews so no one enforces the policies. And for some reason, the trash bins around the mall have ash trays on top of them!?

I actually don't mind if someone walked around with their pet (as long as they cleaned up after them) but obviously you can't enforce one rule and disregard another.

Another rule breaker: the Christmas Tree Shop posts a large sign saying not to take their shopping carts beyond their store and supplements this with magnetic brakes on the cart that activate if one does. And yet there are always people attempting to move them past the sign and get angry when it locks up. However, several carts do make it past the sign and people walk into other stores with them even though the store aisles are not spaced out enough to allow shopping carts. I actually heard one lady argue with a store manager that she needed the cart because her hip was bad once she was told she couldn't be in the store with it. She was then told to leave the cart outside or she had to leave the store. Guess which option she chose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 10:30 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,493 times
So what is your rant that the smoke bothers you? That they are not enough people enforcing the rules? What is your issue with the carts? That people are braking the law and things are out of order?

I have a rant. Items bought in some of these stores are made by people pretty much working as slaves in other countries. I hate smoke so don't like walking through it but if you want to kill your self then so be it and just step on the owner (not the dog) and life would be all better.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,703,654 times
poor baby...you sound upset

Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
little yapper dogs
Those are fashion accessories, not pets.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,290 times
have some cheese with that whine.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:52 AM

Well it won't be a romantic dinner with out the worlds smallest violin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
have some cheese with that whine.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:56 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
I like going to the Tanger Outlet at the Arches in Deer Park, but it drives me nuts that they post signs around the mall stating no smoking and no pets, yet every time I visit I walk through mine fields of cigarette smoke or hear little yapper dogs going crazy.

When they first opened there were security guards around every corner. Now I only see building maintenance and cleanup crews so no one enforces the policies. And for some reason, the trash bins around the mall have ash trays on top of them!?

I actually don't mind if someone walked around with their pet (as long as they cleaned up after them) but obviously you can't enforce one rule and disregard another.

Another rule breaker: the Christmas Tree Shop posts a large sign saying not to take their shopping carts beyond their store and supplements this with magnetic brakes on the cart that activate if one does. And yet there are always people attempting to move them past the sign and get angry when it locks up. However, several carts do make it past the sign and people walk into other stores with them even though the store aisles are not spaced out enough to allow shopping carts. I actually heard one lady argue with a store manager that she needed the cart because her hip was bad once she was told she couldn't be in the store with it. She was then told to leave the cart outside or she had to leave the store. Guess which option she chose?

Whats the world comming too.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:06 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,498 times
i can relate to this frustration...though I normally just talk really loud about the infraction to whomever I am with. "I THOUGHT THEY DIDN'T ALLOW ANNOYING DOGS AT THE ARCHES?!" Usually I get a glare and my job is done. No one is going to tell them otherwise.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 AM

Some would say this is passive aggressive behavior which may be a screen for a bigger issue. Again just step on the owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
i can relate to this frustration...though I normally just talk really loud about the infraction to whomever I am with. "I THOUGHT THEY DIDN'T ALLOW ANNOYING DOGS AT THE ARCHES?!" Usually I get a glare and my job is done. No one is going to tell them otherwise.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 AM

322 posts, read 937,346 times
My issue is that not only do people blatantly disregard the rules because for some reason they do not pertain to them, but the people who should be enforcing those rules could care less if they are followed or not. The "No Smoking or Pets" rule is for people to enjoy an outdoor shopping experience and not be disturbed by smelly odors or loud noises. But there always seems to be those people who don't care or try to rationalize it: "Oh, I'm outside so the smoke just disappears. It's not bothering anyone." Yes, I'm more peeved by the smoking issue than the pet issue. The shopping cart thing is just laughable.
I just don't understand why it's so hard for some people to follow the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island