Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 01:40 PM

54 posts, read 336,134 times

Advertisements

For Business.

Which is better? Which has the better reputation? If you graduated from one of these, what was your experience there?

Molloy College (in Rockville Centre) or Saint Joseph's College (in Patchogue).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 06:45 PM

166 posts, read 313,588 times
St. Joe's also has the option of attending the Brooklyn campus if you want to experience something besides patchogue for your college years. Not sure about Malloy. Possible benefit ??

Old 12-26-2011, 12:39 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Neither one. Honestly they are not the type of college that will lend themselves to networking and the establishment of valuable contacts.

On Long Island, I would say Hofstra comes the closest.

Both of those colleges are very easy to get into, and in the business world, that's important.
If you are only looking for a Catholic college, there are many good ones in your field. They are just not in Nassau or Suffolk counties.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:20 AM

654 posts, read 2,119,738 times
I graduated from Molloy. Small school. Great student teacher ratio. Faculty is in tune with each other and there to assist students.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:24 AM

166 posts, read 313,588 times
Did you get a good job when you graduated (or any job, for that matter) ?

Old 12-26-2011, 02:45 PM

239 posts, read 509,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Neither one. Honestly they are not the type of college that will lend themselves to networking and the establishment of valuable contacts.

Both of those colleges are very easy to get into, and in the business world, that's important.
If you are only looking for a Catholic college, there are many good ones in your field. They are just not in Nassau or Suffolk counties.
I hear what you are saying, but what you said is not completely true. It actually depends what field one wants to go into.

Molloy has an excellent nursing program, and is probably the best school on Long Island for nursing. Molloy College ranked #5 in best pay for nursing graduates. My cousin went to Molloy for nursing and now works at NYU hospital.

St. Joseph's College has a pretty reputable teaching program. A lot of their graduates went on to teach in top districts before the economic recession.

As I said it all depends on what program someone is interested in. If one is interested in finance or science, then I would say Molloy and St. Joseph's wouldn't be a good choice.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:33 PM

149 posts, read 360,174 times
I don't think any of those schools have a "reputation" to be honest. Most of the kids from my HS that went there were kind of the slackers. Just being honest.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:43 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
I hear what you are saying, but what you said is not completely true. It actually depends what field one wants to go into.

Molloy has an excellent nursing program, and is probably the best school on Long Island for nursing. Molloy College ranked #5 in best pay for nursing graduates. My cousin went to Molloy for nursing and now works at NYU hospital.

St. Joseph's College has a pretty reputable teaching program. A lot of their graduates went on to teach in top districts before the economic recession.

As I said it all depends on what program someone is interested in. If one is interested in finance or science, then I would say Molloy and St. Joseph's wouldn't be a good choice.

They are both OK is Nursing (Molloy) and teaching (St Josephs)

They are FAR from the best colleges on Long Island in either field.
Molloy is ranked "competitive" (which only meany that not everyone gets in)

St. Joseph is ranked as "less competitive", which means that almost everyone gets in.

Neither is noted for business. The OP asked for colleges that had good business programs. Neither are noted for business. They are pretty much easy to get into, commuter schools.

I would still recommend Hofstra, or leaving Long Island.

Stony Brook is less expensive than either Molloy or or St. Joseph's. Better rep all around, well known and well regarded. If they will accept you, go there.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:31 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Not to speak about the other schools, but I just don't think that Hofstra is worth the investment. There is no garuantee that paying that much for college will provide you with better opportunity, in this economy, more than likely it will just saddle you with more debt. Best bet is probably a public school (SUNY / CUNY)

Old 12-27-2011, 06:12 AM

54 posts, read 336,134 times
Are there any other schools on Long Island that are good for business besides SUNY/CUNY or Hofstra?

What about

Adelphi?
CW Post?
Dowling?
Briarcliffe?

Last edited by KeepTheIslanders50; 12-27-2011 at 06:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island