Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 03:03 AM

25 posts, read 163,294 times

Advertisements

Anyone been to either college and could tell me more about them? I like Nassau's proximity to NYC but Suffolk seems to have the friendlier people (faculty and students) from what I've read. Suffolk's tuition and fees are also cheaper for me as an international student. Academics and reputation-wise which college has it better?

Any info you can provide will be much appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 05:48 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
Went to Nassau back in the early 90's. Thought it was a good school, i'm sure they are both equal.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:02 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
I am in Suffolk now doing the accounting program. Its my second semester there. 99% of the teachers are great. The classes are ok ; biggest I have had was 31, smallest was 10.
My friends have and are in the nursing program and are doing ok also.

As a mature student, I think its the best bang for your buck. Go to the community for your associates and then transfer for the batchelors ; at least that way you can save some money and put it towards the next college.

Good luck

Old 03-27-2010, 07:34 AM

I was leaning more towards Suffolk but then changed my mind when I saw how much closer to NYC Nassau was over Suffolk! Are the areas surrounding both schools safe? Nassau is in Garden City which I have read is a good and affluent area, but Hempstead is right in the NCC's immediate surroundings. I understand that is one of the more dangerous areas in LI.

Also, I'm assuming that Suffolk has cheaper rents than Nassau?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:37 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
Nassau is safe. If you plan on renting an apartment I would probably wouldn't look in Hempstead. But my feeling is the campus is safe.

I took some adult ed classes there for fun, photography and tennis and never felt unsafe.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:57 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
What made you decide to come here from another country and go to community college on LI? Not putting you down, just wondering.

Nassau is supposed to be one of the best community colleges. Garden City, forget, you probably can't afford it. Also forget Hempstead- you are right, it's a very bad place to be. Will you have a car? I would suggest maybe looking for something in East Meadow.

It's not necessarily true that Suffolk has cheaper rents. It depends on the neighbourhoods you are looking at. I've lived in Nassau all my life, and I would never live in Suffolk due how far it is from the city. If NYC is important to you and plan on visiting alot, Nassau would def. be a better bet.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:15 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Nassau and Suffolk are widely seen as two of the better community colleges out there. Alot of the adjunct faculty teach at both as well as at other SUNY colleges/universities or private colleges on the Island.

In my time at SCCC I have only had one professor that was truly incompetent and he is no longer employed by the college. Pretty much every other professor has been on top of their game and willing to do anything including off campus tutoring to help their students.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
What made you decide to come here from another country and go to community college on LI? Not putting you down, just wondering.

Nassau is supposed to be one of the best community colleges. Garden City, forget, you probably can't afford it. Also forget Hempstead- you are right, it's a very bad place to be. Will you have a car? I would suggest maybe looking for something in East Meadow.

It's not necessarily true that Suffolk has cheaper rents. It depends on the neighbourhoods you are looking at. I've lived in Nassau all my life, and I would never live in Suffolk due how far it is from the city. If NYC is important to you and plan on visiting alot, Nassau would def. be a better bet.
I want to transfer into NYU at some point, so Nassau would be a good place to start I suppose. Also you would be surprised how many international students take this route. You're saying I wouldn't even be able to rent a room in an apartment somewhere in Garden city near the school?

And I'm considering Long Island because of its proximity to NYC. NYC itself doesn't have very good CC's.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:29 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecouture View Post
I want to transfer into NYU at some point, so Nassau would be a good place to start I suppose. Also you would be surprised how many international students take this route. You're saying I wouldn't even be able to rent a room in an apartment somewhere in Garden city near the school?

And I'm considering Long Island because of its proximity to NYC. NYC itself doesn't have very good CC's.
I'm not saying it's impossible entirely, but Garden City is one of most affluent areas on the island.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm not saying it's impossible entirely, but Garden City is one of most affluent areas on the island.
I don't think the residents of Garden City have to rent rooms to students to make ends meet, so I don't think you will find much there.

Contact NCC and ask if they have any advice for students in your situation or if they have a Dept. that advises on housing or even has a bulletin board where people willing to rent rooms to students can post openings.

In the meantime, here are a few places in Nassau to avoid renting in:

Hempstead (you're right; it is a dangerous area for LI)
Roosevelt
Freeport
Uniondale (some neighborhoods are better than others, but as a transplant you won't have the experience to tell so best to avoid it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island