Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It's ironic that the it's the seniors who were asleep at the switch for so long while this ball got rolling who are now complaining their taxes. That generation voted for anything and everything - I remember my parents always talking about the CRAZY PEOPLE who voted against school budgets, their tune changed once we were all out of school!
Those old bastards took the money and ran anyway.

Boomer pigs sucked the Island dry, sapped us with every ridiculous pension on the planet and are now spending every dime in sunny Fla.
Remember when you could be an average Joe with a GED and your wife could stay home and raise the kids in reasonable middle class suburban comfort?
No, me neither but then again I'm not a Suffolk County Cop.

You can rightly ***** about the teachers too but keep in mind the 2nd income became more than hair and nails money in the 80s.
Mom needed a real paycheck and shorter hours to shoulder the tax burden and raise our kids. I can understand 80-90k for a Teacher.
What I cant understand 160k for a beat Cop or 500k for an Admin when many qualified folks are willing to do those jobs for far less.

Li is very much like the snake eating its tail.

Thanks Me Generation.

Greatest...my ass.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 01-06-2012 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 09:16 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
It's ironic that the it's the seniors who were asleep at the switch for so long while this ball got rolling who are now complaining their taxes. That generation voted for anything and everything - I remember my parents always talking about the CRAZY PEOPLE who voted against school budgets, their tune changed once we were all out of school!
Excellent point, however I wonder if things might have been different had the news coverage of the day been similar to what we have now.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:19 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Those old bastards took the money and ran anyway.

Boomer pigs sucked the Island dry, sapped us with every ridiculous pension on the planet and are now spending every dime in sunny Fla.
Remember when you could be an average Joe with a GED and your wife could stay home and raise the kids in reasonable middle class suburban comfort?
No, me neither but then again I'm not a Suffolk County Cop.

Greatest generation my ass.

Crooks

Wait....that isn't YOUR generation?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
Im not that old pal.

I was a kid when this started.

Crooks

Old 01-06-2012, 09:28 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
It's definitely legal..it's the assessment system that is causing the swings from one property's tax increase to anothers. If the residents in Plainview are not happy about it, they should focus on the fact that half the faculty earn over $100k/yr, and pay little to nothing for their healthcare and pension benefits.

SeeThroughNY :: Payroll-Schools
Pequa if you have a Newsday subscription and can post in the "Comments" section you should post this there so maybe some of them will wake up and smell the coffee already!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Unlike in other parts of the U.S. where they vote on an increase in the property tax rate, in NYS we vote on the budget, not the "estimated" property tax rate, and then the actual property tax rate is calculated by dividing the budget by the sum of the assessed property in the taxing district.
And that's how they get us ... we vote on the budget not knowing how much it will actually cost us in the end!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
LOL!

Did you think crooks was a crochety old senior????

Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
But nothing has changed!

On average 8%...yes 8% of the people allowed to vote actually do. Then they complain about it. When will people wake up, vote and take a stand on all this b.s.?....when everyone is losing their homes?

Quote:

Old 01-06-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
But nothing has changed!

On average 8%...yes 8% of the people allowed to vote actually do. Then they complain about it. When will people wake up, vote and take a stand on all this b.s.?....when everyone is losing their homes?
Excellent point! Nobody wants to be bothered to vote so what do they expect?

Old 01-06-2012, 10:05 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Excellent point! Nobody wants to be bothered to vote so what do they expect?
I voted to approve the admins $400k salary cause they threatened to take away the kid's plastic sporks at lunch and make them play football without helmets. What was I to do? I was terrified of the consequences!

I feared the thread would end up like this. It's just too easy! It's not just Suffolk PD. I just had dinner with a friend who makes $140k teaching 4th grade. We don't discuss it and she doesn't whine cause she knows my wife will reach across the table and slap her upside the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island