Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 PM

93 posts, read 242,751 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with bats? Who to call to get rid of them? How much it costs? I mentioned this to a friend and have learned of 3 other people with bats on LI. It never occurred to me that this would even be a problem.

My sister had a bat in her house last week. She had one in August too. She rents in East Northport on less than 1/4 acre. I guess bats are everywhere though I've never seen one nor did I ever think of them being here. (except now that I think about it, during the west nile virus.)

I googled 'bats in house' and it states if you have 2 bats in the house in one year then you have a colony, especially if one appears in winter (due to hibernation). I assume they are in the walls since there is no attic.

At least this is one of the benefits of being a renter, not having to pay for it. The landlord already stated to deduct the cost from the rent if they feel a pro is needed.

Last edited by franaissance; 01-26-2012 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 05:25 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
There is really no way to keep them out of the house because they can get through a very tiny opening.

When I was a kid my cat caught a bat and brought it into the house. She injured it and it ended up making itself at home, hanging from the shower curtain in the bathroom.

The next day my mom called the town to see if there was any way to get help with this problem and they referred her to this guy who is probably dead by now because this was 30 years ago...but maybe if you call the Town of Huntington they might have a similar place to refer you.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:07 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,573 times
They are good to have around. They eat many bugs,I built a bat house for them.They used to circle my pool in the late after noon to eat Miskitos.(spell?)

Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
I found this online: Read this! Bat Removal: Control, Trapping & Getting Rid of Bats

Old 01-27-2012, 06:16 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,843 times
we always see 3 or 4 of them flying over our backyard on summer nights and swooping down on unsuspecting bugs... but luckily enough, we have no bats in our belfry (as far as i know).

we keep talking about putting up a few bat houses, but thats really low on the priority list

town animal control is not going to remove them for you. you're going to have to pay someone to do it. quick google search on bat removal comes up with a bunch of removal services and exterminators...

this is a short interesting read...
Long Island New York Bat Control Attic Removal

Old 01-27-2012, 07:46 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,493 times
Keep them or please send them my way. We could not go outside last summer because of the insects. I sprayed and sprayed and did everything but the kids got slaughtered.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:03 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,193 times
I believe I read they can carry rabies and to be very careful if bats are in your home. Please have her consult a professional and read up on bats carrying rabies.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Keep them or please send them my way. We could not go outside last summer because of the insects. I sprayed and sprayed and did everything but the kids got slaughtered.
Bats I like

In the last few weeks in my backyard.... I found a baby black bear, two cooperheads an eastern cottonmouth and I believe a partridge in my pear tree.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:22 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
and I believe a partridge in my pear tree.
probably just a pigeon that followed you south

Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,041 times
I think bats are common. When I was a kid living in Bethpage, my friends house always had bats swarming over her garage at night. I now live next to the woods and I can honestly say, I have never seen a bat around AND I live in the town right next to East Northport! It's strange that I haven't seen any. i kind of wish they were there b/c being surrounded by so many trees, etc. i could use something to kill the bees and mosquitoes and other insects. I think I would be freaked out if i saw one in my house though. My friends mother had one in her house not that long ago and her son was able to remove it. Could you imagine seeing this thing hanging upside down in your bathroom or antoher part of the house? My husband would probably think it's cool...not me! LOL..

I recommed getting a professional to remove them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island